Sign in with
Your question

WTF!!!! GTA3 FUCKUP!!!

Last response: in Video Games
July 10, 2002 12:58:17 AM

shouldnt there be some kind of law against releasing a game that's absolutely [-peep-] up and full of bugs!!!!

My rig is almost double the speed of the recommended specs...and i feel like i'm playing the old Carmageddon......WTF!!!

So i went to GTA3.com...and checked the forums over there....ALMOST NO ONE is able to run the game really smooth...even with Ti4600s and XP200+ and 512MB on WinXP....

how the hell can this be left like that...50$ and then u go home...start looking for patches...3Danalysers....turning off setting to make the game look even worse....just to get 25-30FPS!!!!!!!

Unfuckin believable...

I used to really trust gamespot's recommendations....but they never mentioned all that...and it's been in first spot for a couple of weeks........

I wonder noone sued their asses yet....Rockstar i mean....guess this game was meant to run on consoles only afterall....the PS2...
DUH!!!!

More about : wtf gta3 fuckup

July 10, 2002 2:15:16 AM

well maybe you should post your specs especially your video card. I only have a 800mhz Athlon with a Radeon 8500LE and the game runs fine for me with settings slightly higher than the defaults.
July 10, 2002 12:47:52 PM

Gta3 doesn't like Nvidia. Or Nvidia doesn't like the developers/publishers.

Have you got the hacked gta3 drivers? I've not yet used them (not enough time), but I keep hearing they totally rock.
Related resources
July 10, 2002 6:25:19 PM

i'm not sure what part of my rig is causing my problems but i have have some issues with gta3 as well. sometimes walls don't show up until after i hit them and certain portions of the roads are like all blue and crap. i have a p41.6 with 256rdram and a radean8500 AIW dv 64mb.

repeat after me, we are all individuals!
July 10, 2002 9:06:33 PM

Runs great for me at max settings.

Asus p4t
P4 1.7
768RDRAM
GF4 TI4600 w/29.42 drivers
Herc GTXP
WD ATA100 HD
Win XP Pro

The itsy bitsy spider climbed up the empires state building, along came goblin, wiped the spider out
July 10, 2002 9:50:11 PM

well...i'm glsd for you.....but u see....u should be the common..and not the exception.....
Damn...how the hell can a game be released only to find out that the rule is that its all screwed up on ALMOST EVERYONE'S RIG...except for a few like yourself....

As of now...i support piracy 100%...a friend of mine downloaded the game...a mere 138MBs...from KAZAA...and when he found it buggy...didnt buy it,....another pathetic guy like myself...went out and bought the game...due to all the good reviews he read on game's sites....( sites obviously paid off by the game developers )....that guy feels those bucks burning in his pocket....
well..actually not bucks....dont live in the US....and NO...in case anyone is wondering...once u buy anything over here....u're stuck with it....no return policy....

UNBELIEVABLE!!!!!
July 10, 2002 10:00:31 PM

you can't return computer games once you open them in america either.

July 10, 2002 10:20:40 PM

Dude...just...because...you...didn't...like...the...game...doesn't...mean...everyone...else...will...hate...it...too.

But...,...don't...get...me...wrong...,...I...hate...having...to...hit...ctrl-v...every...time...I...have...to...put...these...Gawd...d@mn...dots...between...every...word.

(*whew*)
July 11, 2002 12:27:51 AM

the game runs fine on my comp which is a p3 800 with a geforce 256, except for the occasionally low frame rate when I start largely massacreing the civilian population of liberty city with my rocket launcher. heh.

My friend has the same problem as you do, I don't think its XP related because he even switched operating systems to make it work (went to 2000), but it still didn't work.

No matter how hard you don't want them to, Things eventually change.
July 11, 2002 12:53:40 AM

yeah...agree.....
but in this case....there should be an exception....

like buying a monitor....color and all.......
too bad...only turns out to be monochrome....
OOpss....sorry about that....wear polaroids while using it!!!!!!
July 13, 2002 2:14:04 PM

The game is definitely a CPU hog! I’m running a 1gig tbird with a new Radeon 8500 and a 7200 80gig (8mb cache)HD and the game still runs poorly. Get 6 stars and the game comes to a crawl. Totally unacceptable!

The game runs perfect on a PSII, obviously when they ported it to PC they were more concerned about money then releasing a good product. But what do they care, Rockstar already got their money, no reason to spend it on a patch to improve performance.

<font color=green>1.e4 e5 2.Nf3 Nc6 3.Bc4 Nd4? 4.Nxe5?? Qg5 5.Nxf7 Qxg2 6.Rf1 Qxe4+ 7.Be2 Nf3#</font color=green>
July 13, 2002 8:10:08 PM

ok, i'm not sure if anyone saw this or not but i'm going to say it again in hoped that someone will have an answer because this problem is really damn annoying.

infact i am going to cut and paste from the last time i posted it, so here it is: "i'm not sure what part of my rig is causing my problems but i have have some issues with gta3 as well. sometimes walls don't show up until after i hit them and certain portions of the roads are like all blue and crap. i have a p41.6 with 256rdram and a radean8500 AIW dv 64mb."

all tech support told me to do was to install latest drivers and patches and i have done all that and it still doesn't work, any sugestions?

July 14, 2002 5:37:16 AM

I have a Radeon 8500 and don’t have any image problems, O yea I did have a problem with the fog being so thick the game was unplayable. I posted a link for the fix in another GTA3 thread. But I don’t have any problems you describe, just really slow.

Here is the fog patch for 8500’s http://ati.com/support/infobase/4046.html
My only other idea is try changing the direct X setting (z buffer and other crap) and see if it make a difference.
You might also try reinstalling direct x itself.
Good luck & Cya

<font color=green>1.e4 e5 2.Nf3 Nc6 3.Bc4 Nd4? 4.Nxe5?? Qg5 5.Nxf7 Qxg2 6.Rf1 Qxe4+ 7.Be2 Nf3#</font color=green>
July 14, 2002 9:44:20 AM

My guess is that the game engine is all [-peep-] up....and it cant work properly on a PC....only sporadically on various machines...and there's NO WAY telling which settings are right for a given rig....

So...either put the CD in your microwave...or try messing aroumd with all the settings...game and DX...till u get the best u can.....though i'd go for the first choice...

GOOD LUCK !!!!!!
July 16, 2002 5:35:17 AM

I'm FU**ED. I dont have GTA3 but i got "Neverwinter nights" and it's buggy as hell. every day i download some new patches for it and it still has problems and i mean big problems that f*** your a**.publishers should test thier games before releasing them.

and about gamespot:i have the same problem with Neverwinter nights.they said it's score is something like 9.2 and now i've got this. i'll play Warcraft3 for some months and then will look for the latest patches of this cursed game.
July 16, 2002 11:44:08 AM

Same problem, mate.

This is my spec:

Asus A7V333 with Raid
XP 1900+
512MB PC2100
4 x 40GB HD in Raid 0
Gainward Ti4200
XP Professional

I was pretty dam disappointed when I saw blue roads and buildings appearing out of thin air when you parked beside them.

Maybe instead of everyone complaining about this can we all put our heads together and play around with our various setting to see what we can do to actually resolve this issue.

If I have any joy with this I'll post my findings - good luck everyone.

Rock And Roll Ain't Noise Pollution - irritated wives are!
July 19, 2002 2:20:29 AM

jesus christ, oymd. you bitch more than my wife. have you even tried adjusting the video options at all? i had problems at first but i changed the game res to match my desktop res (1024x768) and it ran fine after that.
July 19, 2002 7:19:16 AM

oymd is obviously well and truely pissed off with this game. Maybe his post was a bit on the heavy side but he does have a point.

Why should we have to reduce the settings on our machines to play games that should after all be enhanced by playing them on powerful PCs.

Juicebykurt - sorry to hear your wife bitches a lot ;-)

Rock And Roll Ain't Noise Pollution - irritated wives are!
July 19, 2002 4:36:40 PM

Roger that!!!!!
July 23, 2002 12:24:43 AM

thats just ignorant. almost every new game that comes out is going to require newer technology to run at its full potential. you are not going to to be able to crank the settings up on a gf2 or even a gf3 so get over it already. thats how it is in pc gaming so if you dont like it buy a ps2 and stop whining already. if you dont know enough about pcs to adjust game settings to the level of technology that you have then you have nothing to complain about.

[edit: just wanted to claify that im not talking about the blue roads, etc. im directly referring to the "this game sux because i cant run it on max settings" complaints...]

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by juicebykurt on 07/22/02 08:30 PM.</EM></FONT></P>
July 23, 2002 11:07:37 PM

interesting...I have it for ps2, got it from a friend just to see, and i downloaded it on kazaa, my machine is

* AMD Athlon XP-2200+ 1.8 GHZ Quantispeed processor
*gigabyte 7VRX VIA KT333 MB 4x APG w/ USB 2.0
* 1024 MB PC333 PC2700 DDR Memory
* Western Digital 120 gig harddrive
* Nvidia Geforce 4 TI4400 128MB DDR With TV OUT and DVI ( MSI)
* Creative Labs Sound Blaster Live 5.1

the game burns on this, and i run windows xp pro. it looks better here then on the ps2, i think. just cuz you have problems with the game, i dont think you should hate rock star, they make good games, or so i think. i think...i think..did anyone know i could do that? :)  i should use the word think less
July 24, 2002 12:22:01 AM

It's worth noting that the enhanced graphics come at a price. We tested the game on the "recommended" system--a 700Mhz CPU with 128MB of RAM and a 32MB graphics card--and were required to turn every detail to its lowest setting to make the game playable. And even then, it stuttered enough that the PS2 version seemed like the better alternative. It's hard to imagine that Grand Theft Auto III would run at all on the so-called minimum specs. Fortunately, when we tested the game on a higher-end system, with a newer graphics card and a faster processor, we experienced significantly better results.

It plays good w my Gf4 4400 at 1600x1200x16x 2x, but I don't think it would do much better then this. I don't know what kind of card they used, but it does seem to comfirm what you say.

Hey Baby, want to play with my computer?
July 24, 2002 1:57:01 AM

ye i agree, the game's engine suck ass totally, there better be a patch in the future that fixes the lag issue.
July 24, 2002 2:06:05 AM

Not sure how good this one is. The v1.1 patch fixes a couple of issues in the game and enables the user to play audio files directly from the hard drive to improve performance. Saved games are carried over with no problems.

Hey Baby, want to play with my computer?
July 24, 2002 7:43:27 AM

it does increase the game's performance a bit. but the game still runs choppy at times,, especailly @ the 3rd cty
July 25, 2002 4:10:51 AM

If I install the patch will it screw up my No CD fix? I need something to speed up the game! I’m about half way through the 3rd city and it’s just to choppy and annoying. The music is already on my harddrive and I have it turned off anywise so I don't think the patch would help much. What they need is a patch with a new 3d engine!

Thx & Cya

BTY, the no CD patch is at gamecopyworld.com

July 25, 2002 2:04:46 PM

Just a bitch session here. You really think that "THE MAN" really cares if that out of 3 million copies only a handful of ppl are expericing some issues (probally caused by the user as well).

GTA 3 runs fine on mine system as well.

AXP 1900
Asus A7A266 Mobo
512 MB DDR RAM
3 different Video cards
-Voodoo 5
-Geforce 2 MX 400
-TNT 2 (A little choppy in some areas)
(All these cards were used cause of issue in game where I couldnt see text or radar, but it wasnt game issue, was an issue with XP and .DLL file.)

:smile: <font color=red>Two wrongs don't make a right, but three lefts do! :wink: <font color=black> Think outside the box!
July 26, 2002 4:49:45 AM

That's not true at all. I have a Quadro DCC (GF3 but ogl optimized basically) and I crank settings to max (even use 4xAA and Quincux, and 4x 9-tap), and I'm pulling definetly over even 60 fps it's so smooth. Um, what r these hacked gta3 drivers someone mentioned?
Specs:
1.2Ghz T-Bird
AD11
512DDr
WinXP Pro
Quadro DCC
SB! Live Platinum 5.1
13 speakers (5 subs, 8 tweeters mwahahaha)

My frog asked me for a straw...dunno what happened his ass all over the place :eek:  <P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by flamethrower205 on 07/26/02 00:51 AM.</EM></FONT></P>
July 26, 2002 5:00:45 AM

Oh, I think I may have found a soltion to yer problems. See I dled FRAPS, and held steady 30FPS, then took off frame limiter, and got at minimum 60, and even in the hundreds. Game runs just fine (as in everything moves at the same speed.....unlike gta1 where frame limiter was necessary).

My frog asked me for a straw...dunno what happened his ass all over the place :eek: 
July 26, 2002 4:36:33 PM

I think I will give that a try... currently got fairly good f-rates with 1.2G Tbird & a Kyro2 64mb with 4-5 on the distance draw scale
(all I ahve to do is remember to add more Mp3s to the folder... it keeps playing 2-3 out of 8 of my current tracks over & over again... annoying after a while)

There are no stupid questions... just lots of inquisitive idiots...
July 26, 2002 5:18:05 PM

BTW, reason it's so CPU intensive is look at the physics. The newspapers on the ground will float in an according direction when u ride over them, and if u stop, etc. It caclculates extra skidding for rain, etc, that takes a lot of CPU power to do in real time.

My frog asked me for a straw...dunno what happened his ass all over the place :eek: 
July 26, 2002 7:04:23 PM

Yeah, it probably will. But then again you are violating the EULA so you can't complain eh? New ones are always released to fix that problem though, just go get another one.

Quote:

If I install the patch will it screw up my No CD fix? I need something to speed up the game! ...

July 28, 2002 6:03:30 AM

hey.... what no cd fix are you using? mine keeps saying "incorrect file size" after i hit the apply patch button.

....the birds seemed to be calling him, thought caw....
July 30, 2002 3:10:30 AM

I’m not sure :( 

I looked in my temp directory and I got 2 GTA3 NO CD patches (one by duck and another one called nocdsetup.exe 1,457KB) I think the second one is the one that worked.

I know a few people have been having problems so this is what I can remember and possible problems.

I heard there is a patch for GTA3 from rockstar and I installed the noCD patch before it came out, I also have not patched the game since for fear of messing it up.

I copied the audio form the CD manually to the audio file, Then I seem to remember replacing the old GTA3.exe with the new.

I don’t know if any of this will help but it did take me a few tries before I got it to work.

Good luck

July 31, 2002 3:39:27 AM

i just make isos of my games and then play them off my hdd with d-tools.
August 1, 2002 12:42:39 AM

I have the game and it works great! I've got a 1700+ AMD & GF3 TI200 (Look at my bio for more specs).

I don't know what's wrong with all yours, but I did install the hacked nvidia drivers before playing.

-"LD provides the USB disk makes you portable your data everywhere as easy as possible"
!