Sign in with
Your question

Athlon MP ThRaSHINg Intel's Xeon 2.4 NOW LIVE!!

Last response: in CPUs
June 26, 2002 5:16:06 PM

AMD MP vs Intel Xeon in live online chess match: (AMD is Winning So far!!!)
http://www.heise.de/ct/schachduell/
Basically shows Intel is retarded and inferior and their processor cannot do math. BTW, the Xeon is having a 1.6Ghz clock advantage and they still suck!
June 26, 2002 5:20:06 PM

we have enough trolls as it is.

how do you shoot the devil in the back? what happens if you miss? -verbal
June 26, 2002 7:05:19 PM

They've been trading matches, and trolling doesn't exactly show your intelligence.

<font color=blue>Hi mom!</font color=blue>
June 26, 2002 10:04:18 PM

It's 9-7-5 now, second time AMD's pulled ahead by two. I recommend dual athlon 2000+s now for anybody who uses whatever program they are using...

It's actualy interesting to watch chess matches, but that's just me.

MStakem
June 26, 2002 10:31:41 PM

Heh, I doubt there's a huge number of people that use that program. There was some discussion over at HardOCP's forums about getting that set up so people could have matches over the net and see who's computer is faster. It looked like too much effort to get the software going, but their forums are down right now, so I'm not sure what the end result is.

<font color=blue>Hi mom!</font color=blue>
June 26, 2002 11:39:39 PM

Hello, AMDMeltdowns parallel.

I sold my sig for $50.
June 27, 2002 3:05:47 AM

Why are you advertising this on <b>several</b> different posts? You really are a bigger troll then Meltdown.

------------------------------------------------
Montecito & Chivano; Intel's Big Guns.
June 27, 2002 5:24:29 AM

Not to feed the troll.

But the amd system is whooping much ass, I am watching now and it looks like the amd is still up 2 games, earlier it was up 4, and I have yet to check back at a point where intel was on top.

Begun, this chess war has.

:wink: The Cash Left In My Pocket,The BEST Benchmark :wink:
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
June 27, 2002 7:18:43 AM

this test is a non-sense if the same chess program is involving for both processors.

<i>if you know you don't know, the way could be more easy ...</i>
June 27, 2002 9:14:09 AM

Quote:
this test is a non-sense if the same chess program is involving for both processors.

They are using 2 different chess apps, and are reversing which processor uses which each game to remove app superiority from the equasion.

Anonymous
a b à CPUs
June 27, 2002 12:11:16 PM

so i can considere it is a symetric test by a processing point of view.
the remaining difference is the cpu power.

but in fact not exactly. the white owner has always the advantage in chess.
this involves a cyclic & eternal shifting between both processors.

where is the purpose of this experience? is there a added value face of a good cpu benchmark apart waiting for several days before knowing the result?

i am wondering... just curious.

note: i didn't understand one word in deutch. not very helpful here.

June 27, 2002 12:24:11 PM

Quote:
so i can considere it is a symetric test by a processing point of view.
the remaining difference is the cpu power.

Yes, they set it up so the only factor is cpu power, every possible variable has been flip flopped 50% so any errors would cancel eachother out.

Quote:

While white has a good advantage, a good black player has more of an advantage, kind of like fencing where one duelist makes an attack, the defender can counter it, or can strike at a now exposed vital error.

All in all black and white tend to ballance out, but for this test, amd and intel are black and white equally, so no inherant benifits are given to either cpu.

This is actually one of the purest duels of cpus I have ever witnessed, it is amazing when you think about it.

Anonymous
a b à CPUs
June 27, 2002 12:30:40 PM

Quote:
In reply to:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
While white has a good advantage, a good black player has more of an advantage, kind of like fencing where one duelist makes an attack, the defender can counter it, or can strike at a now exposed vital error.

a human can make an error. but it is yet the case with a computer & a program such more if it is a vital error?

June 27, 2002 12:43:44 PM

Quote:
a human can make an error. but it is yet the case with a computer & a program such more if it is a vital error?

If neither cpu made a mistake all of the games would wind up in a draw.

Watching the games is interesting, I am a good chess player, and the games beginings are always beautiful, both sides try moves and the other side always counters, which is how it would be in real life with 2 excellent players.

After a while of equal trades(notice how the games almost always finish the begining with both players losing near euql amounts of manpower(usually within a pawn of eachother))

What really sucks is the end game, both computers do the exact proper move which usually leads to a draw, its really long and boring.

June 27, 2002 1:02:43 PM

wtf!
Put up an Intel against a Vic-20 and it probably wont matter, except it takes a little longer.

<font color=red>Japanese Telecom</font color=red>
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
June 27, 2002 3:21:07 PM

Yeah. thx. period.

<pre>i know since now who you are. 1 never 2</pre><p><i>if you know you don't know, the way could be more easy ...</i>
June 27, 2002 3:21:26 PM

Note to THG members.

This is the stupidest thing I have ever seen you people defend. Good god what a understimulated life you must lead.
*spud shakes his head*

-Jeremy

<font color=blue>Just some advice from your friendly neighborhood blue man </font color=blue> :smile:
June 27, 2002 5:43:58 PM

Quote:
wtf!
Put up an Intel against a Vic-20 and it probably wont matter, except it takes a little longer.

How come deep blue lost versus the grand master but won when it got faster, a cpus speed is VERY important(especially branchprediction) to chess.

SPud, this is a very viable benchmark, some people are trolling it but I myself think its very interesting.

June 27, 2002 6:11:29 PM

WOW!! Go take a look. The Intel system is actually winning for once!!4 won 2 lost and 4 ties.

:smile: Falling down stairs saves time :smile:
June 27, 2002 6:39:41 PM

now they are even, yesh, the AMD system yesterday lost once oso but in the end it beat intel.
Not at 2.39PM EST they are tiesd 4-4
June 27, 2002 7:33:24 PM

They just started a new round, watch, when it ends amd will be up 2-4, all of the last rounds finished this way.

Very interesting test.

June 27, 2002 7:36:21 PM

Since you say clock speed helps in chess, then what is making the Athlon win?
ALU, branch prediction, less misses?

--
:smile: Intel and AMD sitting under a tree, P-R-O-C-E-S-S-I-N-G! :smile:
June 27, 2002 7:49:46 PM

Sorry, meant performance not clockspeed.

The major factor is branchprediction though.

June 27, 2002 11:29:33 PM

it looks like they are changing something. I haven't ever seen more ties than wins before.

MStakem
June 28, 2002 3:13:34 PM

Quote:
Since you say clock speed helps in chess, then what is making the Athlon win?
ALU, branch prediction, less misses?

I doubt CPU speed has much to do with it. Traditional chess-playing isn't a real-time process.

Whether a chess engine runs on an Intel or AMD CPU, it's likely to get the same results; it may simply take longer to get those results on one CPU. CPU speed would affect the game's outcome if you were playing "speed chess" (i.e. there's a time limit on moves), but it doesn't look like these systems are doing that...

What might affect the outcome is how far ahead a chess engine (or human being) can see. A computer-driven chess engine will typically construct a tree of possible outcomes, starting with its next move and going to the end of the game or to some tree-depth limit (the depth limit being how many moves ahead the chess engine should/could check). The more future possibilities the chess engine tries to check, the more effectively it can plan. Checking more future possibilities also takes more time and (more importantly) more memory.

A chess engine may stop checking future possibilities at an artificial limit (in which case, as long as there's at least a certain amount of memory+swap, the outcome will always be the same), or it may stop when the system runs out of memory (in which case, the system with more memory+swap space has a greater chance of winning). You might be surprised at how fast this sort of planning can suck your system memory dry.

Beyond that, the only thing I can think of that would affect the outcome is a random number generator (RNG) or good pseudo-RNG. When a chess engine has to choose between several moves it has weighted as equally favorable, it will probably turn to its RNG to make a decision. I believe fairly recent Intel chipsets embed a hardware pseudo-RNG (for various reasons, it's near impossible to get a true RNG in a computer). The chess engine might not even know if it's hitting Intel's hardware pseudo-RNG, especially if it's just going through the operating system's RNG interface.

FWIW, people interested in this sort of thing might want to check out an open-source chess engine called Crafty. You can get the source code at ftp://ftp.cis.uab.edu/pub/hyatt/ (damn HTTP-only URL's :mad:  ).

<i>I can love my fellow man...but I'm damned if I'll love yours.</i><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by kelledin on 06/28/02 10:18 AM.</EM></FONT></P>
June 28, 2002 4:49:34 PM

Quote:
AMD MP vs Intel Xeon in live online chess match: (AMD is Winning So far!!!)
http://www.heise.de/ct/schachduell/
Basically shows Intel is retarded and inferior and their processor cannot do math. BTW, the Xeon is having a 1.6Ghz clock advantage and they still suck!

that's funny, because AMD just got whopped by a score of 27 to 19, Intel is ahead by 2 rounds.

LOL! given the performance trend of the AMD I say AMD is the retarded/inferior one here.

"<b>AMD/VIA!</b>...you are <i>still</i> the weakest link, good bye!"
!