Sign in with
Your question

About dropping Duron "Appalossa"

Last response: in CPUs
June 26, 2002 9:31:17 PM

Is AMD's decision wise of dropping Duron "Appalossa" from their roadmap? Will Athlon T-bred be as successful as Duron at value pc segment?

Your opinion please.
June 26, 2002 11:00:47 PM

Yes.

Mark-

<font color=blue>When all else fails, throw your computer out the window!!!</font color=blue>
June 27, 2002 12:07:47 AM

The dropping of the duron is due to the fact the athlon is replacing it, I believe it will be as sucessful, Cheaper and better than the celeron.
Related resources
June 27, 2002 12:53:14 AM

you have to also look into the logistics.

why have two different die shapes & designs?
costs alot less to do the intel thing with 1 die, then disable some cache and/or reduce the FSB.

<font color=green>Proud member of THG's</font color=green> <font color=blue>Den Of Thieves</font color=blue> :lol: 
June 27, 2002 3:06:05 PM

very true, but I see it as if the die has 512kb cache on it anyway is it not a waste of money to go and disable half of it? Surely if you can afford to waste money like that and still sell them cheaply then you should be selling the full spec ones just as cheap.

As for the FSB that is a valid point. Find the chips that run poorly at the higher speeds and limit their speed so they run slowly but stabily. Good idea.....
June 27, 2002 3:47:55 PM

Athlon used for value market to compete with the P4, celeron and the PIII.
The hammer is used to compete whatever Intel has under the hood after the P4.
This is what I learned in the AMD tech Tour.
June 27, 2002 3:54:50 PM

Well, I don't think the P4 Celly is good enough when compared to T-bred. So yes, it's a wise decision. Also, it's better to focus on 2 processors (Hammer and T-Bred/Barton) than 3, even Duron has everything in common with T-bred.

Just another point: Duron can't compete with P4 Celly, especially in the future. And T-Bred can win by large.

DIY: read, buy, test, learn, reward yourself!
June 27, 2002 4:10:20 PM

Quote:
Well, I don't think the P4 Celly is good enough when compared to T-bred.

Not necessarily. Think about it. By the time t-bred becomes value procs, it'll be the end of this year and the celerons will start to be made on the .13u process and 256KB of L2 cache, therefore making the physical specs the same as a t-bred, although it won't be as fast colck for clock. But the .13um process has shown great abilities. Especially with onyl 256KB of L2 cache, it should be able to clock in excess of 3GHz pretty soon. A T-bred at PR of 2400-2600 will have a tough time competing against something like this. Also the celerons can now use every chipset the P4 uses which means RDRAM/DDR RAM/SDRAM. It also offers good upgrading options to P4s. The T-bred won't be able to upgrade except to Barton, which won't become value till Hammer comes on line for a while.

:smile: Falling down stairs saves time :smile:
June 28, 2002 12:13:21 AM

i really dont think the duron is doing too badly
they are producing 1.3's that run at 1.5v!!!
but in an economic sense its better to switch to the athlon core design... especially with hammer approaching. running 3 different core produciton lines is NOT a good idea.

<font color=green>Proud member of THG's</font color=green> <font color=blue>Den Of Thieves</font color=blue> :lol: 
June 28, 2002 2:13:28 AM

Especially in ONE FAB! Man that would heat things up....

--
:smile: Intel and AMD sitting under a tree, P-R-O-C-E-S-S-I-N-G! :smile:
!