Widnows ME memory problems

marshahu

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2003
I have 768MB of RAM but whilst Windows Me doesnt mind having 768MB SDRAM it causes problmes elsewhere.

If I run a MS DOS aplication it says there is not enough memory when there is bags. I cant even run the setup program as it also throws up the same error message.

How can I get Windows ME to make full use of 768MB RAM without slowing down! Microsoft suggest to get Win ME to only read 512MB - that means I have 256Mb Sitting there doing nothing!!

I cant upgrade to XP Cos My old Scanner wont work and Agfa have stopped dealing wiv drivers. Unless ne one else can find XP Drivers for Snapscan 1212P with the button.

Please stop my memory problem. Oh and I hear Longhorn is comming out soon. Please can Toms Hardwrae guide doa review on that and judge whether its worth going for that instead of XP.

khha4113

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
If I run a MS DOS aplication it says there is not enough memory when there is bags. I cant even run the setup program as it also throws up the same error message.
That's the limitation of WinME (or 98) in Memory management. There is a fix at <b><A HREF="http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;253912" target="_new"><font color=red>Microsoft</A></b></font color=red>.
I cant upgrade to XP Cos My old Scanner wont work and Agfa have stopped dealing wiv drivers. Unless ne one else can find XP Drivers for Snapscan 1212P with the button.
You can still use Windows XP along with WinME as it's called dual-boot. It allows you to choose to boot which Windows version at Startup.

:smile: Good or Bad have no meaning at all, depends on what your point of view is.

DaveP

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2002
If I remember right, Longhorn is gonna be another year or two.
If your scanner is an older one, XP may have the drivers built in. I don't know this scanner your talking about.

:smile: Peace comes only after absolute victory :smile:

jlanka

Splendid
Mar 16, 2001
I ran into that same problem with that scanner. There is a solution. Check out <A HREF="http://au.geocities.com/garyjcrawford/agfa1212p.htm" target="_new">this page</A> for more info

<i>It's always the one thing you never suspected.</i>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
But why would you NEED more than 512MB SDRAM? I'd knock it down to 512MB and put the other 256MB in another system. Heck, even with memory hog XP installed most people don't benefit from more than 512MB.

<font color=blue>Watts mean squat if you don't have quality!</font color=blue>

Saturn

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2001
Don't you need to reconfigure the Win9x/ME kernel in order to keep a system from slowing down after 256MB?

<font color=blue> Just because I'm absent-minded doesn't mean I </font color=blue>