Sign in with
Your question

Classic Computers!

Last response: in CPUs
June 28, 2002 4:23:18 PM

I'd like to hear about how some of you got into computers and what your old classic computers were?

I'm talking about the first IBM/Clone PC that you used. Or perhaps your first overclocked system. Something you were proud that you owned.

I remember the first gaming PC my father brought home in '90. It was a 386 33, with a 387 math Coprocessor, 8 MB of ram, and a 360 MB HD. It had a 1 MB Trident card, Roland LAPC-1, and Soundblaster Pro in it. It was almost 2 years before specs similar to this hit the general public en mass, and with an extra 4MB, upgrade to a 486 33DX, and a 420MB HD added later, the computer lasted over 5 years. The Roland card still works and is in one of my dad's older systems.

My first personal computer was a Gateway 2000 I bought when I went to college in '95-'96. Was a P5 120, 32MB Ram, 1.6GB HD, 2MB STB Trio 64, and I added a Soundblaster AWE 32 to it myself. I later overclocked the system to run at 133, which gave me a complete 10% performance increase on every benchmark I could run (Even HD access). This system was able to outperform old P5 systems with CPUs of up to 200 MHZ. This was back when Gateway built some of the fastest PCs on the market.

Come on and reminisce with me about your old systems, and what made them so cool to you.

English is phun.

More about : classic computers

June 28, 2002 4:42:03 PM

First PC I used was the original IBM PC. That was back sometime in '84. I was barely starting school at the time but was already keying in programs in BASIC from ye olde Compute!Gazette mag (anyone remeber those? :wink: )

First PC I built wasn't mine, it was my dad's. It was an AMD 5x86-133 (souped up 486). The CPU and mobo still runs in my firewall/router box. Gets some pretty nice uptimes too.

First comp I built for myself was a PII-300, back when PII-300's were top of the heap. The processor is now in my mother's home system; the original 440LX mobo died, but the proc is now on a 440BX mobo.

<i>I can love my fellow man...but I'm damned if I'll love yours.</i>
June 28, 2002 5:12:55 PM

The first PC I played with was my dad's IBM PC. Don't remember how long that was but it was an XT with an Intel 8086 4mhz processor with a 20mb hard drive. I love playing those old games that came on the 5.25" floppy disk. The first virus I ever got was the Stone virus.

My dad later on bought a 386DX 33mhz with an 80mb drive which we upgraded it to a 486DX2 66mhz. Later on we added the Soundblaster package with 2x cd-rom and SB16. I remember install Win95 on the 486 and got a blue screen, so I asked one of my friends what he thinks the problom is. He said he had no problem installing it on his Amd 486DX 40mhz machine and that my problem must be my Intel processor.

Right now I'm still using tha P5 133mhz multiplier lock PC while my dad uses his P3 450mhz. I also built my younger brothers XP 1600+. I haven't had the chance to build a machine for myself yet. :smile:

Quote:
<i>kelledin said:</i>
First PC I used was the original IBM PC. That was back sometime in '84. I was barely starting school at the time but was already keying in programs in BASIC from ye olde Compute!Gazette mag (anyone remeber those? )

Hehe, yah I remember those, but I started keying in programs for the Apple II before Basic. :smile:

:eek:  :frown: :mad:  :eek:  :redface: :cool: :lol:  :tongue: :wink: - What do you want to feel today? :) 
Related resources
June 28, 2002 5:19:48 PM

Quote:
I started keying in programs for the Apple II before Basic.

Heheh the IIe's rocked. The Bard's Tale series games kicked ass! :cool:

<i>I can love my fellow man...but I'm damned if I'll love yours.</i>
June 28, 2002 6:42:29 PM

my first computer was a 40 mhz 386, 2 megs of ram and a 60 meg hard drive. i would play wolfenstein all day long on that thing. didnt have a sound card, and only a 5 1/4 floppy. later i bought my uncles old sound card. soon after i bought a 3 1/2 floppy, it was about 40 bucks. later i upgraded to 4 megs of ram and got a 320 meg hard drive. i cant remember the exact chain of events but i upgraded my hard drive again to a 1.2 gig, upgraded to an amd 100 mhz dx4 with 16 megs of ram, maybe 32. i think i upgraded my hard drive again to an 8.4 gig quantum fireball. later i upgraded to a p 233, that was just when the p2s came out. through all this i had my trusty trident video card. some time after that i upgraded to a voodoo banshee. later i upgraded to an athlon 800 and a geforce. and today i have an xp 1700 with the same geforce.

how do you shoot the devil in the back? what happens if you miss? -verbal
June 28, 2002 7:04:39 PM

Gosh. The olden days. My very first PC (which I still have in storage somewhere, though the floppy drive is dead) was a Commodore 64. It had the tape drive and all. :)  I got it when I was just seven years old. Gee, I remember spending hours and hours playing Pool of Radiance and Bard's Tale on that thing. And who didn't learn BASIC when the entire OS <i>was</i> BASIC.

Then, one fateful day in my late teens my mom recieved an old Tandy with an 088 processor and no hard drive. (MS DOS 2.11 was chipped into the mobo... with no format command I might add.) That was fun. It had a whole 640KB. (And that was after an upgrade.)

Finally, when I was 19 and kicking back in a military dorm I saved up two grand and built myself a P-133 with an ISA AWE32 sound card and a Diamond Stealth PCI video card and all. It sounds crazy, but it really kicked butt. I even eventually upgraded to 128MB of EDO RAM. I used that system for everything. It was even my answering machine. Heh heh. And hell, in Quake 1 if I set up the command prompt to force it to use 64MB of RAM (I think it defaulted to 8MB) I could actually get a better resolution and frame rate than friends with P200 MMXs. (Of course, I never told <i>them</i> about the memory trick. Heh heh.)

Too bad the thing eventually just started breaking down left, right, and center. It finally got to the point where trying to get replacement parts for the P-133 just wasn't worth the effort, or price.

So that was when I picked up a bargain-basement Celeron 500 system. Eventually I performed various upgrades on it, such as upgrading the RAM to 256MB, and taking the Savage4 PCI card, 8GB hard drive, and 2x CD burner out of the dead P-133 and shoving them into the Celeron. (The onboard 'AGP' video on the Celeron really sucked and the mobo had no actual AGP slot.)

That necesitated a better air flow in the case, which required drilling a few holes to actually support a fan in the front. And the fan plus all of that required changing the power supply. So as you could imagine, by now I know that Celeron inside and out. I could probably replace the hard drive blindfolded.

The Celeron was only meant to be a hold-over until I could save up two grand for a new system. Now though, between car, house, and wife, the computer fund is lucky to be at a hundred bucks these days. So I've been stuck on the Celeron for a couple of years now.

But anywho, those are the memorable PCs in my life. I've had others too, but none so oft used.

Tech support said take a screen shot.
Putting it down with my .22 was the humane thing to do.
June 28, 2002 7:18:28 PM

I had an old C64. Actualy, we went through 2 C64s and a C128, an Amiga 500 /w an extra 512K of ram (That was a cool PC for the time, with better sound than most comps till the past 2-3 years).

C64s were a blast.

English is phun.
June 28, 2002 7:25:15 PM

Quote:
The first virus I ever got was the Stone virus.

Hehe, that's a cute addition.

I've never gotten a virus on any of my systems to date. I've seen others get some fun ones though.

My father's work place caught the Yankee Doodle Virus, which played Yankee Doodle on the PC speeker at 2:20 PM. Was quite interesting.

English is phun.
June 28, 2002 7:33:37 PM

My first pc was a 486 66.

I remember complaining It wouldnt run the nes emulators which I had found out about, and I tried to install different videocard drivers to support svga(on a non svga card) lol.

Ahh the old days.

:wink: The Cash Left In My Pocket,The BEST Benchmark :wink:
June 28, 2002 7:34:21 PM

UNless you count my trs-80 I had when I was like 5, I coded basic text choose your on adventures on that thing at 5.

:wink: The Cash Left In My Pocket,The BEST Benchmark :wink:
June 28, 2002 7:52:05 PM

Quote:
UNless you count my trs-80 I had when I was like 5, I coded basic text choose your on adventures on that thing at 5.

I remember writing those. I had one hell of a cool one at one point that involved a drunken party gone wrong. Heh heh. Of course, at the age of eight I didn't know nearly enough about drunken parties to make it realistic to adult standards... But hey, it was fun.

What was really cool though were the software programs to help you build your own text adventure games, and later crappy RPGs. Those were great. Adventure Construction Set was my personal favorite.

Hey, does anyone remember the original Zork?

Tech support said take a screen shot.
Putting it down with my .22 was the humane thing to do.
June 28, 2002 8:13:38 PM

The first PC I used (if you can call typing a few notes using it) wasn't a clone. It was a genuine IBM PC, before the XT. It was my friend's PC for which he paid $5000 USD which included 3 years of Sears Business Store financing.

I laughed because after shelling out that kind of money he couldn't afford the $384 floppy drive. (Actually the floppy drive was delayed by about a month). For a while the only storage he had was a Radio Shack audio cassette via a built-in port on the computer. This was circa 1982-1983. (Can you imagine $5000 in 1982?)

As for how I got into computers, I think a high school math teacher introduced me to programming in the 10th grade, 1975. I stuck with it through my stint at college but no longer being a hobby I stopped enjoying programming. Last time I programmed seriously was in 1985. I've been thinking about getting back into it but for fun again.

My first PC clone that I owned was a 12 mhz 286 Zeos brand which I bought in 1987 for $2700. (I couldn't afford the 386 model). It was my first overclocked processor as well. To my surprise when I replaced the motherboard (with a 386 model) the processor was only a 10 mhz certified AMD 80286. I paid for a 12 mhz processor but it was overclocked without me knowing it. Nothing I could do. The company was out of business by the time I discovered the deception/mistake.

I still use that AT case which houses a K6-2 system and I still use AMD processors. That case has seen two 386 mobos, three 486 mobos, and three socket 7 mobos. The original power supply still works but was inadeqate for the overclocked K6-2 and a Geforce256 (what a power pig).

<b>I have so many cookies I now have a FAT problem!</b>
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
June 28, 2002 8:17:41 PM

Zx81 without hard disk but with 2k ram (iirc) - french computer.
construct in 1981, successor of the Zx80.

then the 8086 (created by Intel in 1978) 4Mhz (iirc)
170MB hard disk - RLL/MFM disk interface
-* in that time i had an enormous hard disk - its capacity (170MB) as its weight (3 kg) & its size (2 slots 5"1/4) as well *- haha
1MB RAM (iirc)
12" monitor - 256 grey nuances

486 dx2-66 - 8MB RAM

cyrix 166+ - 16MB RAM

k6 233 - 32MB RAM - MSI mb

k6/2 300 - 64MB PC100 SDRAM - AOpen mb

k7 TB 1.333 FSB266 - 512MB PC133 SDRAM - Asus a7v133 raid mb

What is an Intel cpu exactly? haha.

<i>if you know you don't know, the way could be more easy ...</i>
June 29, 2002 3:02:04 AM

Ahh yes, well I never was a computer user until 1995, when my dad paid a big 2000$ US for this:
486 (possibly DX2)66MHZ, I enjoyed pressing Turbo button endlessly!
No sound card, No CDROM, No speakers except PC, Win 3.1 but barely used, MS DOS with Norton Commander (anyone know this? It's almost an OS but with just Explorer-style, in DOS mode, it was nice though and easy to use), I have no idea on the video card, though it played any DOS game.
Games I used to enjoy:
-Supaplex (some red ball having to eat computer PCB and chips!)
-Prince of Persia, had discovered cheat, but it would make the time too advanced and not enough time to save from Jafar killing the princess.
-Carmen Sandiego, some might know her, it's a detective game, you search for her through the world.
-Jill of the Jungle, gotta love that!
-Doom I or Doom II, those were the best baby... damn PC speakers...
-Hugo's House of Horror, game where you also interact and input keyboard commands and hope the game accepts and does the action!

I forgot the others, but it was fun, though by 1999, I had the P2 system, which Intel's best CPU IMO. And by January 2002, my very first AMD system. I must admit I was fearful at first, but damn it I wanted to prove to my friends that Intel is not the only thing, and that AMD chips ARE safe to use. I love what I have, it is not running at blazing temps as trolls like to say.

--
:smile: Intel and AMD sitting under a tree, P-R-O-C-E-S-S-I-N-G! :smile:
June 29, 2002 5:30:38 AM

first system was a BBC micro model B+ 32k ram, 16k reserved for OS. up to 16 colour graphics and 4 channel sound... pretty advanced given its age.

first PC was a IBM XT PS2 with MCGA graphics and a 20Mb hard drive.

other computers ive had:
P1-166, 32mb ram, 4mb non-3d graphics, 2gig seagate
p2-300, 64mb ram, 4mb ati rage pro, 16.8gig IBM 16gp.
celleron 500, 128mb, 32mb tnt2, 16.8gig IBM 16gp
athlon 1200C @ 1400, 256mb, geforce2pro
now
XP1800+, 512mb DDR, 160Gb in 2 80gig drives.

and probably my best overclocking effort was my old diamond viper V770 graphics card.
a TNT2 non ultra card, with passive HS cooling only.
stock speeds were 125/150 core/ram... and i got it up to 157/205!!! HS was hot enuf to fry an egg on

<font color=green>Proud member of THG's</font color=green> <font color=blue>Den Of Thieves</font color=blue> :lol: 
June 29, 2002 6:00:11 AM

Played a C64 for about 8 (since i was 5) years until we moved house and parents ditched it. Even after we got a "real" pc I would still sit for hours playing Defender of the Crown and hundreds of other games. Am currently building up my collection of games for my C64 emulator.

We still have the origional monitor though which still gives far far better picture quality than any tv I have seen.

Also had the laptop version that parents got rid of at the same time. Dad got it from work when they were clearing out old junk. About the size of a medium size suit case built in screen and disk drive only one power cable and tv in! Disk drive wouldn't play all my games though :-(.

Could also use the joysticks on my friends sega. Best computer I ever had. Only thing it didn't do was check my spelling which I really need.
June 29, 2002 9:59:28 AM

Where to start....

1984 IBM XT....
1986 IBM PC JR. That's right boys, the original portable computer. god damn thing weighted at least 50 lbs.......

1992 486 dx30

These were all my dad's so call machines, but of course I took them over, rebuilt most of them and made them run faster.

my first machine, AMD 486 dx2/66, 8 megs of ram, no sound, 2 speed cd-rom. I built it for my senior project in highschool.
Upgraded to the K5 100 pr 133.......for...of all things Diablo. I wanted to be able to play better online.......:) 

But I made Diablo run on my old 486 with 96 megs of ram for awhile, and pretty smoothly too....

Next machine, K6 233.......256s megs of ram....412 meg hd *my original hd from the 486 system*

Next machine K6-2 350, 3 gig hd..........
Upgraded cpu to K6-2 450
Upgraded cpu to k6-2 550......good linux server still....

Then I put together tbird 800 with 256 megs of ram....and a duron 600/1000 with 256 megs.......

my newest machine will be 1900+ never really bought Intel, biggest reason.....never could afford it.....:) 

MeldarthX
June 29, 2002 3:31:00 PM

Well, when I was a kid, we started off with a Sinclair something ... it sucked, but it was a real computer. I wrote some BASIC stuff for it, but I'm not sure it ever ran a real program.

Then my dad got a Franklin Ace through his work, which was an Apple II+ clone. That was cool, but he never bought any games for it for me to play. It had monochrome amber monitor.

The first computer that was really mine was in college. It was a Macintosh 512K ... no hard drive, just a floppy drive. But it got me through college and I loved it. The floppy drive broke, though, so I couldn't use it anymore.

The only reason I got on the PC side of the house was because my dad started giving me his hand-me-downs. First a 286/12.5MHz with 2 MB of RAM. It was a bear to get anything to run on it. Then I got a 386 and a 486, but they were always outdated by the time I got them. The first one I bought was a Compaq Presario with a Pentium 166 MMX. It was dog slow because Compaq didn't put the L2 cache on the motherboard. I ended up hating that machine, but I managed to sell it to someone. After that was a Pentium II 300 on a SE440BX board ... I still have the board and cpu in a box in my closet.

Then I built my first system, an Athlon 600 with a KX133 chipset. It worked really well. After that I built an Athlon 1200C with an AMD761 chipset. Now I've got an Athlon XP 1900+ on a KT266A chipset.

<i>Money talks. Mine always likes to say "goodbye." :smile: </i>
June 30, 2002 1:35:09 AM

First computer I ever saw and touched was in 1947 at Bell Telephone Labs (Murray Hill, NJ) when I was 8 yrs old. This was an all relay computer (no tubes, no solid state devices). My older sister programmed this monster. It was a real computer i.e., it was programmable, had memory, and other features that define a cumputer. Constuction began before World War II, halted, and then finished after the war. If there had been no war, it might have been the world's first computer. During the war ENIAC (used tubes)was built with government financing and likely the worlds first computer. England and/or Germany may have had operating computers before the war.

If memory serves, Intel's processor evolution goes something like this:

4040-8080-8086/8-80286-80386-80486-80586(Pentium)

I've used or owned devices having every one of them if I'm correct that the Bomar Brain calculator used the 4040.

Regards
June 30, 2002 4:39:37 PM

Zorkers do it under the rug ;) 

English is phun.
June 30, 2002 4:49:27 PM

Classical Pentium486 on some no name motherboard...I think Shuttle of the past...
32Mb of Panasonic EDO ram
PCI Trident 1MB Video Card
ISA SB 16 Sound Card
ISA 56k (yeah right) modem
ISA 10/10 (not 10/100!) network card
some crappy 230watt PSU
basic microsoft button mouse
15 inch (wow!) monitor...I think it was Panasonic

I tried overclocking through jumpers and ended up killing the thing...*grins* oh well, it "encouraged" my parents to buy a brand new Pentium 150Mhz. Sweet!

"When there's a will, there's a way."
June 30, 2002 4:58:09 PM

Quote:
to buy a brand new Pentium 150Mhz.

I remember the Pentium 150 contreversy! The CPU was actualy slower than a Pentium 133 because of the 6 mhz FSB difference to the rest of the computer components.

That was why they stopped producing them and never made a Pentium 180.

English is phun.
June 30, 2002 7:16:01 PM

remember how easy it was to clock those things to 166? i dont think a single one wasnt able to do it.

how do you shoot the devil in the back? what happens if you miss? -verbal
June 30, 2002 7:27:57 PM

I am using pc for just above two years. I was extremely value conscious. I bought my first and only pc in February 2000. My first pc was packed with

AMD K6-2 450 MHz processor
Gigabyte GA-5AA motherboard
32 MB PC100 SDRAM
8MB SiS 6326 craphics card
13 GB Hard Disk
50x CD-ROM and floppy drive
Yamaha ISA-719 sound card

I have upgraded this machine time to time. I increased the ram to 224 MB and added Creative SB Live! Value sound card and a 56K internal modem for internet access. This system worked before the Gigabyte mobo blew in March 2002. Then I had to upgrade the processor and mobo because socket 7 mobos were out of market. Value of the components still played a major role in upgrading process. I upgraded to an

AMD Duron 1 GHz
MSI K7N 420 Pro ( nForce 420-D chipset)
128 MB PC2100 DDR RAM
40 GB Maxtor Diamond Max Plus D740X hard drive

My older component weren't able to run most 3D games. Now I use the integrated graphics of nForce and can play all 3D games.
July 1, 2002 2:01:54 AM

I still have it! I kept the thing after I bought an AMD K6-II which served me well for 3 years. Is it worth partially building around it to make a vintage Pentium1 system? Heck, I could even overclock it!

"When there's a will, there's a way."
July 1, 2002 2:54:22 AM

hmmm....my first PC....the Tandy 1000HX it had and impressive 256KB of memory and 2 3 1/2 Floppies....later a 5 1/4 floppy and an 85 Meg HD was added and the memory was upgraded to its max at 640kb..after the processor upgrade for the original 8088(not the 8086) it went from 4.77mhz to a whopping 8Mhz...
July 1, 2002 2:55:38 AM

"Zorkers do it under the rug ;) "

Just watch out for the grue......
July 1, 2002 3:07:03 AM

My first was a TI99-4A. My dad told us it was the future in personal computing. We had the memory extension for TI basic and the voice synthesizer and several games. That was the most I ever got excited for a computer.
July 1, 2002 8:15:55 AM

Yes, that was great. C64 was my first computer. I was really excited about that. Programming BASIC and typing code from the magazines, playing these and other programs. All in a horrible 9' black and white monitor. I remeber imagine the real colors. B&W always make these programs look better. I have seen some latter, and some colour combinations look quite disgusting.

Later I had a Commodore Amiga. A floppy disk was a major advance that time. Also had a 386DX2 66Mhz esentially for Wordperfect and similars, did not play to much. I prefer Amiga :-)

DIY: read, buy, test, learn, reward yourself!
July 1, 2002 2:06:51 PM

The first comp I've ever played on 1986 (I was 6 years old then) was an 286 with 4mb of mem and a 50mb harddisk.
Can't recall the names of thse games :( 

After 1 or 2 years my dad sold the computer.

It took several years before we bought an 486 dx4 100mhz with 16mb mem and a hd of 540mb (maybe it was in 1993, not sure though)
no soundcard :( , S3 virge screencard, 14" screen, cd-rom 8x
Afterwards we've bought 32megs of ram, total of 48MB.
In 1995, we bought a Pentium 166 with 64megs; 3GB hdd; Soundblaster AWE32 and W95.

From that year I've learned to tweak W95 and how to make the computer run faster. Afterwards, my dad bought an extra 6Gb hdd. The mobo had a limit of 10Gb.

In 1998 I went for the first time on the internet.

We still had the P166 in 1999, but then the mobe burned (really burned, smoke came out of the case!! :eek:  )

Since my dad didn't want to buy a new comp, I had to buy a second-hand/pre-owned mobo and cpu. It was a AMD K6II-450 with 64Mb sdram. WOW, look at that performance :lol:  !!.

So then I had a 450 with 2HDD (3Gb/6Gb), 64Mb ram, 16x cd-rom, 56K modem, 15" screen, HP laserjet 4, soundblaster AWE64. After a year I bought 2 voodoo2's (was brandnew back then) It was working smoooooooth!

Around august 2001 the 6Gb hdd had more than 50% bad sectors and the 64MB mem (1bar) died. So I bought a 80Gb HDD and 1bar of 256mb and 1bar of 128mb ram. total of 370 (onboard screen card took 8 megs.) Put WXP and w98 on, overclocked the cpu to 500mhz and let the show begin.

IT took only <font color=green> 30 SECONDS</font color=green> to boot W98!!!!!!
And <font color=green> 1 min </font color=green> for WXP. This is still my best computer ever. And Yes, He could handle the new games that game out that year.

Since October 2001 I was starting to buy pieces for my new "big" computer. In Feb 2002 my Athlon XP1800+, 80gb+40GbHDD, cdrom48x, dvd12x, cdrw 12/20/40, 512mb ddr2700, GF2 GTS, Audigy platinum, 19" sony trinitron screen,...

This was power! It's a huge step from a 450 with 2 voodoo2's to a 1800+ with GF2. Still, the 450 works now with 10GB and 8 scsi cd-roms, 1 scsi 5cd changer (intern) and 1scsi 6cd changer (extern) as cd-server, router and print-server.

For the futur, a nice hammer (maybe dual) :lol:  .

The fastest cpu of today will be slow on the same day next year. :mad: 
July 1, 2002 5:56:17 PM

I first got into computers at around the age of 7-10 in about 1990 at infants and promary school (to all US people here, in the UK we have a completely diferent school system to you). The oldest of these were BBC model Bs. There were also RM Numbus PC186, runnning on Intel 80186 processors with DOS (with a special menu system) and Windows 3.0. In those schools that I went to their still using these computers now!!!! There were also 386 SX PCs and when I was 11 in year 6, we got a brand new computer with a 486 CPU and multimedia (CD-ROM and soundcard) running on Windows 3.1, this was in 1994.

I got my first computer in 1992 and that was an Amiga 1200, with 2MB RAM and a 68EC020 @ 14.9Mhz. A couple of years later I got a 245MB, 2.5" IDE Connor Hard Disk for it and it worked perfectly for the rest of the time I had the machine. In Christmas 1996, with an expansion board, I upgraded the CPU to a 68030 @ 50MHz, 68887 FPU, and a 8MB SIMM, that meant my machine had 10MB RAM (2 Chip RAM and 8MB Fast RAM).

I got my first PC in Nov 1997:
AMD K6-166MHz MMX (I later ran it at 200MHz)
16MB RAM EDO (Later Upgraded to 80MB)
430VX Chipset
1.6GB Quantum Fireball ST Hard Disk
ATI 3D Charger 2MB Graphics Card
SB 16 Sound Card
Windows 95 OSR2

2 years later I rebuilt the machine:
AMD K6-2 400MHz (I later ran it at 500MHz)
64MB PC100 SDRAM (Later Upgraded to 192MB)
VIA MVP3/586B Chipset
8.4GB Quantum Fireball CL Hard Disk
ATI Rage Fury 16MB Graphics Card
This gfx card was c**p and unstable so changed to:
Matrox Millenium G400 Dual Head
SB Live Player 5.1
Windows 98 SE

Later, I have rebuilt my machine again:
AMD Athlon T-Bird 1.33GHz (May run it at 1.4, not sure)
256MB PC2100 DDR SDRAM (Later Upgraded to 512MB)
AMD 761 / VIA 686B Hybrid Chipset (Rock solid stable!!)
40GB IBM DeskStar 60GXP Hard Disk (no probs after almost a year)
Matrox Millenium G400 Dual Head
Windows 2000 Pro (Now Windows XP Pro)

I also have , during the years have built two more machines (a fourth on the way)
Duron 900MHz, 128MB RAM, that 8.4Gig HD
AMD 5x86-133, 16MB RAM
The new one:
AMD k6-166 / AMD K5 PR166

Steven Graham
July 2, 2002 3:49:20 AM

My first was an IBM PC that couldn't use any software at all besides saving files on disk. The only programs you could run were spreadsheet, word processing, and maybe some database program. Gosh I forget! Anyway it's in my attic now. I'm going to save it for the future when someone will look at it and say, "wow an antique.." It used an ISA video card (back when they called ISA "Industry standard architecture") and the 15" monitor that came with it had a strange connector that makes it incompatible with any of today's graphics cards. No real fond memories of it. My real memories were of my 486/66Mhz DX with a 211MB hard drive. This thing was the best. I played duke nukem the shareware sidescroller for hours.

This little cathode light of mine, I'm gonna let it shine!
July 2, 2002 8:28:36 AM

The reason the monitor has a strange connector is because it is a digital link to the ISA gfx card not analogue.
!