AMD should have upped the cache

Scout

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Wonder why AMD didn't up the T-bred L2 cache to 512k like Intel did with the Northwood? At .13 it uses less power, but being smaller it'll be just as hard to cool I think. With the 2.1 G/sec limitation of the FSB, seems like 512k would have given it a nice kick in the pants, just like the Northwood gets!

I guess the theory of reducing costs is a nice idea for AMD, but it sure seems to be a disappointment for any performance increase!

Scout
700 Mflops in SETI!

LED

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2002
256KBs of cache is fine. Current ram tech keeps the t-breds plate full. Reason the 512 helped the P4 is cause even PC800 couldnt keep the P4 fed in all apps. Maybe the P4 can max out at a quad 200mhz bus w/ RAM to go w/ it......I dont think that's being overly optimistic either, I think that might be dead on.....at least to 166 before they hang it up.

I sold my sig for $50.

Hoolio

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2002
According to asus probe my Athlon T-Bird can have upto 8Mb L2 Cache. Hmmmmmm I can just dream, you could load MS-Dos on to the cache fully and it would *hmmmmmm*.

Anyway yeah, technically 8Mb on the athlon T-Bird.

eden

Champion
To 'cool' it down, provide higher clock speeds to sell to the market. Also to release the bad kinks, and get the newer better Tbreds online, which will allow AMD to get a better look at 0.13m and master it.

--
:smile: Intel and AMD sitting under a tree, P-R-O-C-E-S-S-I-N-G! :smile:

zengeos

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2001
More than anything, I think TBred is a proof of concept (for .13 micron). It's a chip intended to help get AMD to .13 micron quickly and efficiently. Now that they are *there* they can work on a few key improvements to the core to further capitalize on the .13 shrink.

Mark-

<font color=blue>When all else fails, throw your computer out the window!!!</font color=blue>

Scout

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Doesn't sound like it runs much cooler and with the smaller die to transfer heat, I'll bet it'll be just as hard to cool. That was one thing about the Durons... they were smaller with smaller footprint on the heatsink to transfer heat, so they were tougher to cool.

There's been some interesting articles out on the upcoming AMD releases saying that they are going to be more aggressive with their "PR ratings". AMD had better deliver some significant performance on the next release... Intel is starting to leave them in the dust!

Scout
700 Mflops in SETI!

chuck232

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2002
I think that's what's in LGHPooBaa's thread. I dunno about just raising the PR. I mean it has to warrant it. I mentioned some stuff there. Hop to it now. Check it out and see what you think.

:smile: Falling down stairs saves time :smile:

Quetzacoatl

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2002
Don't forget though, with less cache and a lower FSB, the Duron runs at a lower voltage, and requires far less wattage than either the Thunderbird, Palamino, or in some cases, the Thoroughbred. Less wattage=less heat.

"When there's a will, there's a way."

Scout

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Right... I was talking about overclocking. Since the standard voltage on a Duron is so low, you can really push the chip with the montherboards going up to 1.85 volts core, and many boards in reality put more voltage than that to the CPU.

Scout
700 Mflops in SETI!