Using only 1 of 4 cores - Windows 7?

G

Hey I recently started to get this problem..

Noticed my game performance was bad then discovered in task manager and CPU-Z my computer is only using 1 of 4 cores for some odd reason..

Ive tried the standard BIOS reflash etc etc and messing around with the boot advanced settings in msconfig to no avail.

The system seems to pick and choose whenever it wants to use the four cores...

If if reboot there is a chance it will be all ok
But then next time I turn it on it will be back at only 1 core

Also While I was using the system once it Froze up made a bleep noise (from the speakers not mobo buzzer) then switched back to 4 cores from 1?

Seems like a software issue.. Maybe need a new win7 install?

Some system information:

Windows 7 32bit - all up to date
Phenom x4 940 (not overclocked or touched)
Asus Crosshair II - Latest non Beta BIOS

The mobo is abit dodgy - sometimes have to reset the CMOS as it doesn't want to boot (normally only if I turn it off from the power button) - Won't hold any OC settings if I wanted to OC it - Dodgy but not the issue I don't believe. Also my HD is like 5 years old and probaly dodgy - Might have slowly made the OS install less stable over time.

G

New discovery.

Managed to get 4 cores again with the following method

Reboot, Enter BIOS, exit BIOS

Computer reboots itself - then waits a couple of moments before posting (as normal with my dodgy PC)

While waiting for it to post it makes a wierd noise (like a high pitch squelch like it's priming itself lol)

post boots and bam 4 cores

I think it's a case of ensuring it hangs for the brief moment and making that wierd noise before posting

Just my dodgy mobo probaly...

Think I need to get a new BIOS chip. Have always had to go through different methods (clearing cmos) to get it to post... Just never had the problem with it denying 4 cores giving me only 1...

Worth paying £12 to get a new programmed BIOS chip for my £50 ebay crosshair II?

G

yup.