Want to overclock Duron

Spitfire_x86

Splendid
Jun 26, 2002
I have a Duron (Morgan Core) 1.0 ( 100 X 10 )GHz processor, MSI K7N420 Pro ( nForce 420-D) mobo, 1 X 128 MB Kingston PC2100 DDR RAM (CAS 2.5). I want to overclock it to 1.33 GHz ( 133 x 10 ). I use a ordinary air cooler for cpu that came from Cooler Master. I don't know the actual model numer, but it's listed in amd recommened coolers list for Duron. Do I need special cooler for this overclocking purpose or my current cooler will do?

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
The stock cooler may work. I would try it, keeping an eye on heat. If it exceeds 50C under partial load or 60C under full load, you have a heat problem.

<font color=blue>At least half of all problems are caused by an insufficient power supply!</font color=blue>

Cruiser

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2002
DOH, what do you really know about that??? Thinking about running a CPU for 10+ years, the extra FSB will kill it before the temp! If he wants to overclock, he shouldn´t be scared of 60C, if it's running stable, it's a good overclock, PERIOD!

Quetzacoatl

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2002
Not exactly, while it may not right away, you are affecting it's life and more likely, stability in the long run. I wouldn't be scared of 60C either, but I would't want to run at that temp. Stability doesn't usually come for a while with higher heat.

"When there's a will, there's a way."

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
60C is one of the "rule of thumb" temps. Yes, it will run at higher temps. But while some CPU's will run stable at 65C, others will loose stability at 56C. I've seen this first hand!

<font color=blue>At least half of all problems are caused by an insufficient power supply!</font color=blue>

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
The stock cooler may work. I would try it, keeping an eye on heat. If it exceeds 50C under partial load or 60C under full load, you have a heat problem.

If it locks up under full load he has a heat problem, if not he dosent, giving hard tempratures is a bad idea crash.

:wink: The Cash Left In My Pocket,The BEST Benchmark :wink:

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
Not exactly, while it may not right away, you are affecting it's life and more likely, stability in the long run. I wouldn't be scared of 60C either, but I would't want to run at that temp. Stability doesn't usually come for a while with higher heat.

The damge from high heat takes a long time to manifest itself, certainly longer than the average cpu lifespan(2-3 years) any temp which is stable is NOT capable of detectably lowering the cpus lifespan.

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
60C is one of the "rule of thumb" temps. Yes, it will run at higher temps. But while some CPU's will run stable at 65C, others will loose stability at 56C. I've seen this first hand!

Its time for a new rule of thumb, the new rule of thumb is.

If it is stable, no matter what temp its running at, its ok.

Cruiser

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2002
Please stop giving bad advice, based on your own "observations", giving hard temp. rules won't help the guy one bit. Matisaro is right, if it´s stable it works!

khha4113

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
If he wants to overclock, he shouldn´t be scared of 60C
He should because ~60C he'd have problems. I'd never let my CPUs temp go higher than 55C even when overclocking (most of them are mid-40).

:smile: Good or Bad have no meaning at all, depends on what your point of view is.

Cruiser

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2002
NO, he probably wouldn´t! It depends on the quality of the CPU, it won´t do anything wrong trying to overclock, even at 60C! Stop giving bad advice, based on your own personal feelings about how "you wouldn´t like to run a CPU at 60C". No one cares if you'd like it to run at 60 or not, it's about the facts, and it´ll not be damaged, just by running at 60C! If it will boot and work stable at 60C, he's fine and shouldn't have to worry about it!

khha4113

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
FYI, I have done a lot of overclocking (Athlons Thunderbird, Xp as well as Durons), and in my experience appx. 60C tends to give problems.

:smile: Good or Bad have no meaning at all, depends on what your point of view is.

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
FYI, I have done a lot of overclocking (Athlons Thunderbird, Xp as well as Durons), and in my experience appx. 60C tends to give problems.

Your experince is that 60c isnt stable, but given the cpu is stable, 60c in and of itself does not cause any problems.

The temprature a cpu runs at is not important given it is running stabilly.

For all intents and purposes 40C has exactly the same effect on your cpu as 60c IF the cpu is stable, and if the cpu is not stable THEN, AND ONLY THEN, do you have a heat issue to be concerned about.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I've heard that for every 10C hotter your CPU runs, you shorten the life by 1/2, but can't tell you that from experience. It may be something worth looking into.

khha4113

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Your experince is that 60c isnt stable, but given the cpu is stable, 60c in and of itself does not cause any problems.

The temprature a cpu runs at is not important given it is running stabilly.
You only assume if he can run it stable which he hasn't done so. Wouldn't it be better to reduce heat by using better HSF (especially when overclocking) than gamble to see if it's stable or not at that temp?

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
You only assume if he can run it stable which he hasn't done so.

No lockups/crashes=stable.

My discussion was towards crash's solid temprature figure, not towards the posters overclocking heatsink request, as you can see I am carrying on the temp issue in several threads atm.

Wouldn't it be better to reduce heat by using better HSF (especially when overclocking) than gamble to see if it's stable or not at that temp?

The only reason to buy a more expensive heatsink when overclocking is to overclock further, if the cpu is stable with a 20% overclock using the stock cooler@65C(HYPOTHETICAL AND KEY WORD STABLE) then switching to a 20-40 dollar copper cooler and staying at the same speed to run@45C has NO BENIFIT WHAT SO EVER.

If the 65C cpu is stable(and thats the key!!) then there is no reason 45C is better.

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
I've heard that for every 10C hotter your CPU runs, you shorten the life by 1/2, but can't tell you that from experience. It may be something worth looking into.

I can tell you that operating spec heat is not the cause of cpu death, electo migration is(and were talking 10 years plus here).

Running hot(65Cish) will lower your cpus life span because hotter traces electro migrate faster, BUT! We are talking shaving months off of a 10-20 year lifespan, so it is not, I repeat NOT a factor worthy of spending 30 bucks for a heatsink on.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
OK, well, it's really dependant on the quality of any particular CPU, there were several overclockers who said their systems ran great at a certain speed for a while, then they would only run at a slower speed later, probably heat damage IMO.

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
OK, well, it's really dependant on the quality of any particular CPU, there were several overclockers who said their systems ran great at a certain speed for a while, then they would only run at a slower speed later, probably heat damage IMO.

It isnt heat damage, the chips are made in furnaces(for certain steps) which go above 300-500C(or more), now the anecdotes you refer to could very well be electrical damage, most overclockers overvolt, and if the overvolting causes some gate damage topspeed can be lowered.

But heat alone? naaaah.

Cbcel

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2001
I have a Duron1.2 running standard with CopperHeatsink at 51C , when oc'd at 1.368 (first try)he ran stable at 58C!
Are these temps Ok? I fried my first Duron with standard Hs (certified at 1.4)!

DurDur

khha4113

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
IMO, it seems too high for copper HSF. Did you use artic silver or just thermal compound? I have Duron 1.2G too and it runs mostly at 40C (max load 47C) on Asus A7N266-VM mobo with Thermaltake Volcano III (cheap, alluminium base and quiet fan) in the room has temp around 29C constantly.

G

do you like to work for nothing? is it pleasant? ROFLMAO. :lol:

i've plugged my home blower to my case ... dunno what happen ... that works?!?