What have I done wrong?

Dukem

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2002
I've done a lot of pencil trick on many of Athlon TBs and all of them were successful at first try. Lately, I purchased XP1900+ AGOGA and the chips can go at @1.74 without changing any voltage with a 145 FSB. The CPU temp was around 33C idle and 40C load. Last week I decided to connect the infamous L1 brigdes using a kit I bought from CrazyPC.com (first time on the XP).
After, satisfied with my connection using Tomshardware's Scotch method, I applied a considerable amount of Arctic Silver3 and put it back to the socket. However, I found that my temp went sky rocket to 56C without changing any thing in the Bios. I let it run on Win2K for half an hour and the temp went up to 63C and I didn't do anything!. I thought I applied too much AS3 and took it out to reapply it using thinner layer. I've even wipe out the surrounding area of the core using alcohol solution to clear out any residue. When I put it back on my PC, the screen just went blank. I tried to put on my other system,the same thing happened. so, I concluded that I've kill it...but I'm not giving up on trying to connect XP L1 yet. Any additional information or guides for this process will be appreciated.

Spec: Shuttle AK35GT2
1024 Samsung XtrPC3000
Cooler Master HCC-001 heatsink

LED

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2002
Those temps werent too high, plus the AS3 takes some time to settle. A member here will pretty much say you can run 'em till they're white hot as long as theyre not locking up. I say anything 65 or below is safe. I wouldn't want to be 1 degree short of an AMDmeltdown.

"I applied a considerable amount of Arctic Silver3"

Maybe you over considered? Why isnt the proc working? Any noticeable damage to core, pins? Anything blackened?

I sold my sig for $50.

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
Those temps werent too high, plus the AS3 takes some time to settle. A member here will pretty much say you can run 'em till they're white hot as long as theyre not locking up. I say anything 65 or below is safe. I wouldn't want to be 1 degree short of an AMDmeltdown.

And im right, as for being 1 degree short of a meltdown, if you slather as3 on in gobs as it appears this poor guy did your gonna meltdown right after you lockup.

:wink: The Cash Left In My Pocket,The BEST Benchmark :wink:

Dukem

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2002
This is how I applied my AS3:
After I applied and smooth out the core with AS3, I put it back to the socket and installed the heaksink. I let it be for a few minutes without turning on my PC. After that I pull the heatsink out and any access AS3 that stick to the heatsink I lap it on the surface. Then I smooth out the remaining AS3 on the core before installing the heatsink back to the socket. I examined the cpu and the're seem to be no crack on the core. I'm thinking when I scraped the super glue that I put on the pit using a paper knife, I did manage to scraped some of the dots and create a scratch between L1 and L3. Could that course a problem?or is super glue is the right choice to cover up the pit?

jankphil

Distinguished
May 17, 2002
sounds like you used way to much AC3. The only point of that stuff is to transfer heat, so the less area heat has to move from the core to the heatsinks the better. =\