Sign in with
Your question

HELP! I'm clueless!

Last response: in CPUs
June 30, 2002 7:03:15 PM

ok i have no idea what the problem is.

It is NOT the power supply because i used a voltage meter and the 5v line and 12v line is fine.

evertime i run a game the game crashes in windows. Seems to happen during the day when it's the hottest.

the cards and the chipset are all running Hot!. Hotter then the cpu.

and i just bought a sound card as i thought that was causing it at Newegg. And Newegg makes it very difficult to cancel your order.

So now what? What would you do?

the past 3 weeks i've been having problems. first it was BSOD.. took out raid no more BSOD. Now my games are crashing into windows.

nothing is overclocked. It's not freezing up either. Nothing is freezing up. It just crashes into windows?

anyone got a clue and seriously what would you do!?

<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?id=9933" target="_new"> My Rig </A>

More about : clueless

June 30, 2002 7:25:38 PM

what version of windows are you using? you could try reformatting, i know its a hassle but its always worked for me. have you got latest graphics drivers and mobo bios? can you try your system with a different graphics card to isolate the problem?

I need a 1.5 Ghz Athlon + 512mb ddr ram to write emails......honestly
June 30, 2002 7:44:14 PM

Quote:
Seems to happen during the day when it's the hottest.

Well, this appears to be a case of your machine running too damn hot! What CPU and HSF are you running? Is it overclocked? What's the ambient temp of the room? If it's an Athlon, I would not trust the stock heatsink at ambient temps above 80°F. Perhaps you need a better HSF and use some AS3.

Also, make sure your case is well ventilated. Two large exhaust fans should take care of it (intake fan is unnecessary if you have enough exhaust vacuum).

Ritesh
Related resources
June 30, 2002 8:03:00 PM

windows XP PRO and i already formated 3 times.

i have the latest drivers and BIOS .. i don't have a different graphics card.

It's not the graphics card because i ran 3dmark 2002 without any problems. I doubted it was the soundcard because my TV worksfine.

It's only when i'm running a game it seems like. Something intensive.

<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?id=9933" target="_new"> My Rig </A>
June 30, 2002 8:19:26 PM

yeah sounds like something running to hot, but if it was i would expect the system to freeze and not just crash into windows, try taking side casing off so everything is cool and see if it still crashes.

CAUTION: this post is highly flamable
June 30, 2002 8:20:53 PM

i'm using a global win HSF. The fan is a Delta 60mm fan running at 8000RPM's and the temp was running at a cool 44C in 94 degree weather. I put AS2 on the die. The cpu is fine.

it's very well ventalitated. I have a antec sx1040B case. I have 2 fans in the front and 2 fans in the back.

thanks anyway ...

BTW my computer has officially crashed... for the forth time in a month! i'm on my laptop which has a pentium 3 and i have NEVER had a problem like my AMD system.

Me very tempted to buy intel .. i'm like this close ...

Anonymous
a b à CPUs
a b ) Power supply
June 30, 2002 9:01:26 PM

whats your config? your OC settings?

<i>if you know you don't know, the way could be more easy ...</i>
June 30, 2002 9:04:24 PM

please click on "my rig" and go under "my system rig" i think it's called. well it's the first one. for specifics about my current system. BTW i no longer have RAID set up. Nor do i have a sound blaster installed.

nothing is overclocked.

Anonymous
a b à CPUs
a b ) Power supply
June 30, 2002 10:09:34 PM

it seems to be a cooling issue.
wich HSF have you? (brand,model,specs..)
is it mounted correctly on your cpu? is it hot?

Quote:

the cards and the chipset are all running Hot!. Hotter then the cpu.

how your chipset it is cooled?
is your graphics card really hot? is the AIW HSF running? is the graphics card memory hot?
what the ambient air temp?
is your case opened or closed?

June 30, 2002 10:32:57 PM

the cpu is fine like i've stated before in a different post.

case temp was 35 and cpu temp was 44. It's about 95 out here too.

hmm i didn't check to see if the video card fan was running .. let me check that ...

Anonymous
a b à CPUs
a b ) Power supply
June 30, 2002 10:59:18 PM

haha. what did you say?!? @ 95°C you fry your processor.
note: have you the money to buy another one? ...

moreover i asked you your ambient air temp (not the cpu nor the mb temp)

June 30, 2002 11:28:34 PM

"moreover i asked you your ambient air temp (not the cpu nor the mb temp)"

didn't see that part ... i don't know the ambient air temp ... so ya ... ahh it's 82F and my case temp is 100F.

June 30, 2002 11:44:14 PM

and how is your northbridge cooling?
motherboard manufacturers often use crapp ass cooling solutions.

<font color=green>Proud member of THG's</font color=green> <font color=blue>Den Of Thieves</font color=blue> :lol: 
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
a b ) Power supply
June 30, 2002 11:47:04 PM

Quote:
i'm using a global win HSF. The fan is a Delta 60mm fan running at <b>8000RPM's</b> and the temp was running at <b>a cool 44C in 94 degree weather</b>. I put AS2 on the die. The cpu is fine.

DUMB!

June 30, 2002 11:49:50 PM

What mobo are you using?

are you SURE you got the latest detonators drivers? If you are, perhaps you should try an official release. (i assume you have nvidia)

was your last sound card a sound blaster? Which one did you order from newegg? What southbridge do you have. If the XP a ripped or "official" copy.

Ergo, tell us everything humanly possible about your system.

Benchmarks are like sex, everybody loves doing it, everybody thinks they are good at it.
June 30, 2002 11:56:22 PM

I had that problem before, but I have an Nvidia card. I update the driver and the directx engine, and now the game is running fine.
July 1, 2002 12:36:43 AM

hmmm
well run your PC till it crashes, then remove the fan and touch the heatsink. if its warm or hot its doing its job. if its cold then its probably not touching the surface of the northbridge chip properly.

the NB cooler is typically held on in 2 ways:
via a sticky thermal adhesive, gently twist then pull to remove, or via plastic pins that clip through the motherboard.

<font color=green>Proud member of THG's</font color=green> <font color=blue>Den Of Thieves</font color=blue> :lol: 
July 1, 2002 12:59:59 AM

Did you measure the voltages under full load, when the CPU and GPU are working their hardest? This is when they are drawing lots of current.

Try using Motherboard Monitor 5 and set it in log mode. Run your applications. If your system crashes just reboot and then look at the log. See how the voltages changed.

<b>I have so many cookies I now have a FAT problem!</b><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by phsstpok on 06/30/02 09:02 PM.</EM></FONT></P>
!