8400 = dual CPU ?

I recently purchased a DELL 8400 PC.

While poking around in various system displays, it seems to be claiming
that the computer has two CPU units.

Is that true, and what is the impact of it?

--
R. Dale Shipp
dale@_delete_this_min.net

"R. Dale Shipp" <dale@_delete_min.net> wrote in message
>I recently purchased a DELL 8400 PC.
>
> While poking around in various system displays, it seems to be claiming
> that the computer has two CPU units.
>
> Is that true, and what is the impact of it?

It doesn't have two physical CPUs, but it does have Hyperthreading which
makes one processor appear as two. It speeds up multitasking and takes
better advantage of the processor's resources.

tonys

it call Intel Marketing... get you to buy something that has a fancy name to
it...,like MMX or Centrino....and fine out that it does not really work

"Eddie Aftandilian" <aftandilian@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> "R. Dale Shipp" <dale@_delete_min.net> wrote in message
>>I recently purchased a DELL 8400 PC.
>>
>> While poking around in various system displays, it seems to be claiming
>> that the computer has two CPU units.
>>
>> Is that true, and what is the impact of it?
>
> It doesn't have two physical CPUs, but it does have Hyperthreading which
> makes one processor appear as two. It speeds up multitasking and takes
> better advantage of the processor's resources.

I believe every measurable benchmark would disagree with your broad
statement.
"tonys" <aarcuda@lvcm.com.spam> wrote in message
> it call Intel Marketing... get you to buy something that has a fancy name
> to it...,like MMX or Centrino....and fine out that it does not really work

> "Eddie Aftandilian" <aftandilian@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> "R. Dale Shipp" <dale@_delete_min.net> wrote in message
>>>I recently purchased a DELL 8400 PC.
>>>
>>> While poking around in various system displays, it seems to be claiming
>>> that the computer has two CPU units.
>>>
>>> Is that true, and what is the impact of it?
>>
>> It doesn't have two physical CPUs, but it does have Hyperthreading which
>> makes one processor appear as two. It speeds up multitasking and takes
>> better advantage of the processor's resources.

Tony

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2001

can you disable the Hyperthreading? Will it make a difference in
performance?
Thanks,

> I believe every measurable benchmark would disagree with your broad
> statement.
> "tonys" <aarcuda@lvcm.com.spam> wrote in message
> > it call Intel Marketing... get you to buy something that has a fancy
name
> > to it...,like MMX or Centrino....and fine out that it does not really
work

> > "Eddie Aftandilian" <aftandilian@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> >> "R. Dale Shipp" <dale@_delete_min.net> wrote in message

> >> It doesn't have two physical CPUs, but it does have Hyperthreading
which
> >> makes one processor appear as two. It speeds up multitasking and takes
> >> better advantage of the processor's resources.

yes< in the bios, it will hurt your performance
"Tony" <trome52@myway.com> wrote in message
> can you disable the Hyperthreading? Will it make a difference in
> performance?
> Thanks,

>> I believe every measurable benchmark would disagree with your broad
>> statement.
>> "tonys" <aarcuda@lvcm.com.spam> wrote in message
>> > it call Intel Marketing... get you to buy something that has a fancy
> name
>> > to it...,like MMX or Centrino....and fine out that it does not really
> work

>> > "Eddie Aftandilian" <aftandilian@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> claiming

> which

tonys

yeah... and every additional dollar you pay for Intel Hype...really shows
up .............

> yes< in the bios, it will hurt your performance
> "Tony" <trome52@myway.com> wrote in message
>> can you disable the Hyperthreading? Will it make a difference in
>> performance?
>> Thanks,
>>
>> "Tom Scales" <tomtoo@softhome.net> wrote in message
>>> I believe every measurable benchmark would disagree with your broad
>>> statement.
>>> "tonys" <aarcuda@lvcm.com.spam> wrote in message
>> name
>> work

>> claiming

>> which

nick

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

On Sat, 6 Nov 2004 10:52:32 -0800, in alt.sys.pc-clone.dell, "tonys"
<aarcuda@cox.net.spam> wrote:

>yeah... and every additional dollar you pay for Intel Hype...really shows
>up .............

You're the one who decides how much to spend and which computer to buy.

If you don't want an expensive, high end, high powered computer, don't buy
an expensive, high end, high powered computer.

There are plenty of cheap, low end, low powered computers on the market.

Sheesh...

--
Nick <mailto:tanstaafl@pobox.com>

"My mind is already made up. I do not want any facts,
as they would simply confuse me." M.E.

Tony

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2001

I have the 8400 3.4 mhz ht, is there a page where i can findout if i can
upgrade to a faster processor? Down the road i may add.
Thanks,
Tony

"Nick" <tanstaafl@pobox.com> wrote in message

> On Sat, 6 Nov 2004 10:52:32 -0800, in alt.sys.pc-clone.dell, "tonys"
> <aarcuda@cox.net.spam> wrote:
>
> >yeah... and every additional dollar you pay for Intel Hype...really
shows
> >up .............
>
> You're the one who decides how much to spend and which computer to buy.
>
> If you don't want an expensive, high end, high powered computer, don't buy
> an expensive, high end, high powered computer.
>
> There are plenty of cheap, low end, low powered computers on the market.
>
> Sheesh...
>
> --
> Nick <mailto:tanstaafl@pobox.com>
>
> "My mind is already made up. I do not want any facts,
> as they would simply confuse me." M.E.

You can upgrade to a 3.6, which Intel has announced is the end of the
line -- they dropped the 4Ghz in favor of dual core processors.
>I have the 8400 3.4 mhz ht, is there a page where i can findout if i can
> upgrade to a faster processor? Down the road i may add.
> Thanks,
> Tony
>
> "Nick" <tanstaafl@pobox.com> wrote in message
>>
>> On Sat, 6 Nov 2004 10:52:32 -0800, in alt.sys.pc-clone.dell, "tonys"
>> <aarcuda@cox.net.spam> wrote:
>>
>> >yeah... and every additional dollar you pay for Intel Hype...really
> shows
>> >up .............
>>
>> You're the one who decides how much to spend and which computer to buy.
>>
>> If you don't want an expensive, high end, high powered computer, don't
>> buy
>> an expensive, high end, high powered computer.
>>
>> There are plenty of cheap, low end, low powered computers on the market.
>>
>> Sheesh...
>>
>> --
>> Nick <mailto:tanstaafl@pobox.com>
>>
>> "My mind is already made up. I do not want any facts,
>> as they would simply confuse me." M.E.

Tony

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2001

Thanks Tom..

> You can upgrade to a 3.6, which Intel has announced is the end of the
> line -- they dropped the 4Ghz in favor of dual core processors.
> "Tony" <trome52@myway.com> wrote in message
> >I have the 8400 3.4 mhz ht, is there a page where i can findout if i can
> > upgrade to a faster processor? Down the road i may add.
> > Thanks,
> > Tony
> >
> > "Nick" <tanstaafl@pobox.com> wrote in message

> > shows
> >>
> >> You're the one who decides how much to spend and which computer to buy.
> >>
> >> If you don't want an expensive, high end, high powered computer, don't
> >> buy
> >> an expensive, high end, high powered computer.
> >>
> >> There are plenty of cheap, low end, low powered computers on the
market.

> >> Sheesh...
> >>
> >> --
> >> Nick <mailto:tanstaafl@pobox.com>
> >>
> >> "My mind is already made up. I do not want any facts,
> >> as they would simply confuse me." M.E.

No, you do not have 2 processors. If you go to task manager and press
performance, you will see 2 processors graphs. Intel Hyperthreading
incorperates two ALU's which is similar to 2 processors but not quite.
In Bios you can disable Hyperthreading, but you will notice a big
performance drop, starting with windows boot times. Measure windows
boot times in both instances and you'll see what I'm talking about.

--
dhsa