Whats retail? Whats OEM?

grassapa

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2002
Im not a computer noob, its just that I have never bought computer parts before so this might sound like a noob question but: When you buy a cpu or a graphics card or whatever, whats the difference between retail and OEM, whats better?
thanks

"I would sell my soul for a truly legit 08 valor"

chuck232

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2002
Retail is usually a boxed set with everything included. Retail also usually includes a 3-5 year manufacturers warranty. Retail also usually costs more.

OEM may just be a card on its own with a cable and a guide, nothing else. In the case of a video card, it could also be clocked at lower speeds. They're usually a bit cheaper. In the case of CPUs, the retail box comes with a HSF while the OEM version does not. Also OEM things usually only come with a 10-30 day retailer's warranty, so you can't go running to Intel for a defective CPU. You'd have to go to where you bought it.

:smile: Falling down stairs saves time :smile:

slickstaa

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2002
the only time i opt for retail is with cpus and sometimes mobos. Otherwise, OEM is a great value especially with something like hard drives where the manufacturer will honor the three year warranty anyway.

chuck232

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2002
But try not to get OEM video cards, unless you hear good thigs about them. They usually use lower quality components and are clocked lower.

:smile: Falling down stairs saves time :smile: