Pentium 4 or AMD Athlon XP+

Tags:
  • CPUs
  • Pentium
  • AMD
  • Gaming
Last response: in CPUs
July 1, 2002 2:07:20 PM

P4 or AMD ? For gaming purpose, what's better ? why is it better ? Some friends told me P4 would be better because the bus is larger, is that true ? Please reply fast !

thank you,
hasu

More about : pentium amd athlon

July 1, 2002 2:18:29 PM

Pentium 4 ... well that was easy good day .. lol ... The P4 is better because it has reliable chipsets that work. The CPU itself is reliable because you never have to worry about it burning your house down. And there isn't so many chipsets to choose from and so many boards to choose from to drive you mad.

I got the Abit IT7, pentium 4 2.0ghz, and 512MB of Corsair XMS PC2700 CAS 2 RAM for 500 bucks.

<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?id=9933" target="_new"> My Rig </A>
July 1, 2002 2:44:42 PM

Hey Hey, now Skater, just cause you had a bad experience, doesn't mean you should put AMD down. Now, how much have you got to spend and are you gonna overclock? Overclocking, Intel reigns supreme, but at stock speeds get a AMD AthlonXP.

:smile: Falling down stairs saves time :smile:
Related resources
July 1, 2002 3:26:20 PM

if you overclock get a p4 1.8 and clock it to about 2.4
if you dont overclock get an amd xp1800 i believe they give best value for money at the moment.
ignore any and all FUD about athlons overheating and burning up... only intel trolls spread this. also ignore trolls telling you how athlon cores crumble and crack at thelightest touch. this is also FUD.
both camps make equally good processors with intel taking the performance crown at themoment. if you have large amounts of money to throw into a new comp get the latest intel. if you wish tho overclock get an intel 1.8. if you are only running at stock speds get an axp.
if you are building a gaming system get a mid range cpu (amd intel) and splash out on a good graphics card as this will be more important to you. also bear in mind the cost of other components (ram) etc.

I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message.
July 1, 2002 3:49:33 PM

Pentium 4 for overclocking, Athlons for better performing stock speeds.

*shrugs* probably doesn't matter, but an "old" Athlon XP 1800+ oc'ed with an air cooler can yield good performance just by upping the FSB. They run only about $90 now at most online stores, and about $95 for a retail with fan combo.

Mine's running at 1666Mhz, 10 multiplier, 166Mhz FSB.

"When there's a will, there's a way."
July 1, 2002 4:00:10 PM

i have to agree, amd does make a decent gaming machine (i myself have a athlon sp 1900+ and love it. If you have the money, go intel. If your planning on making state of the art, go graphic card definatly, you can get a athlon 1600+ with a GeForce 4 4400 and get 2/3 the framerate of a GeForce 4 MX. Also i would recommend at least 512 megs of ram for gaming.
July 1, 2002 4:17:19 PM

oh i'm not mocking AMD, i'm mocking the chipsets. Read it, i never once mentioned AMD i think ... AMD CPU's are great, but try and find a reliable powerhouse board along with it and your not gonna find one. Even the Abit AT7 has problems with the RAM and how the CPU socket is placed.

The intel board was perfect. Besides speed isn't everything. Look at the ATI cards. Think of AMD as brute force and Intel as a well rounded versatile chip. Just like nvidia and ati are respectivly. *shrugs* ... just makin a comparasin or trying i guess lol!

<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?id=9933" target="_new"> My Rig </A><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by xxsk8er101xx on 07/01/02 12:24 PM.</EM></FONT></P>
July 1, 2002 4:26:35 PM

then why is my dragon+ running with zero problems? its not doing what you said, stupid amd chipsets, they never work right.

how do you shoot the devil in the back? what happens if you miss? -verbal
July 1, 2002 7:39:59 PM

My 4 Shuttle AK31A mobos with Athlon XPs run with zero problems. I think VIA has everything ironed out.
July 1, 2002 9:16:17 PM

Quote:
put it in raid and have all 3 dimms populated. :) 

Try both DIMM slots (original GA-7DX board) and all but one PCI slot filled, with Intel Gigabit, cheap GlobalWin HSF, SCSI RAID, and the infamous SBLive! in its original PCB revision. :wink: Rock-solid.

<i>I can love my fellow man...but I'm damned if I'll love yours.</i>
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
a b 4 Gaming
July 1, 2002 9:31:42 PM

hehe. an Intel biased.

<i>if you know you don't know, the way could be more easy ...</i>
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
a b 4 Gaming
July 1, 2002 9:39:36 PM

hehe. i laugh because everyone shrinks Creative, everyone claims Creative but everyone has a Creative sound card (sbLive! or another..). hmmfff

July 2, 2002 2:31:58 AM

lol noooo ... amd cpu's are great. I never had a problem with the AMD cpu. I've had nothing but problems with every single chipset

I don't care if someone thinks they are "ironed out". I told myself no more VIA and there is a reason for it.
but ya i just don't care for the chipsets.

I really don't think i'll notice a difference but i'm sure i'll notice stability and reliability.

<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?id=9933" target="_new"> My Rig </A>
July 2, 2002 2:39:37 AM

mmm that's strange for a SB Live, i've had (and continue to have) years of very clear and pop and hiss free sound from my SB Live

<font color=red>isit alan?</font color=red>
July 2, 2002 7:42:38 AM

I build those about everyday.....:)  Using Via and Nvidia chipsets.......

good rig.......my 1900+ will be up and running soon.....I just need a case and a floppy.....oh yea cpu cooler.....I'm thinking about using a vol 7+. Kinda heavy bugger.......but cools well.....

MeldarthX
July 2, 2002 8:21:10 AM

Quote:
The P4 is better because it has reliable chipsets that work.

So does the amd.

Quote:
The CPU itself is reliable because you never have to worry about it burning your house down.

Trollish comment, you dont have to worry about burning anything with either chip.

Quote:
And there isn't so many chipsets to choose from and so many boards to choose from to drive you mad.

Yes, choice hurts skaters poor brain.

God skater, you bought an intel 2 days ago and you already act like a troll.

For the poster, it boils down to one line.

If you overclock, intel, if you dont, amd.

Accept no substitutes.

:wink: The Cash Left In My Pocket,The BEST Benchmark :wink:
July 2, 2002 1:14:59 PM

wow lol relax ... it's kind of a sarcastic silly post lol ... besides it's my opinion. I don't like AMD chipsets they don't work. When i say work i mean works 100% of the time. No glitches no nothing like the VIA chipsets have. As for SIS there is not one poweruser board made with the SIS chipset, not one. ANd if you forget it is entirely true that the AMD's burn up. I don't care if the heatsink is on or off. That is a fact and you cannot dispute that.

so ya it was just a silly post. relax

Anonymous
a b à CPUs
a b 4 Gaming
July 2, 2002 2:38:25 PM

Quote:

<b>How do I solve Soundblaster Audigy problems?</b>
In general the Soundblaster Audigy seems less prone to the crackling and popping problems for which the Live! series were renowned. However, heavy activity on the PCI bus may still cause the occasional crackle. Potential solutions include:

Under Windows XP, ensure you apply the correct Windows XP patch for the Audigy. Note that the initial release of this patch does not support Creative's "RemoteCenter" (infrared control software) or the "Creative Recorder". Creative also warn that the Creative Taskbar is not currently XP compatible. These incompatibilities will be fixed in a subsequent upgrade. The driver update is called ADGXPDrvUpdate.exe.
Crackling can often be caused by the master volume on the sound mixer being set at 100%. Try reducing it to 80% or so and using your hardware volume control instead. Note that there are some reports that the initial driver releases may cause the volume control to occasionally get reset to 100%.
To resolve pops and clicks, try moving the board out of PCI slots 4 or 6 and/or disabling USB. One report that this solved the problem.
Disabling ACPI can resolve crackling by changing the means by which interrupts are shared on the computer (see What is ACPI?).
Installing the latest VIA IDE miniport driver may resolve the problem by improving the use of bus mastering by hard disks on the PCI bus.
Update your Highpoint drivers to the latest version
Try running the "Creative Restore Defaults" program found in the Soundblaster Audigy directory
Are you using a PS/2 mouse? Try changing to a USB mouse - this resolved all crackling issues on my machine. Presumably a USB mouse places different demands on the PCI bus compared with a PS/2 mouse.
If you have a RAID motherboard, try disabling either the VIA IDE controller or the Highpoint controller by moving all your disks onto one or other of the controllers. This reduces the load on the PCI bus.
Try installing the 4in1 drivers both before and after installing the Audigy drivers. One user found that v4.35 of the drivers resolved crackling.
Try unzipping the driver installation file by hand, then running the setup.exe program with the /w parameter (ie. "setup /w").
If during driver installation under WindowsXP the computer claims it cannot find the Audigy card, try the following. First, make sure all previous drivers are removed. Go through the following steps to do so:
Open My Computer, Properties, Hardware tab. Click on Driver Signing.
Select the option: "IGNORE - INSTALL THE SOFTWARE ANYWAY AND DON'T ASK FOR MY APPROVAL". Click OK.
Click Start, Control Panel, then "Add or Remove Programs" and remove all Creative applications relating to the sound card.
Insert the sound card's installation CD.
Go to Start then Run... and type: X:\AUDIO\ENGLISH\DRIVERS\CTZAPXX.EXE
where X is your CDROM drive letter.
Click OK and follow the instructions to remove the drivers.
Reboot when prompted.
The sound card will be detected by Windows as a "PCI multimedia audio device" and prompt the "Add New Hardware Wizard".
Cancel the "Add New Hardware Wizard".
Click Start then Run... and type: X:\AUDIO\ENGLISH\DRIVERS\CTZAPXX.EXE
where X is your CDROM drive letter.
Download the Windows XP compatible Audigy drivers. Select "Save to disk" and download the update to "My desktop" or "C:\WINDOWS\DESKTOP".
When the file has completed the phase of being transferred to your computer, locate the file AUDRVWDM.EXE on your desktop and double-click the file.
The driver update utility will initialize and begin the phase of updating your sound board drivers. Follow the instructions carefully.

If it is still telling you that it can't detect the Audigy, try the following steps:

Verify the file name of the download is AUDRVWDM.EXE.
Extract the file into a temporary directory; the update can be extracted with WinZIP, WinRAR, or WinACE. Once the file is extracted, update the drivers with the "Update Device Driver wizard" in the Device Manager; the drivers are located in the DRIVERS folder

If you have problems installing the drivers under Windows 9x/Me try the following:
Starting from a clean install of Windows, let the OS detect the card. If the card shows up under "other device" with a question mark in Device Manager remove the device and reboot. It is important for Windows to properly detect the card as a Sound device.
Once the OS has detected the card and the install wizard pops up, cancel the wizard.
Reboot into Safe Mode. Use Ctzapxx to install the vxd drivers. If Safe Mode does not offer CD support you may need to first copy the drivers from the CD onto the hard disk.
Reboot. You should hear the Windows sound as your machine boots.
Install the software (and drivers unfortunately!) from the CD.
Reboot

KR7A(-RAID) only: Disable APIC in the BIOS (this is the default)
KR7A(-RAID) only: Install the VIA PCI latency patch and update to BIOS 6N or later
KR7A(-RAID) only: Several people are reporting severe problems with the Audigy series of cards and the KR7A(-RAID) when running WindowsXP. Typically the drivers appear unable to install correctly resulting in the card being unrecognised by the system. There is no known solution at present although it should be pointed out that it is possible to get this combination working - I am using this combination on my system without difficulty or any special modifications. However, it is currently not clear what the difference between a working and non-working setup is. There is some evidence that this may be due to a bad batch of Audigy cards as some users have resolved this by replacing the card with another identical one. Apparently Creative Support in France are telling customers that "It has nothing to do with IRQs. Lots of customers have the same problem with the Audigy on KR7A motherboards. Neither ABIT nor us have any viable solution for now ; it seems KR7A boards damage Audigy ones. We are currently working with ABIT to solve this problem; unfortunately, we
haven't been able to reproduce it yet."
KR7A(-RAID) only: Several reports that the combination of an older 3COM network interface card (NIC), including the 3Com 3C905B-TXM card, and Audigy can result in problems, including damage to Audigy cards. Use of other NIC brands apparently resolves this problem. Note that this is not true of all 3Com cards: I have an Audigy, KR7A-RAID and 3COM 3C905C NIC with no problems at all and several users have emailed to say that they too have no problems with this combination.
KR7A(-RAID) only: One report that the combination of the Cardexpert Gainward ti/500 GeForce 2 and Audigy can result in problems, including damage to Audigy cards.
New KR7A(-RAID) only: Some users believe that the cause of the problem is the combination of ACPI 2.0 compliant motherboards (such as the KR7A-RAID) and the use of a non-ACPI-compliant (but power-management enabled) PCI card in the system. See here for a long thread about the issue. A work around is install Windows as a standard PC (not ACPI) - see "What is ACPI?" in the miscellaneous section for details of how to do this.
New KR7A(-RAID) only: There are reports that Creative Support have unofficially stated that the 'ID's' for the Audigy card seem to get scrambled. There is an EEPROM chip on the card which contains information on what particular card it is, model etc and a few feature codes. The data on the EEPROM somehow get's scrambled during a dmi pool (ESCD etc) update on a lot of VIA platforms - as has been shown mainly when there is an older network card in the system
KG7(-RAID) only: There are several AMD761 chipset options that affect the behaviour of the PCI bus that ABIT have chosen not to make available to the user through the BIOS. Of particular interest here are PCI Delay Transaction, PCI Ordering Rules and Target Latency Rules. By default ABIT disable these three options, resulting in a PCI bus that is not fully PCI 2.2 compliant - although potentially marginally faster. By enabling these three options we can force the PCI bus to be fully PCI 2.2 compliant and this can help resolve crackling problems. As we cannot do this through the BIOS we must use WPCREDIT and WPCRSET to modify the registers from within Windows. These are available on the downloads page. You must modify two registers: 4C and 84. Using WPCREDIT, modify bits 1 and 2 of register 4C to be set (to 1) and bit 2 of register 84 to be set. Leave the other bits unchanged. In hex this means setting register 4C to 07h and 84 to 9Eh. WPCREDIT only makes this change until the next reboot. If this appears to resolve the crackling problem, then you may wish to make this a permanent change, in which case you need to use WPCRSET to modify these two registers automatically each time Windows boots.
There is a new unofficial Audigy FAQ here which may also help.

from this <A HREF="http://www.viahardware.com/faq/kg7kr7/sound.htm#audigy" target="_new">review</A>
as you can see, each problem has a solution. (generally a driver issue)
i believe it is also the case with a Turtle Beach but i don't know until now this sound card brand.

and here the <A HREF="http://mipagina.cantv.net/guizzo/" target="_new">unofficial Audigy FAQ</A>

July 2, 2002 4:26:03 PM

Quote:
besides it's my opinion. I don't like AMD chipsets they don't work.

Your oppinion is fud and it is wrong.

Quote:
ANd if you forget it is entirely true that the AMD's burn up.

Amd chips can burn up, so can p3's so can p4's(if you try hard) but what you said was "burn the house down" which is both retarded and trollish.

Dont try to defend your trolling, it only makes it worse.

July 2, 2002 5:09:15 PM

? ooook ? .. thanks for the info but i don't even have an Audigy card? Would this still apply to sound blaster live 5.1 cards?

I have the Live 5.1 card and i tried the latency patch and that crashed my computer to a point wher i had to reinstall winxp.

the weird problem i'm having also is all of the chips are HOT. from RAM to video card to network card. I already checked the voltage on the PSU and it's almost exactly what it's suppose to. It's not overvoltage.

thanks for the info though!

July 2, 2002 5:20:55 PM

"Your oppinion is fud and it is wrong."

ok well thats your opinion heheh .. unlike you i respect your opinion.

"Amd chips can burn up, so can p3's so can p4's(if you try hard) but what you said was "burn the house down" which is both retarded and trollish."

nooo it was an elaboration to make a joke.

Bbesides i don't know but i didn't see the P3 flame up like the AMD chip did. it's on video dude! common fly back down to earth ok lol ...

anyway ... it's all cool AMD or intel ... just becareful not to be an extremist and a far left or far right person.

Amazing how your calling me a troll just because i bought an Intel because i wasn't happy with AMD. Talk about disrespect. You don't see me calling u names do u?

Anonymous
a b à CPUs
a b 4 Gaming
July 2, 2002 5:56:28 PM

LoL

Anonymous
a b à CPUs
a b 4 Gaming
July 2, 2002 6:05:15 PM

(second) Your opinion is fud and it is wrong. hmmfff!!

Intel biased troll.

July 2, 2002 6:14:28 PM

does it even matter? your name calling is FUD and it's wrong ... you're also a computer geek extremist.

i could care less, i just want a computer that works. Either AMD or Intel, it doesn't matter.

i'm not argueing with you about this. this is stupid.

godo day.

July 2, 2002 8:49:55 PM

just for the record...not all chipsets for AMD cpus are crap...AMD chipsets are reliable...its not like VIA is the only company that makes chipsets for AMD (even though it seems like it)...
and about the analogy with intel, amd, ati, and nvidia...i think you got it backwards...
intel uses brute force to do its processing (at least for the P4's)...while AMD (AXP in particular) is more "efficient" with their processing (AXP do more operations per cycle than P4's...henced why a 1.6 ghz AXP can compete w/ a 2 ghz P4)...
the same with ati and nvidia...ati's R8500 is clocked at 275/275 while nvidia's gf4 ti4200 is at 250/250 (i think)...and the ti4200 is the slightly faster card...which kinda means nvidia is more efficient with their video cards...
nuff said...

:eek:  <b>Who fixed <font color=red>ATI</font color=red>'s leaky faucet??</b> :eek: 
July 2, 2002 10:45:32 PM

ya depends on your point of view ...

as for chipsets ... Sis, show me a Sis board with RAID?
As for ali Magic or whatever, there is a reason why only two motherboard manufacturers carry that chipset. AMD760 is old and out of date. Why upgrade to something i already have now? VIA, need i say more? Sorry but for ME i don't trust there chipsets anymore.

As you can see there weren't any choices. U think i wanted to fork up 500 bucks? My computer is my life and my carreer. As far as i can see, and i did a lot of research on AMD motherboards, there wasn't anything out in the market worthy of my dollar. The Abit IT7 impressed me soo much that decided to go with that. Yes they have a AT7 but that just didn't impress me as much as the IT7 did. I've read reviews after reviews.

so ya ... ok done rambling ... ok ya i see your point too. What i was looking at though wasn't mhz, it was features.

I'm learning that speed means nothing. It's the features and relibilty of what you need, is what counts if u think about it.

I was compareing features. Intel is more featured filled then AMD. Includes on-die thermal protection or throttle something rather lol and is made for reliabilty for example... and AMD has nothing like that and simply geared for brute force. For ATI, ATI is focused on featers. With your ati card, you get a full featured DVD, File player etc. ATI cards aren't so hot. Touch a ATI radeon (not sure about the 8500) and then touch a nvidia card. Nvidia cards get really hot! soooo ya thats wher i was coming from. Features. Speed means nothing if your computer is crashing all the time.

so ya ... i agree with your point of view too by the way. just showing a different POV.

July 3, 2002 12:55:04 AM

Quote:
show me a Sis board with RAID?

i know of none (at least from the top of my head)...
Quote:
I was compareing features. Intel is more featured filled then AMD. Includes on-die thermal protection or throttle something rather lol and is made for reliabilty for example... and AMD has nothing like that and simply geared for brute force. For ATI, ATI is focused on featers. With your ati card, you get a full featured DVD, File player etc. ATI cards aren't so hot. Touch a ATI radeon (not sure about the 8500) and then touch a nvidia card. Nvidia cards get really hot! soooo ya thats wher i was coming from. Features. Speed means nothing if your computer is crashing all the time.

i didnt know you were referring to features...in that case...i can cur...at least with ati and nvidia...but with intel and amd...its more like a coin toss to me...but (as you said) its just another point of view...

:eek:  <b>Who fixed <font color=red>ATI</font color=red>'s leaky faucet??</b> :eek: 
July 3, 2002 2:34:49 AM

why are you using onboard raid? Gives nothing but head aches AMD or Intel......if you are going to do raid, do it right......pci, or scsi cards.....they are faster and more stable. Yes you do have to pay for another pci card. But my father always taught me, if you're going to do something, do it and do it right the first time.....

MeldarthX
July 3, 2002 7:21:30 AM

Quote:
ok well thats your opinion heheh .. unlike you i respect your opinion.

I dont respect fud oppinions.

Quote:
nooo it was an elaboration to make a joke.

Bbesides i don't know but i didn't see the P3 flame up like the AMD chip did. it's on video dude! common fly back down to earth ok lol ...

You say its a joke, then go on to try and defend the troll comment, it was a troll, it was fud, live with it.

Quote:
Amazing how your calling me a troll just because i bought an Intel because i wasn't happy with AMD. Talk about disrespect. You don't see me calling u names do u?

I didnt call you a troll cause you bought intel, I called you a troll cause you said you bought intel because amd chipsets dont work and they can burn your house down, now run along.

July 3, 2002 2:22:24 PM

so stop arguing.... :lol: 

I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message.
July 3, 2002 3:31:35 PM

What does "FUD" stand for? I always wanted to know but was embarased to ask. It makes me hungry when I read it.

Life's a hole...dig it. - Joe Dirt
July 3, 2002 3:45:22 PM

On that topic, what does RMA stand for? I think it basically means you returned it?

July 3, 2002 4:59:22 PM

Hey, in that case, I might have to "RMA" my Radeon 8500LE hehe... lol. Thanks a lot. I'm gonna bookmark that site.

!