Help cant install windows bcuz disk has mbr partition table

Status
Not open for further replies.

johndud

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2011
tried to fix windows recovery error by reinstalling windows, it didnt want to install so i formatted the ssd, and now it says windows wont install on an EFI hd and that it needs MBR. Is the solution as simple as buying a new ssd for install? I ned serious help now, ive tried using this forum for the other problems i was having and no one even replies.

johndud

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2011

How do i secure erase my ssd? I cant login, cant do safe mode, already reformatted...it is empty

mbreslin1954

Distinguished
You should be able to boot from a Windows 7 install disk, then in one of the early screens when selecting the disk to install it on, delete any partitions on the SSD, then select it to install. Windows should create a new MBR and partition on it.

johndud

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2011

I have tried this, i have an ssd i reformatted then deleted it wont work...the onky other thing i can do is delete or reformat my hd and try that

johndud

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2011

Ok that ended up working, I hooked up the ssd via sata wire to a laptop and deleted volume, then i could install windows. I still have a minor issue tho when my pc boots a grey screen comes up similar to the windows recovery error. It gives me 2 windows boot options, the default boot is the first one and it loads up great, no problems...the second loads up the former windows recovery error...its not a problem, it just makes me curious why?

Is this bcuz the motherboard recognizes 2 windows installed, the newly installed windows on ssd and then the windows from my old hd a year ago when I built the pc I have now?

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Probably. Wiping the HDD would resolve that problem. BTW, when you installed Windows on the SSD, was the HDD connected to both power and data? If so, you may have some system files loaded on the HDD vice the SSD.

When installing Windows to a SSD, you should ensure it is the only device connected (pulling the power connection from the HDD will take care of it) to make sure all of your Windows files are loaded to the SSD.

johndud

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2011

ya they were both connected, they always are, I'm thinking about just leaving it be tho, I don't want to have to wipe my HDD, I just installed steam again and will have to reinstall all my games, I appreciate all the help and advice tho.

ps: do you know of any good windows and pc info books I can check out? I want to learn more about computers in general and I hate reading on the internet cuz it hurts my eyes.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Honestly, I sort of stopped recommending books a few years ago. The issue is that they can't keep pace (publishing-wise) with the rapid evolutions in technology.

Depending on where you live and how old you are, you might check your local community college, high school, or other adult continuing education center to take a PC 101 class. One on troubleshooting would be ideal.

Nowlincod

Honorable
Sep 8, 2013
I have an HP laptop and had this issue arise.

My solution (based on my system's bios) was to make sure that Legacy Support was ENABLED in the bios config, and upon starting my computer I have the option to press F9 to select my boot disk. In my bios my boot lists my USB CD/DVDROM as first to boot and upon pressing F9 at boot It shows my CD/DVDROM as a (UEFI) device and then 3 or 4 entries lower it shows another entry for my USB CD/DVDROM drive WITHOUT the (UEFI) label and by booting from this entry I was able to install Windows 7 successfully.

Ramoth

Honorable
Dec 28, 2013

this worked amazing. got to save the other partition data :)

Richman_32

Honorable
May 29, 2012
This is a very common error message that appears when trying to install both either Windows 7 or Windows 8 as I have encountered it both ways. It can be simply the fact that your installation media is booting in the wrong mode either UEFI or Legacy IDE/SATA. If your installation media is booting in one mode implying a certain disk format and you disk is formatted in the opposite mode than there will be a conflict.

See herehere for full explaination where I explain this which has helped many people in over at sevenforums where I originally posted it.

Status
Not open for further replies.