Sign in with
Your question

Re-start problems in windows ME

Last response: in Windows 95/98/ME
March 3, 2003 10:58:21 AM

Please can somebody help???
I have recently upgraded my windows 98SE operating system with windows ME. During the install I noticed that the restart function was very slow, taking up to 2mins for the screen to switch on again. It is still doing this after the install. the screen just goes blank and nothing happens for a considerable amount of time.
I'm sure there is a reason for this occurrence, but it escapes me at the moment. My system is P4 2.4ghz, 500mbddr ram, Gigabyte 667 titan/ultra Mainboard, ibm 40gb deskstar 7700rpm H/disk, MSI geeforce 4ti 7700 display card, Sound blaster live 5.1 sound card. If you need to know any further info please reply to this post and I'll get back to you. This problem isn't a big one.... morelike irritating. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by welshwizzard on 03/03/03 06:59 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

More about : start problems windows

March 3, 2003 11:17:42 AM

holy crap batman, why the heck would you put Me on a monster like that?

<i>It's always the one thing you never suspected.</i>
March 4, 2003 12:45:34 AM

Best tip is: Take ME off your computer, and hope it doesn't come back to haunt you!

:smile: Peace comes only after absolute victory :smile:
Related resources
March 4, 2003 12:53:59 PM

I know it's case of after the horse has bolted, but ME sucks big time! Really. Drop back to 98SE, there's no gain with ME, unless you love blue screens. I ran it after having 98 and HATED it. Lasted approx 3 weeks before I formatted and re-installed 98.

Either drop back, or go with w2k or XP. Much better for your hardware.
March 5, 2003 9:14:42 PM

Thanx for the advice, but Windows ME is working fine on my pc.
I have discovered what has been causing my system to hang when restarting my pc. The default sound file which activates on exiting Windows ME seems to be corrupted in some way. After deactivating this file the system restarts fine.

Cheers,
Welshwizzard
March 5, 2003 9:49:40 PM

good job.

<i>It's always the one thing you never suspected.</i>
March 8, 2003 5:59:54 PM

Hmmm sorry to spoil your fun but take note of what people are trying to tell you here. Windows Millennium is truly Microsoft's nightmare you'll have nothing but trouble with it down the track!
"Windows XP pro the way to go" for you if you can get hold of a copy otherwise go back to Win98se.
March 9, 2003 7:15:14 PM

Get rid of WinME.

<font color=red>
<A HREF="http://kevan.org/brain.cgi?dhlucke" target="_new">The French are being described as cheese-eating surrender monkeys.</A></font color=red>
!