Warforged Character Concepts

Last response: in Video Games
July 4, 2005 8:17:20 AM

What do you think of these?

1. CN or CE Warforged Rogue named Bender. Works on an airship owned by
a crackpot Artificer, along with a dumb human commoner from the past and
a female mutant human fighter.

2. (More Obscure) Huge Warforged Titan named Bil. Wears a tie. Has a
smaller "third arm" to hold his teddy bear with. Also has a lever on
his back with two settings: "Good" and "Evil". His alignment changes
when the lever is pulled up or down. Doesn't speak much, just booms out
"MEEEEEE BIL!" when he feels the need to express himself. Also appears
to simultaneously rage and gain monk unarmed fighting abilities when
taunted with the destruction of his teddy bear by a birdlike "Clockword
Beast" apparently manned by kenku.

Any other ideas?

- Ron ^*^
Anonymous
July 4, 2005 8:17:21 AM

Werebat wrote:
> What do you think of these?
>
> Any other ideas?

Huge (gargantuan?) Wilder. Shoots lightning bolts from his eyes when
threatened.
Tries to resist the urge to blow stuff up. "I ... am not ... a gun!"

Silveraxe.
Anonymous
July 4, 2005 8:17:21 AM

Werebat wrote:
> Any other ideas?

Warforged Monk, equipped with a Bodysuit of Blending. Friends with a
Warforged Fighter.

"For now we see as through a glass darkly, but then we shall see face
to face."

Laszlo
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
July 4, 2005 1:42:36 PM

A warforged wizard who shoots only red or blue rays, depending on
alignment, and polymorphs into strange conveyances. 'roll out!'
Anonymous
July 4, 2005 4:19:10 PM

Werebat wrote:

> Mincing Warforged Bard with golden plating and skills maxed in Language.

Too obvious.

Silveraxe.
Anonymous
July 4, 2005 4:24:08 PM

Silveraxe wrote:
> Werebat wrote:
>
>>What do you think of these?
>>
>>Any other ideas?
>

> Huge (gargantuan?) Wilder. Shoots lightning bolts from his eyes when
> threatened.
> Tries to resist the urge to blow stuff up. "I ... am not ... a gun!"

Good one.

Mincing Warforged Bard with golden plating and skills maxed in Language.
His model was designed to serve as interpreters for nobles and the
wealthy. Adventures with a small non-humanoid warforged Artificer
shaped like a trash can with legs and filled with hidden gadgets and
doodads.

- Ron ^*^
Anonymous
July 4, 2005 8:55:30 PM

"Repent Werebat!" said the Ticktockman. "Get Stuffed!" Werebat replied.
Then he added:

> Any other ideas?

A colossal Warforged titan with a highly destructive tendancy. Warcry is
"Big Jobs!!"

A party of seven Warforged including fighters, rogues and a cleric sent
into a lawless region to "clean up the place." Catchphase: "Spread the
word."

--
Billy Yank

Quinn: "I'm saying it's us, or them."
Murphy: "Well I choose them."
Q: "That's NOT an option!"
M: "Then you shouldn't have framed it as one."
-Sealab 2021

Billy Yank's Baldur's Gate Photo Portraits
http://members.bellatlantic.net/~vze2xvw6/
Anonymous
July 4, 2005 9:47:24 PM

Warforged fighter with red eyes and talks in an odd accent. He was
sent back in time to protect the party's rogue destined to save the
world from a much more powerful warforged juggernaut. They're being
pursued by a Sheen.

At campaign end he becomes governer or something.

Gerald Katz
Anonymous
July 4, 2005 10:50:58 PM

Mere moments before death, Silveraxe hastily scrawled:
>Werebat wrote:
>>
>> Mincing Warforged Bard with golden plating and skills maxed in Language.
>
>Too obvious.

Yeah, I got it at "Mincing".

Ed Chauvin IV

modifier G @ 11.

--Terry Austin
Anonymous
July 4, 2005 11:36:34 PM

On Mon, 04 Jul 2005 04:17:20 -0400, Werebat <ranpoirier@cox.net> scribed
into the ether:

>What do you think of these?
>
>1. CN or CE Warforged Rogue named Bender. Works on an airship owned by
>a crackpot Artificer, along with a dumb human commoner from the past and
>a female mutant human fighter.

CE. Are warforged even capable of consuming alchohol?

How do you model the ability to store things in his chest without
overpowering him?
Anonymous
July 4, 2005 11:36:35 PM

Matt Frisch wrote:

>On Mon, 04 Jul 2005 04:17:20 -0400, Werebat <ranpoirier@cox.net> scribed
>into the ether:
>

>>What do you think of these?
>>
>>1. CN or CE Warforged Rogue named Bender. Works on an airship owned by
>>a crackpot Artificer, along with a dumb human commoner from the past and
>>a female mutant human fighter.
>>

>CE. Are warforged even capable of consuming alchohol?
>
>How do you model the ability to store things in his chest without
>overpowering him?

They are immune to poison so I would say no to the use of alcohol as
anything other than a cleaning agent.

A built-in Bag of Holding?

--
Tetsubo
My page: http://home.comcast.net/~tetsubo/

Tetsubo wrote:

> Matt Frisch wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 04 Jul 2005 04:17:20 -0400, Werebat <ranpoirier@cox.net> scribed
>> into the ether:
>>

>>> What do you think of these?
>>>
>>> 1. CN or CE Warforged Rogue named Bender. Works on an airship owned
>>> by a crackpot Artificer, along with a dumb human commoner from the
>>> past and a female mutant human fighter.
>>>

>> CE. Are warforged even capable of consuming alchohol?
>>
>> How do you model the ability to store things in his chest without
>> overpowering him?
>>

> They are immune to poison so I would say no to the use of alcohol as
> anything other than a cleaning agent.
>
> A built-in Bag of Holding?

Possum Pouch, which is less "big" and runs the risk of being discovered
with a search check.

I did forget to mention the crabman cleric with low charisma, didn't I?

Damn, you could do a pretty funny mock-up in an Eberron campaign...

- Ron ^*^
Anonymous
July 5, 2005 12:42:27 AM

Ed Chauvin IV wrote:

> Mere moments before death, Silveraxe hastily scrawled:
>
>>Werebat wrote:
>>
>>>Mincing Warforged Bard with golden plating and skills maxed in Language.
>>
>>Too obvious.
>

> Yeah, I got it at "Mincing".

It's hard NOT to be obvious with him.

Still... If you placed your bet at "Mincing", you might have lost if
I'd been talking about Cheop.

- Ron ^*^
Anonymous
July 5, 2005 12:42:36 AM

Matt Frisch wrote:
> On Mon, 04 Jul 2005 04:17:20 -0400, Werebat <ranpoirier@cox.net>
> scribed into the ether:
>

>> What do you think of these?
>>
>> 1. CN or CE Warforged Rogue named Bender. Works on an airship owned
>> by a crackpot Artificer, along with a dumb human commoner from the
>> past and a female mutant human fighter.
>
> CE. Are warforged even capable of consuming alchohol?

Yes, just not of deriving benefits (or drawbacks) from it.

> How do you model the ability to store things in his chest without
> overpowering him?

Non-removable portable hole with a lid.

--
Mark.
Anonymous

Hadsil wrote:

> Warforged fighter with red eyes and talks in an odd accent. He was
> sent back in time to protect the party's rogue destined to save the
> world from a much more powerful warforged juggernaut. They're being
> pursued by a Sheen.

> At campaign end he becomes governer or something.

LOL!

- Ron ^*^
Anonymous
July 5, 2005 4:48:33 AM

Oh no...

Bender is a warforged Drunken Master!!!

Blath
Anonymous
July 5, 2005 6:47:54 AM

On Mon, 4 Jul 2005 20:42:36 +0100, "Mark Blunden"
<m.blundenATntlworld.com@address.invalid> scribed into the ether:

>Matt Frisch wrote:
>> On Mon, 04 Jul 2005 04:17:20 -0400, Werebat <ranpoirier@cox.net>
>> scribed into the ether:
>>

>>> What do you think of these?
>>>
>>> 1. CN or CE Warforged Rogue named Bender. Works on an airship owned
>>> by a crackpot Artificer, along with a dumb human commoner from the
>>> past and a female mutant human fighter.
>>
>> CE. Are warforged even capable of consuming alchohol?
>
>Yes, just not of deriving benefits (or drawbacks) from it.

But Bender dervies his power from it, without alcohol, he becomes a
rusted-out wreck.

>> How do you model the ability to store things in his chest without
>> overpowering him?
>
>Non-removable portable hole with a lid.

That's not too bad.
Anonymous
July 5, 2005 7:52:54 AM

Mere moments before death, Werebat hastily scrawled:

>Ed Chauvin IV wrote:
>
>> Mere moments before death, Silveraxe hastily scrawled:

>>>Too obvious.
>>

>> Yeah, I got it at "Mincing".
>
>It's hard NOT to be obvious with him.
>
>Still... If you placed your bet at "Mincing", you might have lost if
>I'd been talking about Cheop.

Uh... You mean that pyramid guy?

Ed Chauvin IV

modifier G @ 11.

--Terry Austin
Anonymous
July 5, 2005 4:55:03 PM

Werebat <ranpoirier@cox.net> wrote:

>What do you think of these?
>
>1. CN or CE Warforged Rogue named Bender. Works on an airship owned by
>a crackpot Artificer, along with a dumb human commoner from the past and
>a female mutant human fighter.
>
>2. (More Obscure) Huge Warforged Titan named Bil. Wears a tie. Has a
>smaller "third arm" to hold his teddy bear with. Also has a lever on
>his back with two settings: "Good" and "Evil". His alignment changes
>when the lever is pulled up or down. Doesn't speak much, just booms out
>"MEEEEEE BIL!" when he feels the need to express himself. Also appears
>to simultaneously rage and gain monk unarmed fighting abilities when
>taunted with the destruction of his teddy bear by a birdlike "Clockword
>Beast" apparently manned by kenku.
>
>Any other ideas?
>
> - Ron ^*^
> An Artificer who was able to transfer his essence to a crude memory device
>now lives in the City of Sharn. The device is worn by one of the Artificers
>warforged creations as a necklace.
Anonymous
July 5, 2005 4:55:04 PM

Phenyx wrote:
> Werebat <ranpoirier@cox.net> wrote:
>
>>What do you think of these?
>>
>>1. CN or CE Warforged Rogue named Bender. Works on an airship owned by
>>a crackpot Artificer, along with a dumb human commoner from the past and
>>a female mutant human fighter.
>>
>>2. (More Obscure) Huge Warforged Titan named Bil. Wears a tie. Has a
>>smaller "third arm" to hold his teddy bear with. Also has a lever on
>>his back with two settings: "Good" and "Evil". His alignment changes
>>when the lever is pulled up or down. Doesn't speak much, just booms out
>>"MEEEEEE BIL!" when he feels the need to express himself. Also appears
>>to simultaneously rage and gain monk unarmed fighting abilities when
>>taunted with the destruction of his teddy bear by a birdlike "Clockword
>>Beast" apparently manned by kenku.
>>
>>Any other ideas?
>>
>> - Ron ^*^
>>An Artificer who was able to transfer his essence to a crude memory device
>>now lives in the City of Sharn. The device is worn by one of the Artificers
>>warforged creations as a necklace.

BEEBEEDEEBEEDEEBEE!

- Ron ^*^
Anonymous
July 5, 2005 5:52:15 PM

Has anyone suggested a Warforged with maxed out Spot and Listen, and a
perspex head?

"Warning! Warning!".

--
Kevin Lowe,
Tasmania.

A pair of warforged trapped in a floating prison miles above the ground,
having been created there by a human artificer who is also imprisoned
with them. The artificer was trapped by a pair of other artificers who
force him and his warforged friends to engage in invention exchanges
every week, and to watch bad illusionary portrayals of stories in a
viewing theatre.

- Ron ^*^
Anonymous
July 5, 2005 9:02:03 PM

>1. CN or CE Warforged Rogue named Bender. Works on an airship owned by
>a crackpot Artificer, along with a dumb human commoner from the past and
>a female mutant human fighter.

At one point, I had actually made an ECL 20 version of Warforged
Bender with all sorts of crazy beer drinking Feats. Then sanity
kicked in and I deleted it to save myself from the pain.

Jester
Anonymous
July 6, 2005 12:19:44 AM

In article <me-2F8A12.23451705072005@news01.comindico.com.au>,
Kevin Lowe <me@private.net> wrote:
>Has anyone suggested a Warforged with maxed out Spot and Listen, and a
>perspex head?
>
>"Warning! Warning!".

Then there's his more serious elder cousin, with sky-high Str and Int, and a
gazillion Craft and Knowledge skills.
July 6, 2005 1:36:25 AM

On Tue, 05 Jul 2005 16:44:53 -0400, Werebat <ranpoirier@cox.net> scribed
into the ether:

>A pair of warforged trapped in a floating prison miles above the ground,
>having been created there by a human artificer who is also imprisoned
>with them. The artificer was trapped by a pair of other artificers who
>force him and his warforged friends to engage in invention exchanges
>every week, and to watch bad illusionary portrayals of stories in a
>viewing theatre.

They'd be multiclassed Janitor/Artificers...but really, Mike is just a
Janitor, since he did not build the warforged.

How about: A warforged fighter/rogue/astral walker who can use Improved
Invisibility at will an unlimited number of times per day, but only while
naked. This warforged later merges its mind with an entity from the astral
plane to create a new life form.
Anonymous
July 6, 2005 1:36:26 AM

Matt Frisch wrote:

> On Tue, 05 Jul 2005 16:44:53 -0400, Werebat <ranpoirier@cox.net> scribed
> into the ether:
>

>>A pair of warforged trapped in a floating prison miles above the ground,
>>having been created there by a human artificer who is also imprisoned
>>with them. The artificer was trapped by a pair of other artificers who
>>force him and his warforged friends to engage in invention exchanges
>>every week, and to watch bad illusionary portrayals of stories in a
>>viewing theatre.
>

> They'd be multiclassed Janitor/Artificers...but really, Mike is just a
> Janitor, since he did not build the warforged.

True -- I was thinking of Joel. Although Mike did *try* to build a 'bot
once...

The Mads (or Mad, depending on the season) would be full Artificers.

> How about: A warforged fighter/rogue/astral walker who can use Improved
> Invisibility at will an unlimited number of times per day, but only while
> naked. This warforged later merges its mind with an entity from the astral
> plane to create a new life form.

Eh, lost me there.

- Ron ^*^
Anonymous
July 6, 2005 8:34:56 AM

On Tue, 05 Jul 2005 18:19:13 -0400, Werebat <ranpoirier@cox.net> scribed
into the ether:

>Matt Frisch wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 05 Jul 2005 16:44:53 -0400, Werebat <ranpoirier@cox.net> scribed
>> into the ether:

>> How about: A warforged fighter/rogue/astral walker who can use Improved
>> Invisibility at will an unlimited number of times per day, but only while
>> naked. This warforged later merges its mind with an entity from the astral
>> plane to create a new life form.
>
>Eh, lost me there.

GitS
Anonymous
July 6, 2005 8:34:57 AM

Matt Frisch wrote:

> On Tue, 05 Jul 2005 18:19:13 -0400, Werebat <ranpoirier@cox.net> scribed
> into the ether:
>

>>Matt Frisch wrote:
>>

>>>On Tue, 05 Jul 2005 16:44:53 -0400, Werebat <ranpoirier@cox.net> scribed
>>>into the ether:
>

>>>How about: A warforged fighter/rogue/astral walker who can use Improved
>>>Invisibility at will an unlimited number of times per day, but only while
>>>naked. This warforged later merges its mind with an entity from the astral
>>>plane to create a new life form.
>>
>>Eh, lost me there.
>

> GitS

Ghost in the Shell?

I think I saw that, years ago... Trying to remember. One of the bounty
hunter androids liked to scuba dive?

- Ron ^*^
Anonymous
July 6, 2005 1:06:05 PM

Matt Frisch <matuse73@yahoo.spam.me.not.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 05 Jul 2005 18:19:13 -0400, Werebat <ranpoirier@cox.net> scribed
> into the ether:
>>Matt Frisch wrote:
>>
>>> How about: A warforged fighter/rogue/astral walker who can use Improved
>>> Invisibility at will an unlimited number of times per day, but only while
>>> naked. This warforged later merges its mind with an entity from the astral
>>> plane to create a new life form.
>>
>>Eh, lost me there.
>
> GitS

She's not naked. Section 9 uses thermoptic camoflauge -- cloaks or
the like. You see them pulling hoods up (shades of Sheila!), or while
wearing combat gear (Stand Alone Complex).

Kusanagi just likes running around with, um, minimal encumberance, it
seems. There's nothing about thermoptics that *require* nudity.

Keith
July 6, 2005 1:07:53 PM

Werebat <ranpoirier@cox.net> wrote:
> Matt Frisch wrote:
>> On Tue, 05 Jul 2005 18:19:13 -0400, Werebat <ranpoirier@cox.net> scribed
>> into the ether:
>>>Matt Frisch wrote:
>>
>> GitS
>
> Ghost in the Shell?
>
> I think I saw that, years ago... Trying to remember. One of the
> bounty hunter androids liked to scuba dive?

Section 9 -- 'Special Forces', of a type (used for counterespionage,
assassination, etc.); this changed in Stand Alone Complex to be kind of
like an 'RSWAT' (*Really* Special Weapons and Tactics).

And yes, Kusanagi was very unusual in that she enjoyed scuba diving.

Keith
July 7, 2005 12:38:13 AM

a warforged fighter with long ears who adventures with a female human
fighter. half of the utopian socirty they live in consists of
warforged, though the vast majority of them appear human, and is
centrally controlled by an illithid elder brain.

--
\^\ // drow@bin.sh (CARRIER LOST) <http://www.bin.sh/&gt;
\ // - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

drow wrote:
> a warforged fighter with long ears who adventures with a female human
> fighter. half of the utopian socirty they live in consists of
> warforged, though the vast majority of them appear human, and is
> centrally controlled by an illithid elder brain.

appleseed?
July 7, 2005 1:54:42 AM

a pretty young warforged is salvaged and rebuilt in the slums beneath a
magical floating city. she later turns out to have, like, 20 levels of
fighter, and goes on a long adventure of self-discovery and rollerball.

--
\^\ // drow@bin.sh (CARRIER LOST) <http://www.bin.sh/&gt;
\ // - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
// \ X-Windows: The defacto sub-standard.
// \_\ -- Dude from DPAK
July 7, 2005 2:00:26 AM

Alien mind control rays made drow <drow@bin.sh> write:
> a pretty young warforged is salvaged and rebuilt in the slums beneath a
> magical floating city. she later turns out to have, like, 20 levels of
> fighter, and goes on a long adventure of self-discovery and rollerball.

as an aside, IMC desty nova is a white dragon chaositech artificer
who has tangled with the party a couple of times.

--
\^\ // drow@bin.sh (CARRIER LOST) <http://www.bin.sh/&gt;
\ // - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
// \ X-Windows: The defacto sub-standard.
// \_\ -- Dude from DPAK
Anonymous
July 7, 2005 4:22:32 AM

NG warforged, practically indistinguishable from human. He is magically
constrained to faithfully serve the greatest good for the greatest
number, and has access to divinatory information which predicts with
significant accuracy the effects of social changes. A secret society of
scholars works constantly to maintain these predictions, using them to
focus their own efforts on covertly helping humanity. They are unaware
of the warforged's existence, but he keeps tabs on their work and uses
it in his own planning.

A further magical constraint is that he must remain pacifist except as
required to serve the greatest good. He also is compelled to obey orders
from any natural human unless able to demonstrate they contradict his
service or his pacifism.

--
Rob
Anonymous

drow <drow@bin.sh> wrote:
> a pretty young warforged is salvaged and rebuilt in the slums beneath a
> magical floating city. she later turns out to have, like, 20 levels of
> fighter, and goes on a long adventure of self-discovery and rollerball.

Monk, don't you mean? I don't recall seeing her use weapons, at least.

Keith
July 7, 2005 5:39:04 AM

On Thu, 07 Jul 2005 00:22:32 GMT, "Robert Bunn" <adalger@twcny.rr.com>
dared speak in front of ME:

>NG warforged, practically indistinguishable from human. He is magically
>constrained to faithfully serve the greatest good for the greatest
>number, and has access to divinatory information which predicts with
>significant accuracy the effects of social changes. A secret society of
>scholars works constantly to maintain these predictions, using them to
>focus their own efforts on covertly helping humanity. They are unaware
>of the warforged's existence, but he keeps tabs on their work and uses
>it in his own planning.

Foundation, or Prelude to Foundation?

--
Address no longer works.
try removing all numbers from

July 7, 2005 6:21:26 AM

Robert Bunn wrote:
> NG warforged, practically indistinguishable from human. He is magically
> constrained to faithfully serve the greatest good for the greatest
> number, and has access to divinatory information which predicts with
> significant accuracy the effects of social changes. A secret society of
> scholars works constantly to maintain these predictions, using them to
> focus their own efforts on covertly helping humanity. They are unaware
> of the warforged's existence, but he keeps tabs on their work and uses
> it in his own planning.
>
> A further magical constraint is that he must remain pacifist except as
> required to serve the greatest good. He also is compelled to obey orders
> from any natural human unless able to demonstrate they contradict his
> service or his pacifism.

Asimov - Foundation

could also be...

Ozymandius. Garden City, N.Y.: Doubleday, 1981. Sequel to
Guardian. written by: Monteleone, Thomas F. [pseud. of David
Bischoff].

"In a setting twenty years later than Guardian, the computer
acquires a superhuman body, begets a son, and is welcomed as a
messianic figure destined to lead a new, worldwide holy war.
Appalled at the prospect, he commits suicide, but the boy lives on. "

Re,
Dirk
Anonymous
July 7, 2005 8:05:45 AM

On Wed, 06 Jul 2005 09:06:05 GMT, Keith Davies <keith.davies@kjdavies.org>
scribed into the ether:

>Matt Frisch <matuse73@yahoo.spam.me.not.com> wrote:
>> On Tue, 05 Jul 2005 18:19:13 -0400, Werebat <ranpoirier@cox.net> scribed
>> into the ether:

>>>Eh, lost me there.
>>
>> GitS
>
>She's not naked. Section 9 uses thermoptic camoflauge -- cloaks or
>the like. You see them pulling hoods up (shades of Sheila!), or while
>wearing combat gear (Stand Alone Complex).

Stand Alone Complex was made for a television audience. Nudity, language,
and violence were all tuned WAY down.

>Kusanagi just likes running around with, um, minimal encumberance, it
>seems. There's nothing about thermoptics that *require* nudity.

Watch the movie sometime.
Anonymous
July 7, 2005 9:02:06 AM

Matt Frisch <matuse73@yahoo.spam.me.not.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 06 Jul 2005 09:06:05 GMT, Keith Davies <keith.davies@kjdavies.org>
> scribed into the ether:
>
>>Matt Frisch <matuse73@yahoo.spam.me.not.com> wrote:
>>> On Tue, 05 Jul 2005 18:19:13 -0400, Werebat <ranpoirier@cox.net> scribed
>>> into the ether:

>>> GitS
>>
>>She's not naked. Section 9 uses thermoptic camoflauge -- cloaks or
>>the like. You see them pulling hoods up (shades of Sheila!), or while
>>wearing combat gear (Stand Alone Complex).
>
> Stand Alone Complex was made for a television audience. Nudity, language,
> and violence were all tuned WAY down.
>
>>Kusanagi just likes running around with, um, minimal encumberance, it
>>seems. There's nothing about thermoptics that *require* nudity.
>
> Watch the movie sometime.

I've seen both movies. And read the manga (in which she does in fact
wear clothes under thermoptic camoflage at least once).

Kusanagi typically wears skimpy clothes. Nudity is not required for
thermoptic camoflage. I think Kusanagi just prefers to not be
encumbered if she can avoid it.

C'mon, they applied to to a *tank*. If they can hide *that*, hiding
that you're not actually naked can't be that hard.

Keith
July 7, 2005 9:03:12 AM

Alien mind control rays made Keith Davies <keith.davies@kjdavies.org> write:
> drow <drow@bin.sh> wrote:
>> a pretty young warforged is salvaged and rebuilt in the slums beneath a
>> magical floating city. she later turns out to have, like, 20 levels of
>> fighter, and goes on a long adventure of self-discovery and rollerball.
>
> Monk, don't you mean? I don't recall seeing her use weapons, at least.

she uses scads of them further on in the manga. huge knives, guns,
exploding missile bees from tiphares, you name it.

--
\^\ // drow@bin.sh (CARRIER LOST) <http://www.bin.sh/&gt;
\ // - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
// \ X-Windows: A mistake carried out to perfection.
// \_\ -- Dude from DPAK
Anonymous
July 7, 2005 11:42:50 AM

drow <drow@bin.sh> wrote:
> Alien mind control rays made Keith Davies <keith.davies@kjdavies.org> write:
>> drow <drow@bin.sh> wrote:
>>> a pretty young warforged is salvaged and rebuilt in the slums beneath a
>>> magical floating city. she later turns out to have, like, 20 levels of
>>> fighter, and goes on a long adventure of self-discovery and rollerball.
>>
>> Monk, don't you mean? I don't recall seeing her use weapons, at least.
>
> she uses scads of them further on in the manga. huge knives, guns,
> exploding missile bees from tiphares, you name it.

Ah, okay. I've only seen the anime, not the manga.

Keith
July 7, 2005 12:04:46 PM

Keith Davies <keith.davies@kjdavies.org> wrote:
> Matt Frisch <matuse73@yahoo.spam.me.not.com> wrote:
>> On Wed, 06 Jul 2005 09:06:05 GMT, Keith Davies <keith.davies@kjdavies.org>
>> scribed into the ether:

>>>She's not naked. Section 9 uses thermoptic camoflauge -- cloaks or
>>>the like. You see them pulling hoods up (shades of Sheila!), or while
>>>wearing combat gear (Stand Alone Complex).
>>
>> Stand Alone Complex was made for a television audience. Nudity, language,
>> and violence were all tuned WAY down.
>>
>>>Kusanagi just likes running around with, um, minimal encumberance, it
>>>seems. There's nothing about thermoptics that *require* nudity.
>>
>> Watch the movie sometime.
>
> I've seen both movies. And read the manga (in which she does in fact
> wear clothes under thermoptic camoflage at least once).
>
> Kusanagi typically wears skimpy clothes. Nudity is not required for
> thermoptic camoflage. I think Kusanagi just prefers to not be
> encumbered if she can avoid it.

I just realized a solution that satisfies both theses about thermoptics.

They *don't* require nudity (which I suspect is hard to achieve when
your body is covered in synthetic skin *anyway*). However, as borged up
as Makoto is, *she's got thermoptic camoflage built into her skin*.

Thus, she's always got it available, but it's 'inside her clothes', so
she loses them. There are other ways to use thermoptics that can go
'over clothes' (we've seen in this SAC), but with all the other mods
she's got, one more is no big deal.

Keith
July 7, 2005 2:58:58 PM

Six self assembled warforged, who roam the island in pursuit of upgrades.

--
Michael
NPC rights activist | Nameless Abominations are people too.

"Robert Bunn" <adalger@twcny.rr.com> wrote:
>NG warforged, practically indistinguishable from human. He is magically
>constrained to faithfully serve the greatest good for the greatest
>number, and has access to divinatory information which predicts with
>significant accuracy the effects of social changes. A secret society of
>scholars works constantly to maintain these predictions, using them to
>focus their own efforts on covertly helping humanity. They are unaware
>of the warforged's existence, but he keeps tabs on their work and uses
>it in his own planning.
>
>A further magical constraint is that he must remain pacifist except as
>required to serve the greatest good. He also is compelled to obey orders
>from any natural human unless able to demonstrate they contradict his
>service or his pacifism.
>
>--
>Rob
>
>I just finished playing an android named Daneel in a D&D campaign. His LA
>proved to be too much and I had to scrap him. Pun intended
Anonymous
July 7, 2005 4:50:39 PM

"Robert Bunn" <adalger@twcny.rr.com> wrote:
>NG warforged, practically indistinguishable from human. He is magically
>constrained to faithfully serve the greatest good for the greatest
>number, and has access to divinatory information which predicts with
>significant accuracy the effects of social changes. A secret society of
>scholars works constantly to maintain these predictions, using them to
>focus their own efforts on covertly helping humanity. They are unaware
>of the warforged's existence, but he keeps tabs on their work and uses
>it in his own planning.
>
>A further magical constraint is that he must remain pacifist except as
>required to serve the greatest good. He also is compelled to obey orders
>from any natural human unless able to demonstrate they contradict his
>service or his pacifism.
>
>--
>Rob
>
>I just finished playing an android named Daneel in a D&D campaign. His LA
>proved to be too much and I had to scrap him. Pun intended
Anonymous
July 7, 2005 5:26:31 PM

Werebat <ranpoirier@cox.net> wrote:

>What do you think of these?
>
>1. CN or CE Warforged Rogue named Bender. Works on an airship owned by
>a crackpot Artificer, along with a dumb human commoner from the past and
>a female mutant human fighter.
>
>2. (More Obscure) Huge Warforged Titan named Bil. Wears a tie. Has a
>smaller "third arm" to hold his teddy bear with. Also has a lever on
>his back with two settings: "Good" and "Evil". His alignment changes
>when the lever is pulled up or down. Doesn't speak much, just booms out
>"MEEEEEE BIL!" when he feels the need to express himself. Also appears
>to simultaneously rage and gain monk unarmed fighting abilities when
>taunted with the destruction of his teddy bear by a birdlike "Clockword
>Beast" apparently manned by kenku.
>
>Any other ideas?
>
> - Ron ^*^

Articifer decides to see if he can combine humans and Warforged. After the
tragic death of a guardsman, the Artificer combines him with a Warforged and he
uplholds the law of Sharn.
Anonymous
July 7, 2005 5:27:46 PM

Phenyx wrote:

> "Robert Bunn" <adalger@twcny.rr.com> wrote:
>
>>NG warforged, practically indistinguishable from human. He is magically
>>constrained to faithfully serve the greatest good for the greatest
>>number, and has access to divinatory information which predicts with
>>significant accuracy the effects of social changes. A secret society of
>>scholars works constantly to maintain these predictions, using them to
>>focus their own efforts on covertly helping humanity. They are unaware
>>of the warforged's existence, but he keeps tabs on their work and uses
>>it in his own planning.
>>
>>A further magical constraint is that he must remain pacifist except as
>>required to serve the greatest good. He also is compelled to obey orders
>
>>from any natural human unless able to demonstrate they contradict his
>
>>service or his pacifism.
>>
>>--
>>Rob
>>
>>I just finished playing an android named Daneel in a D&D campaign. His LA
>>proved to be too much and I had to scrap him. Pun intended

Note to the group: Phenyx's character was an android monk with an LA of
+3. His android race was mostly derived from the androids in Darwin's
World.

- Ron ^*^
Anonymous
July 7, 2005 8:36:40 PM

In article <slrndcpogt.v3e.keith.davies@kjdavies.org>,
keith.davies@kjdavies.org says...

> I just realized a solution that satisfies both theses about thermoptics.
>
> They *don't* require nudity (which I suspect is hard to achieve when
> your body is covered in synthetic skin *anyway*). However, as borged up
> as Makoto is, *she's got thermoptic camoflage built into her skin*.

I always thought that was what the movie (I haven't seen SAC beyond an
episode or two) was trying to show.

--
Jasin Zujovic
jzujovic@inet.hr

Jasin Zujovic <jzujovic@inet.hr> wrote:
> In article <slrndcpogt.v3e.keith.davies@kjdavies.org>,
> keith.davies@kjdavies.org says...
>
>> I just realized a solution that satisfies both theses about thermoptics.
>>
>> They *don't* require nudity (which I suspect is hard to achieve when
>> your body is covered in synthetic skin *anyway*). However, as borged up
>> as Makoto is, *she's got thermoptic camoflage built into her skin*.
>
> I always thought that was what the movie (I haven't seen SAC beyond an
> episode or two) was trying to show.

I hadn't thought about it, that Makoto had it built-in.

Early in GitS, IIRC the guy providing the hacking tools to the garbage
man, *he* was wearing thermoptic camoflage. It was a lot like a poncho,
IIRC -- a baggy garment that he wore over his other clothes.

So: nudity is not required for thermoptics.

However, since Makoto probably has it built-in, *she* skins down because
the camoflage only covers, it's not a field.

Keith