Opinions of Dell 8600 Inspiron or D600 or D505

Mike

Splendid

We're looking for a notebook that'll be used on a wireless home network
primarily for web browsing, writing and possibly
listening to music. Needed features Bluetooth, USB ports, good video, peppy
for a notebook (no serious gaming) We're looking at
Dell Inspiron 8600, D600 and D505. Like to hear from users of these
notebooks for pro/con comments and recommendations.

Thanks,

Mike

If you want midrange or higher video, the only system to consider is the
8600. You should realize that the integrated video n the D5xx is not
upgradeable - and while the ATI 9000 on the D600 is a little better, it's
also integrated onto the system board and likewise, not upgradeable. The
video on the 8600 is removeable and upgradeable (at a tradeoff of larger
size and weight).

"Mike" <wxyz09@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> We're looking for a notebook that'll be used on a wireless home network
> primarily for web browsing, writing and possibly
> listening to music. Needed features Bluetooth, USB ports, good video,
> peppy for a notebook (no serious gaming) We're looking at
> Dell Inspiron 8600, D600 and D505. Like to hear from users of these
> notebooks for pro/con comments and recommendations.

Mike

Splendid

Do all three have Bluetooth?

Mike

"Edward J. Neth" <ejn63@netscape.net> wrote in message
> If you want midrange or higher video, the only system to consider is the
> 8600. You should realize that the integrated video n the D5xx is not
> upgradeable - and while the ATI 9000 on the D600 is a little better, it's
> also integrated onto the system board and likewise, not upgradeable. The
> video on the 8600 is removeable and upgradeable (at a tradeoff of larger
> size and weight).
>

> "Mike" <wxyz09@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> We're looking for a notebook that'll be used on a wireless home network
>> primarily for web browsing, writing and possibly
>> listening to music. Needed features Bluetooth, USB ports, good video,
>> peppy for a notebook (no serious gaming) We're looking at
>> Dell Inspiron 8600, D600 and D505. Like to hear from users of these
>> notebooks for pro/con comments and recommendations.

You can order Bluetooth with the 8600.

Banty (posting from her new Bluetooth-equipped Dell 8600)

In article <KN4jd.758$Fu1.652@trnddc03>, Mike says...

>Do all three have Bluetooth?
>
>Mike
>
>"Edward J. Neth" <ejn63@netscape.net> wrote in message
>> If you want midrange or higher video, the only system to consider is the
>> 8600. You should realize that the integrated video n the D5xx is not
>> upgradeable - and while the ATI 9000 on the D600 is a little better, it's
>> also integrated onto the system board and likewise, not upgradeable. The
>> video on the 8600 is removeable and upgradeable (at a tradeoff of larger
>> size and weight).
>>

>> "Mike" <wxyz09@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>> We're looking for a notebook that'll be used on a wireless home network
>>> primarily for web browsing, writing and possibly
>>> listening to music. Needed features Bluetooth, USB ports, good video,
>>> peppy for a notebook (no serious gaming) We're looking at
>>> Dell Inspiron 8600, D600 and D505. Like to hear from users of these
>>> notebooks for pro/con comments and recommendations.

It is an option on the D600 and probably the 505 as well. The D600 and
8600/D800 use the same chassis parts (Dell D-series).

"Banty" <Banty_member@newsguy.com> wrote in message
> You can order Bluetooth with the 8600.
>
> Banty (posting from her new Bluetooth-equipped Dell 8600)
>
> In article <KN4jd.758$Fu1.652@trnddc03>, Mike says...
>>
>>Do all three have Bluetooth?
>>
>>Mike
>>
>>"Edward J. Neth" <ejn63@netscape.net> wrote in message
>>> If you want midrange or higher video, the only system to consider is the
>>> 8600. You should realize that the integrated video n the D5xx is not
>>> upgradeable - and while the ATI 9000 on the D600 is a little better,
>>> it's
>>> also integrated onto the system board and likewise, not upgradeable.
>>> The
>>> video on the 8600 is removeable and upgradeable (at a tradeoff of larger
>>> size and weight).
>>>

>>> "Mike" <wxyz09@yahoo.com> wrote in message

Mike

Splendid

Thanks. LAst night I read some online reviews on the 8600 and D600 The
only real drawback I can identify is weight for 8600.
A friend has a D600 and liked it; a woman I work with has a D800 and really
likes it for use at home, too heavy for her to lug around.
At this point, I'm leaning toward thr 8600, though the weight still bothers
me some.

Be intersted in negative attributes for thr 8600 and D600 - make it easier
for me to decide.

> It is an option on the D600 and probably the 505 as well. The D600 and
> 8600/D800 use the same chassis parts (Dell D-series).
>

> "Banty" <Banty_member@newsguy.com> wrote in message
>> You can order Bluetooth with the 8600.
>>
>> Banty (posting from her new Bluetooth-equipped Dell 8600)
>>
>> In article <KN4jd.758$Fu1.652@trnddc03>, Mike says...
>>>
>>>Do all three have Bluetooth?
>>>
>>>Mike
>>>
>>>"Edward J. Neth" <ejn63@netscape.net> wrote in message

Scott

I have the Dell 8600 and find the keyboard being VERY POOR in quality.
I have checked out many keyboards and the 8600 has got to have the
WORST keyboard of any notebook I have tested. The Dell Lattitude models
have much better keyboards.

If you plan to use the Dell 8600 with its built-in keyboard, you are
going to be disappointed by the poor keyboard quality. It is just
absolutely poor quality and terrible to use. You end up making mistakes
all the time because the keys are way too smooth and the construction
is like a cheap foldable keyboard (the ones for PDAs). Very very hard
to use. It feels like you are typing on the surface of a chalkboard.
Try typing "@" while typing an email address and you'll get an idea of
fingers slipping all over the SHIFT when typing this.

Other than the keyboard, I am pretty happy with everything else. But
the keyboard issue is a MAJOR issue and I would recommend you check out
other notebooks because of this. Or look at another model such as the
Lattitudes.

I agree with you Scott about the quality of the 8600 keyboard. My 8600 is
only 2 months old and keys began to come loose. To Dell's credit they
replaced the keyboard in a very timely manner, but I'm still not thrilled
with the quality of the 8600 keyboard.

Mike