SONY CLIE PEG UX-50 -- What do you think of it?

May 16, 2005 9:12:06 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.os.palm,comp.sys.palmtops,alt.comp.sys.palmtops.pilot,comp.sys.palmtops.pilot (More info?)

Anyone have this?

SONY CLIE PEG UX-50

-- What do you think of it?

> Posted thru AtlantisNews - Explore EVERY Newsgroup <
> http://www.AtlantisNews.com -- Lightning Fast!!! <
> Access the Most Content * No Limits * Best Service <

More about : sony clie peg

Anonymous
May 17, 2005 12:36:38 AM

Lokie wrote:
> Anyone have this?
>
> SONY CLIE PEG UX-50

yup!

> -- What do you think of it?

Great!
Anonymous
May 31, 2005 10:15:36 PM

Lokie wrote:
> Anyone have this?
>
> SONY CLIE PEG UX-50
>
> -- What do you think of it?

I don't have it,

but i hear about that is a very good model, I very good software package
and so

but...

the problem is that clie are not produced anymore. Clie gave up of pda
market.

Sony Clie support was terrible before that, imagine now.

Are you talking about a used one? Get it if it is cheap. take careful
that normally these clie devices need to replace the battery after
certain time of use... you will be in trouble to find one good battery
for you specific model and you will be in trouble to replace it by your
self.

Franco - Become a PalmOS Beta Tester:
http://www.micromagiclabs.com/beta.html
Visit our PalmOS forums at: http://forums.micromagiclabs.com
June 2, 2005 12:09:38 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.os.palm,comp.sys.palmtops,alt.comp.sys.palmtops.pilot,comp.sys.palmtops.pilot (More info?)

Bought it, receive it, and sold it on the same day: the screen, while
having the same resolution as the T3, is so small I can bearly read it.

Another major drawback: no (built-in) rotation between landscape and
portrait!

Other than that: a bit slower than my T3, but the built-in WiFi is so
sexy, and the camera is nice to have.

Then again, I would have needed to buy "the missing link" to sync it to
my Mac, while the Palms come with all software needed.

All in all, I'd rather not...
Anonymous
June 2, 2005 12:32:42 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.palmtops,alt.comp.sys.palmtops.pilot,comp.sys.palmtops.pilot (More info?)

Lokie wrote:
> Anyone have this?
>
> SONY CLIE PEG UX-50
>
> -- What do you think of it?

After having used a PEG-UX50 for 4 months, these are my findings. YMMV

- The screen is not very bright. You will have difficulty using it
outside on a clear and sunny day.
- Bluetooth is not compatible with most mobile phones, but works with
Bluetooth access points and BT enabled PC's. I have used it for hotsync
and network hotsync.
- WLan B works on the slower 11Mbit speed. The included netfront
browser does a good job at rendering web pages. Some, like the ones of
the Zurich Airport it can't handle (http://www.flughafen-zuerich.ch).
The included Clie mail is also pretty good. It will also allow you to
open jpeg and other file formats.
- In order to save Batteries, you will want to disable WLAN/BT when
not in use. The UX 50 only allows one or the other to be enabled at
once, and you have to go into the preferences to disable it. Bluefang
can automatically turn BT on or off when you start or leave a user
selectable application.
- The camera is of very low quality.
- I have not been able to detect any shortcomings on the audio
playback. The Clie can be put in a "hold" mode that consumes less power.
Sound recording for conversations works pretty well.
- I have found that the Clie is less stable than the older Palms I
had used before (IIIxe). For example Beaming a contact won't work from
time to time. It requires a soft reset to restore IR functionality.
- What I personally like most, is the QWERTY keyboard. I ocasionally
use my wife's palm, and miss the feature every time. The scroll button
on the front is also very neat.

As mentioned elsewhere Sony has exited the Palm market. I once had an
issue with the Clie. It would not power on. It was not possible to do a
reset, or a hard reset or charge the batteries. I called the Sony
helpdesk in Europe, and they declined to offer support for it, arguing
that this was a Japanese unit (which it is not). Fortunately for me, the
unit must have consumed all the battery power after 5 days, after which
I could charge it again and bring it back to life.

The main reason why I chose to buy the Clie UX50 was because of the
wireless Lan capability. I am reluctant to move over to the LifeDrive,
because it does not have a keyboard.
Anonymous
June 2, 2005 10:07:07 PM

Daniel Bacher <reply_in@newsgroup.only> wrote:
> After having used a PEG-UX50 for 4 months, these are my findings. YMMV
>
> - Bluetooth is not compatible with most mobile phones, but works
> with Bluetooth access points and BT enabled PC's. I have used it for
> hotsync and network hotsync.

There's an update that helps with that, in addition to a Mobile
Connection Wizard that you run on the PC that helps you set up one or
more profiles.

> - WLan B works on the slower 11Mbit speed.

That's not all that much of a problem, considering that you'll either
have small transfers to/from RAM, or large transfers to/from a
MemoryStick, which will be rather limited by the MS writing speed
anyhow.

More of a problem is that there's no WPA support, so you have to leave
your network open (or use WEP, which is about as useful as writing a
note stating "the doors are locked" and sticking it on your car).

> - In order to save Batteries, you will want to disable WLAN/BT when
> not in use. The UX 50 only allows one or the other to be enabled at
> once, and you have to go into the preferences to disable it. Bluefang
> can automatically turn BT on or off when you start or leave a user
> selectable application.

I've found that BtToggle does a much better job at it. I tried both,
but paid for and kept using BtToggle. YMMV.

> - I have not been able to detect any shortcomings on the audio
> playback. The Clie can be put in a "hold" mode that consumes less
> power. Sound recording for conversations works pretty well.

It can't play MP3pro files. Also, if transferring files through WiFi to
the device (or a card), there's an annoying quirk that you have to go
into the "Transfer" menu of the audioplayer and then start/stop a dummy
transfer before it will find the new files.

Also, ATRAC only works with the old WHITE non-pro memorysticks, which
are limited to 128 MB in size. This is a shame, since ATRAC gives
better quality than MP3 at the same file size.

> - What I personally like most, is the QWERTY keyboard. I
> ocasionally use my wife's palm, and miss the feature every time. The
> scroll button on the front is also very neat.

It's a common problem that the jog dial eventually stops working.
As for the keyboard, it lacks the vital | (vertical pipe) symbol, which
makes it much less useful for us that use it to connect to Unix boxes
where the | is a must.
There's also no CTRL/blue+key combination that gives you a "|". On the
other hand, it has two hyphens, which doesn't seem logical. Maybe the |
fell over.

Some people have a problem with a high-pitched whine from the screen of
the UX40/50, and others have a problem with the metal ring meant for
Japanese to fasten their colorful lanyards to (they do that to cell
phones too -- I think it's a cultural thing) -- it rusts.

Despite all this, it's a VERY nice device, and I'd only consider
replacing it with a Sharp Zaurus. Being able to configure a server
without getting out of bed is _nice_.

Also worth mentioning is PicselViewer, which displays office documents,
images and PDFs nicely rendered on zoomable pages. It takes up a LOT of
memory and isn't 100% stable, but it's *so* much better for viewing than
Acrobat Reader for PalmOS or DocumentsToGo.

Videos too are nice -- the screen is of course too small for reading
subtitled movies. But there's no stuttering or other problems, due to
the special video routines of the CPU Sony uses - it plays videos far
smoother than a much faster T3 or T5. Typically, movie files will take
up around 100 MB per hour after converting to "high quality" MQV format,
so an additional memory card is a must. You can also play some native
MPG movies (as long as they're not DivX or Xvid) by renaming them in a
special way and placing them in a special directory on a card, but it's
easier to convert the movies first.

Regards,
--
*Art
Anonymous

In article <1gxhui5.1wjqk2v13uv98uN%thomas.mey@tomjuggles.de>,
thomas.mey@tomjuggles.de (Thomas Mey) wrote:

> Bought it, receive it, and sold it on the same day: the screen, while
> having the same resolution as the T3, is so small I can bearly read it.
>
> Another major drawback: no (built-in) rotation between landscape and
> portrait!
>
> Other than that: a bit slower than my T3, but the built-in WiFi is so
> sexy, and the camera is nice to have.
>
> Then again, I would have needed to buy "the missing link" to sync it to
> my Mac, while the Palms come with all software needed.
>
> All in all, I'd rather not...

Does PALM DESKTOP work at all with Sony Clies?

> Posted thru AtlantisNews - Explore EVERY Newsgroup <
> http://www.AtlantisNews.com -- Lightning Fast!!! <
> Access the Most Content * No Limits * Best Service <
Anonymous
June 4, 2005 3:43:29 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.palmtops,alt.comp.sys.palmtops.pilot,comp.sys.palmtops.pilot (More info?)

In article <d7kv0b$38m$1@news.hispeed.ch>,
"Daniel Bacher" <reply_in@newsgroup.only> wrote:

> Lokie wrote:
> > Anyone have this?
> >
> > SONY CLIE PEG UX-50
> >
> > -- What do you think of it?
> >
> After having used a PEG-UX50 for 4 months, these are my findings. YMMV
>
> - The screen is not very bright. You will have difficulty using it
> outside on a clear and sunny day.
> - Bluetooth is not compatible with most mobile phones, but works with
> Bluetooth access points and BT enabled PC's. I have used it for hotsync
> and network hotsync.
> - WLan B works on the slower 11Mbit speed. The included netfront
> browser does a good job at rendering web pages. Some, like the ones of
> the Zurich Airport it can't handle (http://www.flughafen-zuerich.ch).
> The included Clie mail is also pretty good. It will also allow you to
> open jpeg and other file formats.
> - In order to save Batteries, you will want to disable WLAN/BT when
> not in use. The UX 50 only allows one or the other to be enabled at
> once, and you have to go into the preferences to disable it. Bluefang
> can automatically turn BT on or off when you start or leave a user
> selectable application.
> - The camera is of very low quality.
> - I have not been able to detect any shortcomings on the audio
> playback. The Clie can be put in a "hold" mode that consumes less power.
> Sound recording for conversations works pretty well.
> - I have found that the Clie is less stable than the older Palms I
> had used before (IIIxe). For example Beaming a contact won't work from
> time to time. It requires a soft reset to restore IR functionality.
> - What I personally like most, is the QWERTY keyboard. I ocasionally
> use my wife's palm, and miss the feature every time. The scroll button
> on the front is also very neat.
>
> As mentioned elsewhere Sony has exited the Palm market. I once had an
> issue with the Clie. It would not power on. It was not possible to do a
> reset, or a hard reset or charge the batteries. I called the Sony
> helpdesk in Europe, and they declined to offer support for it, arguing
> that this was a Japanese unit (which it is not). Fortunately for me, the
> unit must have consumed all the battery power after 5 days, after which
> I could charge it again and bring it back to life.
>
> The main reason why I chose to buy the Clie UX50 was because of the
> wireless Lan capability. I am reluctant to move over to the LifeDrive,
> because it does not have a keyboard.

So overall would you recommend it over other PALMS with keyboards??

> Posted thru AtlantisNews - Explore EVERY Newsgroup <
> http://www.AtlantisNews.com -- Lightning Fast!!! <
> Access the Most Content * No Limits * Best Service <
June 4, 2005 11:19:48 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.os.palm,comp.sys.palmtops,alt.comp.sys.palmtops.pilot,comp.sys.palmtops.pilot (More info?)

Per Lokie:
>Does PALM DESKTOP work at all with Sony Clies?

The Clie does need a driver, but my recollection is that Palm Desktop was 100%
portable - i.e. no need to re-install it from the Clie disk.
--
PeteCresswell
Anonymous

In article <none-BCEA59.11393904062005@news.AtlantisNews.com>,
Lokie <none@none.noe> wrote:

> In article <1gxhui5.1wjqk2v13uv98uN%thomas.mey@tomjuggles.de>,
> thomas.mey@tomjuggles.de (Thomas Mey) wrote:
>
> > Bought it, receive it, and sold it on the same day: the screen, while
> > having the same resolution as the T3, is so small I can bearly read it.
> >
> > Another major drawback: no (built-in) rotation between landscape and
> > portrait!
> >
> > Other than that: a bit slower than my T3, but the built-in WiFi is so
> > sexy, and the camera is nice to have.
> >
> > Then again, I would have needed to buy "the missing link" to sync it to
> > my Mac, while the Palms come with all software needed.
> >
> > All in all, I'd rather not...
>

> Does PALM DESKTOP work at all with Sony Clies?

Some Sony models worked out of the box on Macs with Palm Desktop (check
1src.com and you might be be able to find a posting that says which
models). There were some instructions over at 1src.com for making Palm
Desktop partially work with a few other models. But for the most part
you need Missing Sync from Markspace.com to fully use all the sync'ing
features on a Mac.

Bob Harris
Anonymous
June 5, 2005 3:53:57 PM

Lokie wrote:
> In article <d7kv0b$38m$1@news.hispeed.ch>,
> "Daniel Bacher" <reply_in@newsgroup.only> wrote:
>

>> - What I personally like most, is the QWERTY
>> keyboard. I ocasionally use my wife's palm, and miss the feature
>> every time. The scroll button on the front is also very neat.
>>
>> The main reason why I chose to buy the Clie UX50 was because of the
>> wireless Lan capability. I am reluctant to move over to the
>> LifeDrive, because it does not have a keyboard.
>>
> So overall would you recommend it over other PALMS with keyboards??

I haven't used other palms with keyboards, therefore I am not qualified
to make such a statement. I have found that the keyboard has changed my
behaivour. I am no longer using grafitti to enter text on the Clie. I
wish my next device has a keyboard.
!