Sign in with
Your question

Laptop capable of displaying HD movies through a projector

Last response: in Laptop Tech Support
September 18, 2011 8:28:00 PM

I am looking to buy a laptop that will be able to display HD movies through a projector. I need some help choosing a laptop as well as a projector. The laptop will be only used for that purpose only. Will not be using it for gaming or anything like that.

My budget is around £700-800 for both the projector and the laptop.

Would this laptop do the job? I am quite certain that it will be alright but just want to make sure that it's up to the task.

http://www.aria.co.uk/SuperSpecials/Other+products/MSI+...

I hope I have put this in the right category of the forum.
Thanks in advance for any help !! :]]
a c 572 D Laptop
September 19, 2011 3:04:01 AM

Hello AtusSephin;

For the laptop I think I like this £300 deal on a HP ProBook 4320s better than the MSI X600 you linked for £384.
m
l
a c 572 D Laptop
September 19, 2011 3:07:13 AM

For your projector needs - are you going to be working in a home theatre (dark room) or a business (dimly lit room) environment ?
m
l
Related resources
September 19, 2011 11:47:26 AM

The projector will be used in an environment where the lighting cannot be controlled, so it needs to be pretty bright. Thanks for your help.
m
l
September 19, 2011 11:49:25 AM

Also I have noticed that some projectors have a usb input port. Would it be possible to put a movie on a pen drive and play the movie from it ? That way I could spend the whole budget on the projector itself.
m
l
a c 572 D Laptop
September 20, 2011 2:06:19 PM

Or you could get a DVD or DVD/Blu-Ray component player.
You'd need to pay attention to the audio capability too, if you're looking for a good theatre type experience.

It's going to be a challenge to get good performance if you're unable to at least dim the lights. Most of the conference room type projectors better suited for lighted rooms are 4:3 aspect ratio (1024x768) and probably not an ideal match for most recent movies.
m
l
September 21, 2011 10:06:52 PM

Yeah, if all you want to do play a video off a disk or other digital medium just get a projector with alot of inputs (HMDI, Component, Composite,VGA, etc) and just get a player that has a matching output. Also as most modern Blu-Ray players support playing from external sources like a USB drive.

If you strictly want to use a usb drive on and no disc then look into a product like http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=E...
m
l
September 29, 2011 12:11:17 PM

are you sure that I will be able to play movies from a pen drive. I have a dvd player at home that has a usb port but i can only play movies form a portable harddrive , can't do it from a pen drive
m
l
September 29, 2011 10:27:57 PM

That's more likely due to the speed of your USB drive, which is likely a cheap one.
One advantage of the laptop will be RAM to cache the movie on the fly, but it will still stutter if the USB stick can't keep a good constant rate.

Look at the bit-rate of the endcoded movie and think about how fast that USB Flash Drive gets those bits across.

I all you're looking to do is get that DVD player to play, then get a flash drive that at least reads @ 10MB/s and you should be fine. That should cost you about $20 for 16GB [more space than a DVD], and be worth it anyways just transferring things (my 32GB USB 3.0 Corsair 130+MBs Read/40+ Write is great for moving big files and cost $40)
m
l
!