Pentium 4 2,4 overclocking

zyroth

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2002
Planning to buy a Pentium 4 2,4 with 400 bus cause of the overclocking possibilities. The thing i´m wondering about is if i will be able to hit 133*24 with it without using extreme watercooling etc. Currently i have a 650@866 (6.5*133)with my original fan and no problems at all. And technically
i think this is the same thing. Anyone who knows if this sounds reasonable? Planning to use a Asus P4T533-C board with Samsung PC1066 memory.

Pwent

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2002
Perhaps if 100* C is okay for your processor... 2.7ish is going to be your temp limit, unless you get a great chip. If you deck out some insane air cooling, it might get higher, but I assume you meant standard HSF and a good case fan or two.

<font color=black>Need Money!! Accepting Donations to help better my future. Thanks!</font color=black>

chuck232

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2002
No it will not. Unless you get a watercooling(that might not even pull it) you'll never get to 3.2GHz. You'll probably get to 112MHz FSB. Try it and go from there.

:smile: Falling down stairs saves time :smile:

Got my 2.0a to 133 fsb (2666) this morning using the wire trick. My default cpu vcore went from 1.44 to 1.71, and the temps only rose 3 degrees celcius with the stock Intel heatsink. Using a soyo p4s dragon lite, but I suggest using a board with cpu vcore dip switches, so you can set them for cold boot up, where the extra voltage is needed. This is my second P4 northwood. I was very hesitant to increase the cpu vcore above 1.6, but a post in another forum put my fears to rest. If you care to find out more, go to anandtech's commmunity forum under "cpu/processors" and on the second page is a post called "interesting read about the P4 thermal solution".

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by o1die on 07/04/02 04:47 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

Ya don't count on it.

WIth the way it looks the chips with the 400mhz bus are limited to 2.4. I can only prove it with the 1.8 and 2.0.

I've only been able to get my 2.0A to 2.4. 1 more mhz made it unstable no matter what voltage i set it too. I never went past 1.55 but i don't think you should. Thast risky i think. You paid for the warranty ya know.

so, a 1.8 can only overclock to 2.4, my 2.0 can only overclock to 2.4 .. my conclusion is that the 400mhz bus cpu's are limited to 2.4. At least in theory.

<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?id=9933" target="_new"> My Rig </A>

FUGGER

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Get a real northwood B, higher performance stock and much better overclocking too.

They run with less vcore at higher speeds = cooler CPU.

Other changes to the core on the Northwood B that help break 3Ghz.

You are limited to what your mind can perceive.

TRENDING THREADS