Is the Barton due in near future?

Booky

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2001
Any Idea on if the Barton will be out in July? I ask because I am going on vacation for a few weeks and intend on building another system when I return. AMD's roadmap just says Q3 so how am I supposed to tell? I would love to wait for the Barton since it has the bigger L2 but I really need to have this thing ordered by the end of July.

Should I get my hopes up?

Booky

Crap, all the good ones are already taken.

Booky

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2001
Damn, oh well at least I know I will be getting a TBred then. So here is my next question, where can I find a TBred 1900+? All the 1900+ that I see are the Pal core and I would love to have the lower heat and voltage.

Booky

Crap, all the good ones are already taken.

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
well as far as i can tell the speeds available for the tbred arnt complete, and they are obviously releasing some to fill product lines and such.
you could always get a super cool 1700+ and overclock the buggery out of that! (would be cheaper too!)

So I fixed my BIG PC problem by pressing the reset button. I'm not a moron am i? :lol:

LED

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2002
Lower heat? It's much harder to cool than the pal. It may produce less heat.....tiny surface area makes it difficult. People say they shouldve used a heat spreader. But maybe just a larger core, w/ non-functioning area wouldve been better. Less yield per wafer though.....And you know what these big Co's think about. ($)

I sold my sig for $50.

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
A heat spreader dosent help with heat!

Fatburger linked to tests showing removing the p4's heatspreads lowered running temps, heatspreaders despite their name are for protecting the core, not lowering temps.

:wink: The Cash Left In My Pocket,The BEST Benchmark :wink:

LED

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2002
I agree, heatspreader wouldnt do much except protect the core. You missed what I said. I said a larger core, w/ innactive core material to create a larger surface area.

I sold my sig for $50.

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001

You edited your post, bad form man, bad form.

Its one thing to edit ones post to remove mistakes, making it a blind edit after someone comments on said mistake, THEN deriding their comments as a misread....man...
:wink: The Cash Left In My Pocket,The BEST Benchmark :wink:
<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Matisaro on 07/04/02 11:10 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

mbetea

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2001
yeah get your hopes up and wait for barton, i would. oh wait, hammer will be coming out shortly after barton, i would wait for that. wait, actually, it probably won't be too long after hammer is released til we see a newer version, so i'd wait for that.

the world looks a lot better using a glidecam :smile:

TheMaverick

Distinguished
May 13, 2002
But then they will just tweak something else out so maybe he should wait for that too? =) waiting will always be better and you will always be kicking yourself if you dont wait but who here hasnt gone oh crap I just need a system NOW!... When you get back just order your system it will run great I have an XP1900+ (Pal core) and I love it so your Tbred core will only be better have fun with a nice system when ya get it.

AMD XP 1900+
MSI Ultra ARU (MS-6380E)
Geforce 4 Ti4600
PC2100 512MB

deadkenny

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2002
Well, the integrated heat spreader is intended to help with heat dissipation, whether or not it's effective. I read an article about someone who removed it and it appeared that the conductive material under the 'cap' was not uniformly applied, hence the poor performance.

LED

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2002
With a heat spreader I imagine its not doing anything much differently than a nice surface on the bottom of the heatsink. But w/ larger innactive core material, you get more surface area that's actually a part of the core and doesnt produce heat. I would imagine something like that being drawn in only if the t-bred was at the brink of it's ability to dissipate heat from it's current core design/layout/size. I also heard that some of the P4's core is innactive, and not used. Could be a reason why it isn't so difficult to cool it.

I sold my sig for $50.

SammyBoy

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2001
Yeah, but now Intel is shrinking the die size by about 10%... possibly removing those inactive areas? Again, its all about yield per wafer, and having a larger die size increases the amount of wafers you need to use. And while you may not sell the CPUs for any more or less, your profit margin per sale would suffer.

Welcome to the world of business.

-SammyBoy

LED

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2002
Yep, I read that too. Although I dont think the P4s OC'ability are mainly limited by it's heat production/dissapation. Let's hope the new stepping doesnt create a thermal issue. This step could also make for more OC friendly chips as theyre probably trying for 3+ghz as a packaged clock. Let's see what happens.

I sold my sig for $50.