kurokaze

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2001
Ok, I just read the article on the front page title
"Stop Smothing AMD"

Seeing as I haven't checked into these forums (which is
where I presume these fanatical fans reside) since
last December, I have no idea what he's talking about.
Can anyone provide me with some background?

Intel Components, AMD Components... all made in Taiwan!

Hoolio

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2002
The only reason I support AMD (I am not a mad fan) is that it seems that this site seems slightly biased?

Don't blame the users, blame the sites that report the news.

Apparently this whole thing is about people who sleep with their computers...it seems.....

kurokaze

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2001
I like AMD also, definately nowhere near being fanatical
about it.

Every site is biased to some degree, I just wanted to know
where he was coming from.

chuck232

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2002
Hmmm..... reading that article kinda made me mad. I mean I like AMD chips cause of thier ability and price, not cause I'm a "fanboy". Oh there is the occasional fanboy, but that happens to both sides. I mean there's plenty of Intel fanboys here and the same with ATi and nVidia.

The article seemed especially harsh and they tried to make it sound as though the were trying to help out AMD, but I believe none of that. To me it sounded like someone had a lot of fun bashing away at AMD and their conusmers. I mean some of the points they made are true, but people like AMD not cause they're "Apple wannabes", it's cause AMD makes good CPUs and products. While I agree that AMD fans have overrated AMD's products a bit, that shouldn't be the reason for such an insulting article to AMD clients.

:smile: Falling down stairs saves time :smile: <P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Chuck232 on 07/04/02 10:33 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

kurokaze

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2001
Indeed, I was even more confused by the whole "recalcitrant
Canadians and Europeans" statement. Being Canadian and
all.

What on earth is he talking about???

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by kurokaze on 07/04/02 09:43 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

chuck232

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2002
I dunno, I'm Canadian too and recalcitrant means that we are uncontrolled or unobeying.... Sounds like an insult to me.

:smile: Falling down stairs saves time :smile:

LED

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2002
People take sides as if Intel and AMD are two sporting teams. And, as w/ sports, people turn to fanatics. You see people rioting, flipping cars over, etc...Because the 11 guys rep. there city kicked a ball around better than someone elses 11 guys. Who wants to be associated w/ fanatics? That's his point. The vocal AMD user sounds mostly biased, and sometimes ignorant. Especially when they refuse to believe that an Intel chip is better in any way. Or they choose AMD simply because they Like AMD, not because the proc, or tech is better. They perpetuate myths about AMDs next procs. Take on the defensive attitude of the "sore loser" when these new procs come out and dont make THEIR expectations. Find loopholes or qualifiers as to why AMD is better. Anyone who sees anything wrong w/ the article as a whole might be a fanboy. He's right. Who wants to be associated w/ fanatics. Biased, and thinking the world is against them and their procs (lol sounds ridiculous, but true for some of you).

I sold my sig for $50.

LED

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2002
It means that if you're a "rogue", can., eur., than July 4th means something to you......It's pretty light hearted, a joke. Sorta meaning no one cares today is the 4th cept Americans.....

I sold my sig for $50.

chuck232

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2002
Hey, it's not like I don't like Intel chips. I was personnally gonna get a P4 1.8A. Now that's not the point. Can you seriously tell me that there is an Intel chip that that costs the same as an AMD will be better (without overclocking)? Take a look:

XP2000+:p4 1.8A
XP1900+:p4 1.6A
XP2100+:p4 2.0A

Now, if you look at that, the prices are very similar, and without overclocking, the AMD wins in all those cases. All I'm saying is that AMD also does have good points. And I'm definitely not a fanboy. I merely take a look at what worth it. I know for us comp enthusiasts, you'd buy a P4 expecting to overclock, but a lot of people buy P4s and don't overclock. In many of those cases they could be getting a similar priced CPU and get more out of them.

I have not spread BS about how Hammer is gonna crush everything, instead I think that Hammer will have a tough time against Prescott. Hammer may have a lot going for it, but it just seems like AMD isn't gonna have the ability to market these CPUs like Intel can.

LED

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2002
You're just comparing price, that's fine. Intel is soon to release a 2.8ghz chip that will probably cost $600. That sure sucks for people that dont have $600 to spend on a chip. With the price argument out of the way, what does AMD have over Intel? AMD has no SSE2, arent known for great OC's, Run hot, have via as their best supporting CS, no on chip thermal prot., crush easy....Lots of things to sway anyone looking to purchase a proc today. Other than price, AMD really doesnt have anything to offer that intel doesnt have, or cant do better. You're making qualifiers for AMD chips......What I got from your post was that AXPs are a good proc for people on a budget. Fanboy arguments changed a lot. Used to argue for AMD because they were better performers, not only because they were cheap. I will not buy an AMD proc now only because theyre just not as good as Intel. Period. Yet you can argue here up and down how in some applications AMD is better.....Just to see AMD win in something. Like Price/Performance....which is laughable, especially in an enthusiasts hardware forum where performance should take precedance every time.

I sold my sig for $50.

chuck232

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2002
Hey..... why does your post sound like a Intel fanboy type? I've already made it clear that I definitely don't favor AMD as I was going to get an Intel setup. Currently I have 3 Intel systems and 0 AMD. I'm going to look for the best chip in my budget. May it be AMD or Intel. Think about it. In a tech forum such as this one, people don't necessarily have $500 to blow on a CPU that's 15% faster than a CPU that's $200. Say I have a budget of $100. What would you suggest me do if I wanted a CPU? Would I get a Celeron or a Athlon XP? You tell me. VIA chipsets aren't bad at all. It's funny how only a small portion of the people with VIA chipsets have problems. Intel has ramped up the performance and AMD was not able to. But with Hammer, they should get it back for a short while, til Prescott comes along. I don't give a damn at what apps the Athlons are better, merely AMD chips do outperform at heir price. What other way would you have it? I can say, well my 10000 Intel Itanium5 supercomputer is better than your Athlon XP2000+, but obviously the price is different. If price/performance should mean nothing, then what should mean everything?

chuck232

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2002
Yeah! Just the person I need now.

<pre>Be careful of Matisaro, just when you think you're doing good, he firmly sets you back into your place... I learned the hard way</pre><p> :smile: Falling down stairs saves time :smile:

LED

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2002
I could produce a ton of reasons why I think Intel is a better purchase right now......But heres one that should sell it to everyone.......Performance. That's my opinion, and I dont see how my statement makes me look like a fanboy. I thought when I described what the AMD procs lacked, you could figure why I would make that statement. I guess I overestimate peoples.......well.

I sold my sig for $50.

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
That's my opinion, and I dont see how my statement makes me look like a fanboy. I thought when I described what the AMD procs lacked, you could figure why I would make that statement. I guess I overestimate peoples.......well.

So people whos oppinion is that amd is better/has good value for the dollar makes them fanboys, but your blatantly biased amd sucks ass/intel is better in every way oppinion dosent make you an intel fanboy.

I dont have time for hypocrites. Have a nice thread.

:wink: The Cash Left In My Pocket,The BEST Benchmark :wink:

kurokaze

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2001
Well, it was my thread to begin with.. anyway, I still
want to know what that article was all about.

Intel/AMD fanboys will come and go, pay them no mind.
I myself have 2 intel systems and 1 amd system. Both
have served me over the years. And quite frankly, not
all of us are willing to spend $$$ on the biggest and
the best when something a little more mid-range will
do just fine. After all, who cares if you get an extra
10fps on a P4 vs AXP when the rates are over 100fps
to begin with? You won't notice a damn difference.

LED

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2002
Im no fanboy, a realist. You're right, a lot of people dont have the $$. AMD wins there, but thats the only place it wins is my point. Performance means everything....That's what's exciting. AMD wins hands down price/performance. Congrats AMD.

That small portion has a loud voice. Kept me from buying via this time around.....plus my past experiences.

I sold my sig for $50.

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
Well, it was my thread to begin with.. anyway, I still
want to know what that article was all about.

I meant led should have a nice time.

It boils down to this, you dont overclock amd is the best bang for your buck, you do overclock intel is the clear way to go.

Anyone who has a problem with that stand is one step closer to being a fanboy, this article was a joke, then again, this website has sucked for articles for the whole last year, anand and hardocp are much better, I am just here for the forum.

kurokaze

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2001
Its funny because I left this forum due to the constant
flame wars over Intel/AMD. I only read the reviews
and articles here.

I barely read the articles and reviews over a [H], but
I spent alot time at their forums (which are down AGAIN).

I don't really read anand, mostly I read /. and arstechnica.

LED

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2002
Truth hurts sometimes. Another symptom of fanboyism....Failure to believe the facts. Tell me what makes AMD procs more favorable than intels, besides the price/performance.

I sold my sig for $50.

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
Truth hurts sometimes. Another symptom of fanboyism....Failure to believe the facts. Tell me what makes AMD procs more favorable than intels, besides the price/performance.
I said I dont have time for hypocrites, if you cannot read your comments(intel wins against amd in everything, period((except for price/performance cause led has decided that is not important and only amd fanboys think thats a reason)) and see the utter hypocrasy in your words then I dont have time nor the desire to talk to you on this subject.

LED

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2002
Because theres no argument there, Mat. Im really not being hypocritacle, just on the other side of the fence right now. I started to play devils advocate here on occasion just because it will mostly just be an AMD love fest. Now it's become my M.O. simply because I cannot believe the way some people react to negativity towards AMD. I dont push buttons quite as hard as AMDMeltdown, and I try to have more respect towards people than Fugger....I post truths, facts, or guesses to the best of my knowledge are educated hehe. Calling me a hypocrate and attacking me personally may be a defense mechanism or an avoidance of the topic....

I sold my sig for $50.

mbetea

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2001
i'm certainly no fanboy. but i don't see what's wrong with led's comments. i mean honestly, besides price/performance in amd's favor, what other advantages does amd have at this point? if money was no object you're telling me you wouldn't have the fastest intel chip? my system is fine, other than the outrageous amounts of heat it pumps out. but if hammer isn't all that and a bag of fritos i'll have me a nice xeon rig this winter or next spring. and really i don't think prices are that bad even now. yeah a top of the line intel chip <i>might</i> look expensive to amd offerings. but in the whole scheme of things, it's not. i remember when i built my first rig, if i took that same amount of money now, i could easily put together a nice xeon rig. all people keep spewing about is how much faster the hammer will be than the current xp. i honestly don't think it's going to blow away what intel will have by then, so when hammer is released and doesn't live up to everyone's expectations will we still keep hearing about "oh, but it's 30%-40% faster per clock than the xp!!" some of the guys around here are worse with amd than fugger or anyone ever was/is with intel. i don't know, maybe this is all a hobby for some of the people here, maybe you have to be some kind of "supa-geek" to appreciate it.

the world looks a lot better using a glidecam :smile:

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
Yet you can argue here up and down how in some applications AMD is better.....Just to see AMD win in something. Like Price/Performance....which is laughable,

In his first post he derides amd fans for doing exactly what hes doing labeling them as fanboys, this is what I called him on, its hyprocasy pure and simple. He derided amd on its advantage calling it laughable, the same actions he prescribes amd fanboys do.(deriding intels strengths). It isnt about which chip has which strengths, its about him deriding one of amds strengths in the same manner he proclaims to dislike amd fans deriding intels. That is what makes him a hypocrite.