Win 2000 bluescreen all the time.

Rub1

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2002
I get bluescreen/error messages all the time, when doing nothing, playing games etc.

STOP: 0x0000000a
STOP: 0x0000001e
STOP: 0x00000050

I get these...

System specs:

Win 2k Sp2
Amd xp 1800+
Sb Live!
GeForce 2 Pro 64MB
512 MB SDRAM
FAT32
IBM 40GB 7200RPM HDD

I used to have Win98SE and that worked, but win2k is crashing all the time on my comp... why?

Teq

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2003
There could be a lot of reasons for the BSODs. Hundreds in fact...

If they are totally random (i.e. no detectable pattern) you most likely have memory or video problems.

If they come up in a way that you can duplicate, it's likely they are related to the way you have win2k set up. Possibly a bad driver, stalled service or crashing background task.

If they come up only during high video activity (as in games or web surfing) there is a fix here:
<A HREF="http://www.winguides.com/registry/display.php/798/" target="_new">http://www.winguides.com/registry/display.php/798/</A>

You can also go to the microsoft windows site do a search and type in the stop codes and see what's in their knowledge base.

Aside from that... it's gonna take some good old savvy troublshooting to find it.

<b>(</b>It ain't better if it don't work.<b>)</b>

RobD

Champion
OK, I just ran them through Knowledge base. Sooo many to pick from. To be able to help, I need the <i>exact</i> message sequence.

By the way, that 512MB RAM? Generic or branded?

Rub1

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2002
Generic I think, unregistered that is.

It may be a overheating problem, because yesterday the room my pc is in was very hot, and the pc crashed all the time, but today it's pretty cold and everything works fine, probably a long-shot but it could be.

RobD

Champion
OK, generic RAM could be a major factor in this. But you mentioned heat. That too could be an issue.

Was there a contributing factor to the heat (ie, playing games, or anything that'd make the machine really work). Or does it generate heat while idling (Desktop, etc).

Check your BIOS for temp's on CPU and system, that'll give you an indication of how hot you're running in idle mode.

Some mobo manufacturers have mobo tools (Asus supplies Asus Probe which'll monitor the temp etc). If your's has that s/w, run it.

Rub1

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2002
Yes it was a contributing fact to the heat, it usually crashed while trying to play Counter strike or surfing.

CPU temp: 58 Celcius
System temp: 30 celcius

Note: I checked the temperature right after I played games , and the computer had been on for approx. 45 min.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by rub1 on 03/09/03 03:06 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

Rub1

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2002
hmm, started crashing now, and I checked the cpu temp... 63 Celcius... thats pretty hot and it seems there is a connection between High temperatures and crashes.

I will buy a better cpu fan and see if that fixes the problem.

Teq

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2003
63C is a bit on the hot side... you might want to improve your CPU cooler a bit...But I doubt that's what's causing it. I've seen quite a few AMD systems rock stable at those temperatures.

A few things to try:

1) If you are overclocking, set everything (speed, voltage, timing) back to AUTO and see if it still does it.

2) There is a known timing issue with AMD processors and some 3D games that can lock up the drivers. You may be running into that. The fix for it is here:
<A HREF="http://www.winguides.com/registry/display.php/798/" target="_new">http://www.winguides.com/registry/display.php/798/</A>

3) Try reloading/updating your directX and video drivers. Sometimes the registry settings get a little scrambled by games making special demands of them.

4) If you have BIOS level temperature warnings or are running thermal guard software, make sure it's not set so low that normal use triggers them. The safe limit for your chip is 90c and there's not much point triggering thermal shutdowns below 75c.

5) Go into your registry using REGEDIT path into:
hkey_local_machine/system/currentcontrolset/control/prioritycontrol
and set "PrioritySeparation" to 1, instead of the default 2.

6) As a last resort, go into your registry using REGEDIT path into:
hkey_local_machine/system/currentcontrolset/control/session manager
and set "EnableMCE" and "EnableMCA" to 0. (This turns off the CPU's Machine Checking features... not a good idea if you can avoid it.)

Hope this helps...

---> <b>Press ALT-F4 for IQ test</b><---