HSF DON'T JUST FALL OFF???

AmdMELTDOWN

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
LOL! get real

from [H]ard|ocp:
<i>"HSF Trauma:
So there you are just minding your own business and you wake up and smell smoke and the casa is burning down around you. What was the trouble? That pesky two-cleat clip on your HSF was the problem. Seriously, Matt "CIWS" Waters, a buddy of mine had a HSF snap off in middle of the night. The cleat on the socket actually broke off under the pressure of the clipping system on his HSF. Keep in mind that this unit is not moved around as a gaming box. Six-cleat clips are looking better all the time.

<A HREF="http://www.hardocp.com/image.html?image=MTAyNTgwOTUyMUZ5MXdsY1lUMWRfMV8yX2wuanBn" target="_new">pic 1</A>, <A HREF="http://www.hardocp.com/image.html?image=MTAyNTgwOTUyMUZ5MXdsY1lUMWRfMV8zX2wuanBn" target="_new">pic 2</A>

I really find it hard to place blame on the HSF maker as AMD has some pretty high PSI requirements for their heatsink specs. Seems that the guys that make crappy sockets should come into question.</i>

who to blame? hsf maker, mobo maker or AMD? read the sig.

"<b>AMD/VIA!</b>...you are <i>still</i> the weakest link, good bye!"

Hoolio

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2002
AMD's specs say that the HSF should not weigh greater than 350g I believe. Those heatsinks are solid copper and so probably were too heavy. Considering it is not AMD who produces the sockets I would not blame AMD, I would however say that maybe the clips on the sockets should be metal.

AMD set the 350g limit as heavier heatsinks could crucsh the core. This is the first case I have ever seen of a heatsink falling off. Probably just a weak socket. Otherwise maybe the other one would have fallen off.

Sorry the bias against AMD means people don't look at the facts and blame AMD directly, when AMD don't make the sockets, however maybe they should contact the suppliers and tell them.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Hoolio on 07/04/02 06:40 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

mbetea

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2001
i heard arctic silver can sometimes become slippery, causing the hs to slip on the core creating more pressure on the clips. breaking it off in this case.

i got the fastest woodburning stove this side of, oh wait, it's just my dual amds

Black_Cat

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2002
Although I consider AmdMELTDOWN's posts silly and just flame bait material, I do find installing the P4 heatsinks stupidly easy and foolproof.

The idea of clamping down a copper HSF with one clip, not to mention the pain it is to clip into place, is a bad one. I think all AMD HSF manufacturers should follow Thermaltake's lead and use a large clip which utilizes all 3 cleats.

To start press any key. Where's the "any" key? --Homer Simpson.

Hoolio

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2002
Well the worst damage I have had done to a motherboard is due to me clipping a HSF on and I scrathed the tracks on the motherboard, suddently the fan stopped working.

I scratched the tracks that provided power or controled the fan speed on the board.

See user error, not the HSF manufacturers fault. However the clips had no grips to help you hold it so I used a screw driver.

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
i use a MCX-462. its got an excellent mounting method.
i think AMD should have used the motherboard mounts as standard for all coolers, and the screws as a part of the mobo package.

95% of the fault however lies with the designers of the Heatsink, who have clearly gone beyond AMD specifications for a dual cleat design.

fortunately AMD is finally cracking down on poor HSF design, allthough it should have happened MUCH sooner. they knew crap heatsinks were being designed *caugh*orb*caugh* dissapointing really.

So I fixed my BIG PC problem by pressing the reset button. I'm not a moron am i? :lol: <P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by lhgpoobaa on 07/04/02 08:30 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

Black_Cat

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2002
I too have the MCX-462. The one drawback is that if you want to remove it you have to remove the motherboard.

Orb: Good clip. Bad heat sink.

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
but why would you want to remove it??? LoL

like i was saying. AMD should have made that design standard, and have the HSF mounts a perminant part of the motherboard design.

So I fixed my BIG PC problem by pressing the reset button. I'm not a moron am i? :lol:

Black_Cat

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2002
When I upgraded my 1.33GHz T-Bird to the Athlon XP1800+ then again when I upgraded to the 2100+. Rather annoying, I'd say.

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
but u didnt change your motherboard right?

whats so hard with changing the HSF?
4 quick screws for the fan
4 more and the hsf is off.

sure it takes longer than a clip, but it definately isn't hard dangerous or time consuming.

So I fixed my BIG PC problem by pressing the reset button. I'm not a moron am i? :lol:

Black_Cat

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2002
but u didnt change your motherboard right?
That is correct. Basically, upgrading your CPU alone is mild pain in the buttocks. Also, the performance of the Swiftech was negligible compared with the oem hs/fan.

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
really? thats strange. when i swapped from a fop32-1 to the swiffie my temps plummeted.

idle temp wasnt so different around 4C or so cooler, but full load was 8-9C better. plus i could use a quieter 80mm fan.

Black_Cat

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2002
I couldn't stand the noise of the fan that came with Swiftech so I replaced it with a much slower and quieter fan. If memory serves, under heavy load the stock hs/fan and the Swiftech/slow fan combo ran equally at 42C. The Swiftech/noisy fan ran at about 36C.

I wasn't overclocking my system so the 6 degrees, to me, is negligible. I could have saved $70 or whatever I paid for it at the time and just went with the stock hs/fan.

BTW I use the Antec silver thermal compound.

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
course! if you arnt looking for a super quiet system or overclocking the MCX-462 is an expensive waste.

i suppose you believed the FUD thats spread about AMD heatsinks eh? (or did back then)

stupid FUD.

OC wise however the MCX-462 is a wonderful investment. specially when the weather warmed up.
with my athlon 1200C @ 1350 & a fop32-1 ontop the cpu would just give up in warm weather... the swiffie wouldnot!

Black_Cat

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2002
I'm not really sure what "FUD" is an acronym for, but to put a mercifull end to this thread I will say the following: I bought the MCX-462 because it got sparkling reviews. I like to try out all the latest stuff. In a sense, I'm my own hardware reviewer. As the owner of Black Cat Computers & Peripherals, I wouldn't put something in my customer's rig that I wouldn't put in my own. Sometimes I find out the hard way that a product isn't what it is cracked up to be. Little did I realize how damn loud the MCX-462 really is! To make a long story short, the Swiftech MCX-462 is a good investment if you are going to overclock. Just be aware that this thing is loud.

mbetea

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2001
hmm. one thing i'm wondering too about is, did they say if the guy was running winXP or not? i mean, you do know that OSes other than winxp running on an xp chip could cause the system to physically shake. so that might have jared the hsf and breaking the clip.

i got the fastest woodburning stove this side of, oh wait, it's just my dual amds

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
FUD = fear uncertainty & doubt

usually stupid comments like "if you use the stock amd heatsink it will burnup!"

nods...the delta is loud... a low speed fan is usually desirable. you CAN buy it without a fan.

G

it's a farce. we can see easily on both pictures both poor quality HSFs with a weak fan & a weak one point clip. to avoid this kind of issue you MUST used a 3 points clip HSF. it is obvious that sort of problem is not unusual. but AMD has nothing to do with. personally i think that an a$$ has mounted those HSFs & all components around as well. LoL

<i> :smile: I like Interactive THG!</i>

G

btw i have to buy a best HSF than my current one. (Aqua690/Taisol)
i hesitate between the Swiftec MCX-462U (latest heatsink version) & the Alpha PAL8045U (latest heatsink version) but a weight of 700 grams seems me a bit excess. the alpha weights "only" round 500 grams. have you a point on that?

<i> :smile: I like Interactive THG!</i>

Kelledin

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2001
Weight's really not a problem when the HSF is bolted to the motherboard, unless the HSF is several kilograms.

<i>I can love my fellow man...but I'm damned if I'll love yours.</i>

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
well the alpha is mostly aluminium.
the swiftech is mostly copper.

what does it matter? they are bolted to the mobo...they definately aint going anywhere
have to have a wide socket though.