What do you think of my new system?

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
Pentium 4 2.26GHz
Abit IT7 MAX
512MB Samsung PC2700
Radeon 8500 64 retail (bought it when it was EXPENSIVE for the equivalent of $250US)
Turtle Beach Santa Cruz
Western Digital 80GB 7200RPM 8MB
Lite-ON 16X DVD-ROM
Lite-ON 48X/12X/48X CD-Writer
Antec Plus1080 /w 430 Antec PSU
ATI TV Wonder
Floppy Drive
NEC FE950+
Logitech Z560
Xerox XE88
Canon S600
Canon N1240U

What do you think? I already have it so don't bother giving me suggestions. :wink: Anyway, I'm planning on overclocking it to 2.8GHz to 3GHz. I have 4 case fans. At 2.83GHz and 3:4 ratio, I'll have DDR444. I wonder if I can get it to that. :smile:

:wink: <b><i>"A penny saved is a penny earned!"</i></b> :wink:

chuck232

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2002
MMMMMM...... *slobber**drool all over shirt* Mmmmm...... That would've been close to what I would have been getting except a 1.8A instead and a GF4 Ti instead of the Radeon 8500. I have a question, how much did that cost all together? IT may be hard for you to get to DDR444. I mean running at 166MHz FSB, you'll have a 2.82GHz with DDR333 if you run at 1:1 ratio. AQlso, can't you do 4:5 also? That'll give you DDR414, maybe doable. Probably running it at DDR333 with the CAS1.5 setting I heard about.

:smile: Falling down stairs saves time :smile:

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
Hmm, I didn't buy everything at the same time. I would say it's about $3500CDN fir everything, maybe a bit more, maybe a bit less. Some of the stuff has dropped down in price a bit, like my scanner. Anyway, I forgot to mention that I'm using a Microsoft Internet Keyboard Pro and a Microsoft Trackball Optical and a Logitech GamePad.

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
it sucks!!!

i was expecting Dual Xeons with 1mb cache, 4gb ram and 15 seagate 15k rpm in a raid 5 array!!!

anyway... back to your inferior computer... LOL
what heatsink are you using? stock one i assume.
dontforget to tell us how far you can overclock that cpu... dont have much data about the northwood 'B's.

and i know you will like the westerndigital 800JB. sweet drive

So I fixed my BIG PC problem by pressing the reset button. I'm not a moron am i? :lol:

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
Dual Xeons with 1mb cache, 4gb ram and 15 seagate 15k rpm in a raid 5 array!!!
Well, I didn't want to waste all my money and even if I did, I doubt I'll be able to even come close to affording that. I'm using my own money here and I'm only 16!

dontforget to tell us how far you can overclock that cpu... dont have much data about the northwood 'B's.
Well, first I have to install the OS. :wink: I'm on my Athlon system at the moment. Anyway, all this work needs a weekend and lots of free time. Yes, I'm using the stock fan at the moment.

and i know you will like the westerndigital 800JB. sweet drive
Yup, I sure bet I will. :smile:

mbetea

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2001
Dual Xeons with 1mb cache, 4gb ram and 15 seagate 15k rpm in a raid 5 array!!!
no doubt. i wouldn't even game on anything less than that :D

i got the fastest woodburning stove this side of, oh wait, it's just my dual amds

Black_Cat

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2002
Sweet system. I hope you have better luck overclocking than I had with my P4S533.

To start press any key. Where's the "any" key? --Homer Simpson.

orbz

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2001
Your sys is :cool: .

I know you didn't buy it all at once but how much did it cost you for the recent bought components (cpu, mb, hd, ram)?

:eek: :frown: :mad: :eek: :redface: :cool: :lol: :tongue: :wink: - What do you want to feel today? :)

buddry

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2002
I think it would be cooler if it up and running :smile:

Im going to be putting something similar like this together in a month or so (hopefully).

That is a nice <b><font color=green>Garbage Can</font color=green></b> you have there!

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
whatever happened to the P4S533 and the P4 1.6A?
Hehe, I changed my mind at the last minute. I wanted something that would provide good performance even at stock speed. At stock speed, my RAM runs at ~354MHz and my CPU runs at 2.26GHz. Sure the P4S533 would allow me to run my RAM at 400MHz without overclocking the processor but I disliked the idea of not being able to lock the PCI/AGP bus. The Northwood B is capable of reaching extremely high FSB speeds which the P4s533 can't. Also, I was looking at a potential 2.4GHz from the 1.6A and a potential 3GHz from the P4 2.26B and I like round figures. :smile:

To tell you the truth, it was really my parents idea. They don't like me upgrading my computer or getting a new computer every 6 months. They say I'm wasting my money. :wink:

MadMechwarrior

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2001
You gonna change your name to Intel Man now?... I wonder if I should switch back to Intel, I have an AXP 1800+ in my system right now. Im 14 and didnt have lotsa cash so I went cheap but I might get Intel on my next comp... if I can afford it

Black_Cat

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2002
To tell you the truth, it was really my parents idea. They don't like me upgrading my computer or getting a new computer every 6 months. They say I'm wasting my money
They'll have to be...corrected. :lol:

To start press any key. Where's the "any" key? --Homer Simpson.

G

you would like to reach DDR450 with some Samsung memory, isn't it?

:smile:

<i> :smile: I like Interactive THG!</i>

G

oh, you have a dual cpus config. what's AMP have you? do you use a 760MPX chipset? what mb have you? did you succeed to OC it?

G

3Ghz with your 2.26B - Oc'ing range of 740Mhz. hmmFFF.
i am waiting the issue's result... :smile:

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
Agh, that can't be right, AMDMeltdown agreeing with me? AGH! :eek: I must return the system now! :eek:

Hehe, j/k, just messing with your mind or what's left of it. :wink:

markgun

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2002
Excellent system. What were the specs on your old system? The Western Digital Special Edition hard drive is amazing. I have one in my old T-bird system and I love it. Hehe I don't know about getting DDR444, but try and see what happens... that Samsung memory is supposed to be good stuff.

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
Well, currently, I'm running it at 2.92GHz 100% stable. The RAM is running at 344MHz but not at maximum timing. I get about 2600MB/s on the SiSoft Sandra mem benchmark. I got 10018 3DMarks without overclocking my graphics card. It's a Radeon 8500, by the way. It's late so I don't feel like redoing all the tests and posting pictures of benchmarks. I'm working on 3GHz on 352MHz DDR RAM at maximum timing. If I overclock the graphics card too, 11000-12000 3DMarks should be easy on my system. This thing is absolutely amazing!

BTW, I did run Prime95 for an hour at 2.92GHz and my max load temp is 55c with ~30c room temp (AC is off).

Booky

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2001
Looks like a great system. Is that chip the new ones with 533MHz FSB? if not that and the GF4 4200 would have been my only changes if I built a Intel system. By the way how does the Lite-On 16x DVD-ROM work? It has 48X regular CD-ROM in it right? I was planning on getting one and wanted to know how well it works.

Crap, all the good ones are already taken.

Baztian

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2002
WOW. Amazing! But, why do you call yourself AMD Man... :lol:

Anyway, an amazingly fast setup which should last you at least a month or two :wink: !

No really, beautiful setup.

Baztian

Copenhagen

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2001
I have one of those WD800JB. I think this drive, like its bigger brother WD1200JB, would really benefit from fluid bearings. It's reasonably silent during read and write but the idle noise comming from 2 plates spinning at 7200 RPM is a little annoying on a otherwise quiet system. Fortunately WD will later this year introduce fluid bearings and also Seagate will introduce the Cuda V with 60GB per platter which will include Serial ATA and 8MB cache together with fluid bearings as usual. That could be my next drive for sure.

- For ultimate IDE performance: <b>WD1200JB</b> (3 platter)
- For near ultimate IDE performance and tolerable noise levels: <b>WD800JB</b> (2 platter)
- For tolerable IDE performance and virtually silent operation: <b>Seagate Barracuda IV or Maxtor D740X fluid.</b>

I have personal experience with all drives, except the Maxtor drive.

<i>/Copenhagen - Clockspeed will make the difference... in the end</i> :cool:

Copenhagen

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2001
Congratulations AMD_Man on your new system !

You made some wise (and safe) choices, and it seems to have payed off. I see you have more or less followed FUGGER's advice. That's some solid FSB overclocks on a CPU running FSB 133 as default.

Instead of buying a lot of fans I would personally have chosen a "cheap" water-cooling setup, to get rid of the fan noise.

<i>/Copenhagen - Clockspeed will make the difference... in the end</i> :cool: