Omid Rahmat: Stop Smothering the AMD Fans

mpjesse

Splendid
Omid Rahmat has truely demonstrated just how insipid he is today. Stop smothering AMD? How in gods name can he accuse AMD fans of smothering?! AMD isn't competitive?! Oh, but the statement I love the most is this:

"And no, Hammer won't turn it all around. The Athlon didn't turn it all around. It kept things bubbling for a while, but it didn't turn it around."

Might I remind you Omid that it was the Athlon that finally made AMD turn a frigin profit for the first time AND single handedly wiped out another competitor: Cyrix. Or did you forget your history? So, if turning a profit isn't turning the company around, I profess that I don't know what will. There is no way in hell that AMD fans can thwart AMD's efforts in making a profit. The only thing stoping AMD is Intel and their budget- NOT fans. Here's another uneducated remark:

"If you AMD fanboys love your AMD so much, how come you can't buy more of its stuff? What's the matter? Got the mouth, and not the money?"

The computer hobbiest makes up for something between 5 and 10 percent of ALL CPU sales and half of that MIGHT be AMD fans. Yet, Omid complains AMD fans can't buy more AMD CPUs. Would it really make a difference if I bought 2 Athlon XP 2200's instead of one? Would it make a difference if every AMD hobbiest bought 2 Athlon XP 2200s? NO. Hobbiests simply do not even make up a small portion of the market.

It's infinitely sad that you, Omid, seem to blame AMD's smaller and smaller profit earnings on the fans. The entire IT industry is hurting right now, not just AMD. So what if AMD isn't going to make target? No one is. WorldCom is tits up, AT&T isn't so well off, and Xerox is scandlous. Oh, but Intel is doing GREAT! Yea, right.

One more thing and I'm done. AMD is probably the most competitive chip maker out there and has been since the Athlon. Intel P4 2.53Ghz: $587 on pricewatch.com. AMD AthlonXP 2200+: $214 on pricewatch.com. More than half the frigin price! That's not competitive? Oh, some of you might say "well, the 2.54Ghz P4 is faster". Sure it is. But at what cost? Is it worth spending twice the price for a processor that is AT BEST 20% faster? I say no.

In conclusion, I believe that Omid will eat his words come 1Q 2003. AMD is much more in the game now as they've ever been. Trimming quarter earning expectations is by no means a sign that AMD has problems or is even in trouble. When AMD files for bankruptcy protection then I'll eat my own words, Omid. But until then, keep your mouth shut and quit blaming AMD's problems on 5 to 10 percent of the CPU market.

-mpjesse
irc.betas-online.com
<A HREF="http://www.betas-online.com/betas" target="_new">http://www.betas-online.com/betas</A>

"Signatures Still Suck"

M_C_Hammer

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2002
yeah it was a completely crap article, he just seemed to want to insult anyone who would rather buy amd than intel. Surely the 'fanboys' help amd out anyway?

anyway, he seemed surprised or something that no one outside america gives a sh!t that its the 4th of july, which i almost find insulting, i mean of course us europeans dont give a [-peep-] seeing as by definition europeans (mostly) live in europe, so why would we care about american independance day? he didnt celebrate my birthday did he which i dont find strange.

oh well, i must go and register at anandtech, people who bought amd cause they arent made of money obviously arent welcome here.

CAUTION: this post is highly flamable

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
I have always thought omid was an idiot, but I wont even bother reading his stupid article, a tech website has no place attacking one company or another or its fans.

Maybe thg should spend more time writing better reviews instead of letting omid post drivel.

:wink: The Cash Left In My Pocket,The BEST Benchmark :wink:

mpjesse

Splendid
What is this guy's credentials anyways? I've never even heard of him. I say BEGONE with Omid Rashat. Tom should do the monthly "Rant-O-Matic". At least, someone with some common sense.

-mpjesse

irc.betas-online.com
<A HREF="http://www.betas-online.com" target="_new">http://www.betas-online.com</A>

"Signatures Still Suck"

orbz

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2001
FYI

<i><font color=blue><A HREF="http://www.tomshardware.com/site/media/management_team.html#a_hrefmailtoomidtomshardwarecom_title_targetnew_windowbomid_rahmatbabr_bgeneral_manager_us_operationsb" target="_new">Omid Rahmat</A> omid@tomshardware.com</font color=blue>
General Manager, U.S. Operations
Omid has more than 15 years of experience in the PC industry. Most recently, he was vice president of corporate planning and communications at Expertcity Inc. Previously, he was an analyst and author specializing in digital media technologies. His articles have appeared in The Economist, San Francisco Business Journal, New Media, Game Developer and Interactivity. He is the co-founder of the GAMEXecutive Conference, a forum for executives in the electronic gaming industry.</i>

:eek: :frown: :mad: :eek: :redface: :cool: :lol: :tongue: :wink: - What do you want to feel today? :)

ApesMa

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2002
"His articles have appeared in The Economist, San Francisco Business Journal, New Media, Game Developer and Interactivity."

One certainly couldn't infer that from "Stop Smothering the AMD Fans;" about the only thing I'd be inclined to infer from that worthless, frothing-at-the-mouth rant is that THG has no editor.

mpjesse

Splendid
I see. Nothing but titles. Analyst. That's the problem, he's an analyst. The truth suffers from too much examination. All his pretty titles proves he really knows nothing of real world information technology.

-mpjesse

irc.betas-online.com
<A HREF="http://www.betas-online.com" target="_new">http://www.betas-online.com</A>

"Signatures Still Suck"

yanman

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2002
a lot of good comments from forum responses, however there are some things that I agree with Omid on.

first off, brand fans aren't really something i can understand. a company is in the business of making money, pure and simple. if xx brand computer is the best value for money at a particular given time and the software is suitable for me, that is the machine i buy. brand of hardware, operating system, software is irrelevant as long as i can perform what i want.

i do understand that often the underdog is often something it feels good to beleive in and encourage, especially as fierce competition can only help the consumer with the end product. I'm glad AMD have performed so well recently because i now sport an 1800+ that cost me only $AUD190.. something that seems unbeleivable 12 months ago. Back in the days of the Cyrix 6x86, K6 and P2 Intel had a clear lead... i'm glad that they're now teatering along a sharply increasing performance line with AMD.

I suggest to people who dismiss AMD that this might be a bit myopic given the time it takes to shift to a radically different product.. yes i'm talking Hammer. It seems understandable to me that AMD have reduced most of their effort on the Palomino product and been investing heavily in the Hammer hoping to deliver a product that, from all appearances (those scores i'm sure you've all seen), will dominate the market in terms of performance for a long time to come.

So.. don't mourne AMD yet, but don't feel you have to frame every press release in gold either.

AmdMELTDOWN

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I have always thought omid was an idiot, but I wont even bother reading his stupid article, a tech website has no place attacking one company or another or its fans.
hmm, that;s funny, you didn't seem to mind when all their attacks where against Intel. No company is beyond criticism, look at Martha Stewart.

"<b>AMD/VIA!</b>...you are <i>still</i> the weakest link, good bye!"

spud

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2001
Hehe Martha shes sucks.

-Jeremy

<font color=blue>Just some advice from your friendly neighborhood blue man </font color=blue> :smile: