diference between palm m125 and palm Vx

May 17, 2005 9:38:46 PM

Hi, Im´m intrested In buy a used palm, but I discover I´m new in palm word.

I´m just need the palm to read PPT (power point docs ) and PFD files in
them palm.

Can telme the diference between palm m1235 and palm Vx.?

best option for me?

thanks.
Vicente.
Anonymous
May 17, 2005 9:43:52 PM

Vicente wrote:
> Hi, Im´m intrested In buy a used palm, but I discover I´m new in palm word.
>
> I´m just need the palm to read PPT (power point docs ) and PFD files in
> them palm.
>
> Can telme the diference between palm m1235 and palm Vx.?
>
> best option for me?
>

> thanks.
> Vicente.

Do you recommend me another for this purpose?

thanks.
Viente.
Anonymous
May 18, 2005 2:16:34 AM

On Tue, 17 May 2005 at 21:38 GMT, <vmoreno79@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Hi, Im´m intrested In buy a used palm, but I discover I´m new in palm word.
>
> I´m just need the palm to read PPT (power point docs ) and PFD files in
> them palm.
>
> Can telme the diference between palm m1235 and palm Vx.?

m125 has a faster cpu (somethng like 33mHz v. 20mHz) and can use an
external SD card. Vx *may* have a slightly larger screen.

IIRC, m125 uses AA and Vx has lithium, I think. I'd do your own
research to be sure.

> best option for me?

Don't know.

I only read .html on my PDAs using Plucker freeware.

--
http://cbsrmt.mousetrap.net/RMTdb/ CBS Radio Mystery Theater database
CBSRMT uploads each day in <news:alt.binaries.sounds.radio.cbsrmt>

Frater Mus <FraterMus2005@mousetrap.net> wrote:

>On Tue, 17 May 2005 at 21:38 GMT, <vmoreno79@hotmail.com> wrote:

>m125 uses AA

The m125 uses 2 AAA batteries.

>and Vx has lithium, I think.

Yes the Vx has a Lithium Ion battery. This type of battery may go bad after a
few years no matter what the use so replacement should be considered, but is not
too expensive:

http://www.gethightech.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?&Scree...

The Vx is *glued* together and somewhat difficult (but not impossible using a
hairdryer) to get apart for battery replacement:

http://www.gethightech.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen...

BTW if you didn't catch it on the original poster's question, the m125 series is
known for having failed backup capacitors. So every time you change batteries
you may lose the memory, somewhat of a pain, but a simple hot sync or backup
card is an easy work around...
Anonymous
May 18, 2005 4:05:12 AM

Hello, Vicente !
You wrote:

> Hi, Im´m intrested In buy a used palm, but I discover I´m new in palm
word.

> I´m just need the palm to read PPT (power point docs ) and PFD files in
> them palm.

I assume that by "PFD" files you mean "Abode Acrobat" files.

> Can telme the diference between palm m1235 and palm Vx.?

The m125 has an SD card slot for more memory and is probably more rugged.
The Vx is lighter, has a bigger and better screen and is a lot better
looking. Otherwise they're both about the same in terms of speed and
capacity (which is to say that neither has much of either compared to newer
models).

For your needs, neither model really works viewing PPT and PDF files would
require a program like Documents to Go (for PPT files) and Resco viewer
(for PDFs). Neither program runs very well (or at all in the case of Resco
viewer) on the Palms you are evaluating. You should look at a newer model
like the Tungsten E or E2. In fact, just about any newer model Tungsten or
Zire should suit your needs.
--
"It's a long story. And it ends with me on the roof of a goddamned nuthouse
on Route 128 doing a one-man tribute to the Three Stooges."

Roberto Castillo
robertocastillo@ameritech.net
Anonymous
May 18, 2005 1:40:39 PM

On Tue 17 May 2005 03:38:46p, Vicente, wrote:

> Can telme the diference between palm m1235 and palm Vx.?

The Vx has a nicer design, much thinner (metal housing as opposed to
plastic) has a bigger glass screen, but is of an older vintage than the
m125. The Vx used a 20mhz cpu as opposed to m125s 33mhz. The m125 has a
plastic screen which is about 2/3 the size of the Vx's screen. Both use a
160x160 pixel monochrome screen. The Vx connects *only* via a serial
port, the m125 used the Palm "universal" adapter and normally connected
via a USB port (but there were also serial cables). Both machines come
with an internal 8 Megs of memory, but the m125 uses SD cards -- so
memory is basically unlimited (you can have as many SD cards as you
want). The m125 was, I believe, the last Palm to use AAA cells (a plus in
my opinion), the Vx uses a rechargeable lithium battery. The Vx came with
Palm OS 3.3 but can be updated to 4.1 (free updates to 3.5 are available
on PalmOne's site). The m125 came with OS 4.0 and it can not be updated.
IBM made a version of their Workpad (the C3) that is a rebranded Vx. Be
careful, however, I think earlier versions of the IBM Workpad C3 were
rebranded Palm Vs (only 2 Meg as opposed to 8).

From the time Palm made the first V model, they had two basic lines of
PDAs (not including the VII which was more specialized). The III, IIIx,
IIIc, IIIe, IIIxe, m100, m105, m125 and m130 were the "budget" Palms. The
V, Vx, m500, m505 and m515 where in the expensive line. The V - m515 all
had *basically* the same housing -- thin, metal, sleek, quality feel.

The Vx should really be compared to the IIIxe, the m125 was a cheaper
version of the m500. These two shared the same port, SD card slot,
software version, same CPU (though the m500 was upgradeable to 4.1 from
4.0). IBM also made a Workpad version of the m500, called the c500.

I don't know much about the newer Palms, but I believe the original Zire
was also called an m150, which means it would be a continuation of the
III line. I'm guessing the 500 series became the Tungstens.

IBM Workpads have been showing up on eBay by the droves. If a Palm c500
will do the job you need done, you might want to pick up one of the
refurbished Workpad c500s advertised there. m125s can also be picked up
cheaply if you watch closely.

--
RonB
"There's a story there...somewhere"

On Wed 18 May 2005 01:40:39a, RonB, wrote:

> The Vx should really be compared to the IIIxe

....or the m105.

--
RonB
"There's a story there...somewhere"
Anonymous
May 18, 2005 3:49:57 PM

Zombie Elvis wrote:
> Hello, Vicente !
> You wrote:
>

>>Hi, Im´m intrested In buy a used palm, but I discover I´m new in palm
>
> word.
>
>>I´m just need the palm to read PPT (power point docs ) and PFD files in
>>them palm.
>

> I assume that by "PFD" files you mean "Abode Acrobat" files.
>
>>Can telme the diference between palm m1235 and palm Vx.?
>

> The m125 has an SD card slot for more memory and is probably more rugged.
> The Vx is lighter, has a bigger and better screen and is a lot better
> looking. Otherwise they're both about the same in terms of speed and
> capacity (which is to say that neither has much of either compared to newer
> models).
>
> For your needs, neither model really works viewing PPT and PDF files would
> require a program like Documents to Go (for PPT files) and Resco viewer
> (for PDFs). Neither program runs very well (or at all in the case of Resco
> viewer) on the Palms you are evaluating. You should look at a newer model
> like the Tungsten E or E2. In fact, just about any newer model Tungsten or
> Zire should suit your needs.

Thanks !
Anonymous
May 18, 2005 6:16:02 PM

On Wed, 18 May 2005 at 06:05 GMT, <DELETErobertocastillo@ameritech.net> wrote:

> I assume that by "PFD" files you mean "Abode Acrobat" files.

That's how I read it, too.

> For your needs, neither model really works viewing PPT and PDF files would
> require a program like Documents to Go (for PPT files) and Resco viewer
> (for PDFs). Neither program runs very well (or at all in the case of Resco

If I were doing that on my old Palm I'd probably do:

pdf --> plucker
powerpoint --> export to .html --> plucker

--
http://cbsrmt.mousetrap.net/RMTdb/ CBS Radio Mystery Theater database
CBSRMT uploads each day in <news:alt.binaries.sounds.radio.cbsrmt>
http://greyhound.mousetrap.net/altus/ our ex-racer greyhound
http://www.mousetrap.net/~mouse/cs.html How to get good phone support
Anonymous
May 18, 2005 6:25:36 PM

On Wed, 18 May 2005 at 07:40 GMT, <ronbNOSPAM@bliz.org> wrote:

> On Tue 17 May 2005 03:38:46p, Vicente, wrote:
>
>> Can telme the diference between palm m1235 and palm Vx.?
>
> The Vx has a nicer design, much thinner (metal housing as opposed to
> plastic) has a bigger glass screen, but is of an older vintage than the
> m125. The Vx used a 20mhz cpu as opposed to m125s 33mhz. The m125 has a

[Much thoughtful info snipped -- thanks for taking the time to post
it.]

> IBM Workpads have been showing up on eBay by the droves. If a Palm c500
> will do the job you need done, you might want to pick up one of the
> refurbished Workpad c500s advertised there.

I snagged one of the c500 units there and really like it. Bought it
mainly for paperless geocaching (pocket query --> GSAK --> export as
..html --> plucker) but now I use it for PIM stuff like normal folks
do. :-)

Also picked up a Clie 320 for $30 (including shipping!) which has a
much better backlight, even versus the non-inverted backlight.
The wife snagged that one.

--
http://cbsrmt.mousetrap.net/RMTdb/ CBS Radio Mystery Theater database
CBSRMT uploads each day in <news:alt.binaries.sounds.radio.cbsrmt>
http://greyhound.mousetrap.net/altus/ our ex-racer greyhound
http://www.mousetrap.net/~mouse/cs.html How to get good phone support
Anonymous
May 19, 2005 4:45:06 AM

On Wed 18 May 2005 08:25:36a, Frater Mus, wrote:

> I snagged one of the c500 units there and really like it. Bought it
> mainly for paperless geocaching (pocket query --> GSAK --> export as
> .html --> plucker) but now I use it for PIM stuff like normal folks
> do. :-)

I've got a c500 -- from back when someone was selling new ones on eBay
(too many listed at once so they were going cheap). I like the feel and
quality of the thing, but I was used to AAA batteries and didn't
particularly like having to charge it. A very cheap, used (not
particularly pretty) m125 got the bulk of my use until my cellphone broke
and I started using the Treo 300 my wife thought was too big.

> Also picked up a Clie 320 for $30 (including shipping!) which has a
> much better backlight, even versus the non-inverted backlight.
> The wife snagged that one.

I seriously considered buying a Clie and bid on a few on eBay -- but I
never quite got one for my price. (I'm cheap.) They're nice, well built -
- at least they seem to be by what I've seen of them in the display
counters. Is the 320 an older model. I was usually looking at (I think)
models in the "SL" series.

--
RonB
"There's a story there...somewhere"
Anonymous
May 21, 2005 5:36:46 AM

Here in comp.sys.palmtops.pilot,
RonB <ronbNOSPAM@bliz.org> spake unto us, saying:

>On Wed 18 May 2005 01:40:39a, RonB, wrote:
>
>> The Vx should really be compared to the IIIxe
>
>...or the m105.

I love my m105. Just got another -- $28 on eBay. :-)

--
-Rich Steiner >>>---> http://www.visi.com/~rsteiner >>>---> Smyrna, GA USA
The Theorem Theorem: If If, Then Then.

On Fri 20 May 2005 11:36:46p, Richard Steiner, wrote:

> I love my m105. Just got another -- $28 on eBay. :-)

My m125 has been working great, ever since some kind person here directed
me to the screen fix file on PalmOne.

--
RonB
"There's a story there...somewhere"
Anonymous
May 23, 2005 5:06:28 AM

On Wed, 18 May 2005 at 22:45 GMT, <ronbNOSPAM@bliz.org> wrote:

>> Also picked up a Clie 320 for $30 (including shipping!) which has a
>> much better backlight, even versus the non-inverted backlight.
>> The wife snagged that one.
>
> I seriously considered buying a Clie and bid on a few on eBay -- but I
> never quite got one for my price. (I'm cheap.) They're nice, well built -

I'm cheap too; or at least frugal. Somtimes it's hard to tell the
difference. :-)

> - at least they seem to be by what I've seen of them in the display
> counters. Is the 320 an older model. I was usually looking at (I think)
> models in the "SL" series.

Yeah, it's about the same vintage as the m500 series.

--
http://cbsrmt.mousetrap.net/RMTdb/ CBS Radio Mystery Theater database
CBSRMT uploads each day in <news:alt.binaries.sounds.radio.cbsrmt>
http://greyhound.mousetrap.net/altus/ our ex-racer greyhound
http://www.mousetrap.net/~mouse/cs.html How to get good phone support
Anonymous
May 23, 2005 11:12:07 AM

On Sun 22 May 2005 07:06:28p, Frater Mus, wrote:

> On Wed, 18 May 2005 at 22:45 GMT, <ronbNOSPAM@bliz.org> wrote:
>
>>> Also picked up a Clie 320 for $30 (including shipping!) which has a
>>> much better backlight, even versus the non-inverted backlight.
>>> The wife snagged that one.
>>
>> I seriously considered buying a Clie and bid on a few on eBay -- but
>> I never quite got one for my price. (I'm cheap.) They're nice, well
>> built -
>
> I'm cheap too; or at least frugal. Somtimes it's hard to tell the
> difference. :-)
>

>> - at least they seem to be by what I've seen of them in the display
>> counters. Is the 320 an older model. I was usually looking at (I
>> think) models in the "SL" series.
>
> Yeah, it's about the same vintage as the m500 series.

I looked at some on eBay. Look pretty nice. The reason I was looking at
SLs is because I saw one at CompUSA and liked the higher resolution. But
you say the Sony 320 has a better backlight. Was there a Stowaway
Keyboard made for it?

Thanks for putting up with my ignorance.

--
RonB
"There's a story there...somewhere"
Anonymous
May 23, 2005 5:38:31 PM

On Mon, 23 May 2005 at 05:12 GMT, <ronbNOSPAM@bliz.org> wrote:

> But
> you say the Sony 320 has a better backlight.

Better than the m500, but I don't know if that's saying much.

> Was there a Stowaway
> Keyboard made for it?

Dunno, I haven't figured out the wife's usage patterns on it yet so I
haven't bought any goodies beyond a case.

--
!