XPS Laptop

I use Partition Magic to divide my HD. I do have Version 8. I cannot
divide it. On this laptop I have a partition called;

CP/M, Concurrent DOS,CTOS 3584.8 primary

Does anyone know what this is? I do not have it on my 8200 laptop or
any of my Desktops.

1) Dell Utility
2) C: Partition
3) the above CP/M, etc.
4) *Unauthorized 7.8 Primary

Any help or explanation would be appreciated.

Joan
7 answers Last reply
More about laptop

    Joan Hansen wrote:

    > I use Partition Magic to divide my HD. I do have Version 8. I cannot
    > divide it. On this laptop I have a partition called;
    >
    > CP/M, Concurrent DOS,CTOS 3584.8 primary
    >
    > Does anyone know what this is? I do not have it on my 8200 laptop or
    > any of my Desktops.
    >
    > 1) Dell Utility
    > 2) C: Partition
    > 3) the above CP/M, etc.
    > 4) *Unauthorized 7.8 Primary
    >
    > Any help or explanation would be appreciated.
    >
    > Joan

    The Dell Utility is used for diagnostics. The CP/M is a Symantec Restore
    image, to restore your hard drive to its new conditions.

    Personally, I am a more advanced user and see no purpose in these two
    partitions. They come in handy when tech support is helping less
    computer-literate users. I wiped out all of the partitions, created a
    single one spanning the entire disk, and installed a fresh copy of Windows
    XP Profressional the day I got it, and I couldn't be happier. The included
    Driver CD makes things a breeze.

    note: I have an Inspiron 1150, but was partition scheme is the same

    Thanks, I was hoping I could delete the CP/M, partition and I guess I
    will probably delete the Dell Utility. You get all that on Dell disk
    for diagnosing.

    Joan

    CS Student wrote:
    > Joan Hansen wrote:
    >

    >>I use Partition Magic to divide my HD. I do have Version 8. I cannot
    >>divide it. On this laptop I have a partition called;
    >>
    >>CP/M, Concurrent DOS,CTOS 3584.8 primary
    >>
    >>Does anyone know what this is? I do not have it on my 8200 laptop or
    >>any of my Desktops.
    >>
    >>1) Dell Utility
    >>2) C: Partition
    >>3) the above CP/M, etc.
    >>4) *Unauthorized 7.8 Primary
    >>
    >>Any help or explanation would be appreciated.
    >>
    >>Joan
    >

    > The Dell Utility is used for diagnostics. The CP/M is a Symantec Restore
    > image, to restore your hard drive to its new conditions.
    >
    > Personally, I am a more advanced user and see no purpose in these two
    > partitions. They come in handy when tech support is helping less
    > computer-literate users. I wiped out all of the partitions, created a
    > single one spanning the entire disk, and installed a fresh copy of Windows
    > XP Profressional the day I got it, and I couldn't be happier. The included
    > Driver CD makes things a breeze.
    >
    > note: I have an Inspiron 1150, but was partition scheme is the same

    First make sure you have the XP OS intstallation CD - Dell is no longer
    shipping that by default with newer systems; you have to ask for the
    restoration CDs.

    You may simply want to make your own image of the as-installed OS and write
    it to DVDs - that will obviate the need to use the restore partition on the
    drive itself.

    "Joan Hansen" <user@my.net> wrote in message
    > Thanks, I was hoping I could delete the CP/M, partition and I guess I will
    > probably delete the Dell Utility. You get all that on Dell disk for
    > diagnosing.

    Edward, I'll check for the XP installation CD, but I also back up to an
    other hard drive. I don't really have to delete the Dell Utility
    partition, that does not stop PM from dividing the hard drive, just the
    other CP/M partition. I've always used Norton (Symantec) but can't
    understand why that was installed on the new laptop and is not on any
    other of my PC's.

    Joan

    Edward J. Neth wrote:
    > First make sure you have the XP OS intstallation CD - Dell is no longer
    > shipping that by default with newer systems; you have to ask for the
    > restoration CDs.
    >
    > You may simply want to make your own image of the as-installed OS and write
    > it to DVDs - that will obviate the need to use the restore partition on the
    > drive itself.
    >

    > "Joan Hansen" <user@my.net> wrote in message
    >
    >>Thanks, I was hoping I could delete the CP/M, partition and I guess I will
    >>probably delete the Dell Utility. You get all that on Dell disk for
    >>diagnosing.

    Dell started shipping the restore partition in July 2004 and now it's
    universal, at least on the Inspiron and Dimension models. They've also
    reportedly stopped shipping Windows on CD, just as other major manufacturers
    have.

    No doubt it's quicker to restore a system from an image than to do a
    reinstall, and no doubt Microsoft wants to reduce the number of XP CDs in
    circulation.

    "Edward J. Neth" <ejn63@netscape.net> wrote in message
    > Dell started shipping the restore partition in July 2004 and now it's
    > universal, at least on the Inspiron and Dimension models. They've also
    > reportedly stopped shipping Windows on CD, just as other major
    > manufacturers have.
    >
    > No doubt it's quicker to restore a system from an image than to do a
    > reinstall, and no doubt Microsoft wants to reduce the number of XP CDs in
    > circulation.
    >

    > "Joan Hansen" <user@my.net> wrote in message
    >> Edward, I'll check for the XP installation CD, but I also back up to an
    >> other hard drive. I don't really have to delete the Dell Utility
    >> partition, that does not stop PM from dividing the hard drive, just the
    >> other CP/M partition. I've always used Norton (Symantec) but can't
    >> understand why that was installed on the new laptop and is not on any
    >> other of my PC's.

    The restore time from this ghost image is usually no more than 10 minutes.
    Also Joan - if you remove the diag partition, consider the possibility that
    you may lose the ability to boot to the OS (as well as reach the CP /M
    partition).

    I note that you have a back up hard disk, so that may not matter.

    Stew

    Thanks to all for the advice. I think I'll just leave it alone.

    Joan

    S.Lewis wrote:
    > "Edward J. Neth" <ejn63@netscape.net> wrote in message
    >
    >>Dell started shipping the restore partition in July 2004 and now it's
    >>universal, at least on the Inspiron and Dimension models. They've also
    >>reportedly stopped shipping Windows on CD, just as other major
    >>manufacturers have.
    >>
    >>No doubt it's quicker to restore a system from an image than to do a
    >>reinstall, and no doubt Microsoft wants to reduce the number of XP CDs in
    >>circulation.
    >>

    >>"Joan Hansen" <user@my.net> wrote in message
    >>
    >>>Edward, I'll check for the XP installation CD, but I also back up to an
    >>>other hard drive. I don't really have to delete the Dell Utility
    >>>partition, that does not stop PM from dividing the hard drive, just the
    >>>other CP/M partition. I've always used Norton (Symantec) but can't
    >>>understand why that was installed on the new laptop and is not on any
    >>>other of my PC's.
    >>

    > The restore time from this ghost image is usually no more than 10 minutes.
    > Also Joan - if you remove the diag partition, consider the possibility that
    > you may lose the ability to boot to the OS (as well as reach the CP /M
    > partition).
    >
    > I note that you have a back up hard disk, so that may not matter.
    >

    > Stew

Dell Laptops Partition Magic Computers