Atolsammeek

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
What the hell is it with this over clocking. 10fps more in a game which your eyes can't see? A little warmer? 200mhz to 400mhz more. Oh wow That not much speed here. Mybe When the p2 was out that was great. I tried overclocking on my amd 1800. Ran it at 2000 + In winter time I had both windows open. It made a great heater. Done it with a intel 2.0 to 2.4 another great heater. Notice Crap. Amd system was alittle warmer. Intel it became unstable. All I can say overclocking is like oh well in my book.

I never had much luck overclocking an xp, but the P4 runs great. You need to tweak the memory settings to get the most out of your p4. I also inserted 2 u shaped wires into the socket to increase the default cpu vcore from 1.44 to 1.71. Cpu temp only went from 50 to 53 celcius (I keep my room at 85 f). Running a 2.0 at 2666 with the 4:5 ratio and memory timings on fast. Very stable, and I don't need sandra or any other benchmarks to tell my system is running faster.

Some of the newer games are very taxing on older systems. Overclocking allows me to run all settings at max detail and still get good frame rates while hosting a multiplayer game.
Before overclocking framerates would drop at times and make the game stutter ocassionally.
This will get you killed in Giants, Jedi Knigkt 2. Diablo2 etc.........
On Mad Onion my score was 8600+ before overclocking, And 10043 after overclocking video and cpu. Avery nice Improvement. Now my P3 1.26 performs the same as a Northwood 2.0a or Athlon 2000+ at stock speeds.

And I had loads of fun lapping cores Upgrading H/S. making custom vent ducts for the cpu heat. Chopping holes in my case for more less noisey fans.

And then the added bragging rights of a cheap system that kicks ass. Haven't looked in a few days but my last benchmarks put me in as the 2nd fastest P3 on all of MAD ONION 3dM2K1se.

I aint signing nothing!!!

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
your right
CPU power is rapidly exceeding anything the "average user" could possibly want...
and as time goes buy % OC's will get smaller...
fortunately with rare exceptions (1.6A)

So I fixed my BIG PC problem by pressing the reset button. I'm not a moron am i? :lol:

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
My P4 2.26GHz can probably handle anything I want it to do, including video editing, <b><i>for now</b></i>. In a few months, more complex games and apps will come out and I'll eventually buy something my PC can't handle at stock. I know the 2.26GHz P4 has a lot of overclocking potential (up to 1GHz more). With a moderate overclock, my P4 will last me a few extra months and I may decide to skip the ClawHammer for a later revision in late 2003 or 2004.

:wink: <b><i>"A penny saved is a penny earned!"</i></b> :wink:

Maybe its a habit or addiction, or maybe some of us just can't get past the Hot Rod days of our lives, with Headers, Dual 4Barrel Carbureators, High Rise Intakes, More power OOOH YEAH. Maybe we need to start Overclockers Anonymous, as for myself my machine is overclocked right now, and I'm keeping it that way, because I've stumbled on the perfect settings for everything I'm running, its more stable and solid than the standard settings performed at. Theres + and - factors in every piece of computer hardware manufactured its just a matter of finding the proper threshold without using it as an alternate home heating source. And sure we're shortening the life of it but do you really think with technological changes happening as fast as they are, that our Top of the line machines will not be Dinosaurs in less than two years, so how long do you really expect your present setup to last. There is a difference between finding that perfect sweet spot and everything going up in smoke. Have a good day!

You never know what you can do until you try.

Black_Cat

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2002
I think you hit the nail on the head. For me it was hot rods and crotch rockets. Eventually you have to grow up. :frown: I think it's also the tinkering and tweaking that's half the fun. So for now I'll just overclock my P4. Perhaps someday I'll have a 10 second turbocharged Vtec in my garage.

To start press any key. Where's the "any" key? --Homer Simpson.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I do a lot of video recompiling. You do notice whether a video takes an hour, or 45 minutes, to process.

<font color=blue>At least half of all problems are caused by an insufficient power supply!</font color=blue>

Quetzacoatl

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2002
It makes AMD more competative with Intel using higher FSBs. My AXP "1800+" overclocked to 1666Mhz with 166Mhz FSB competes very nicely with the newer Northwood B's.

Almost forgot. Intel, when overclocked to crazy speeds (usually around 2.9 or 3.0Ghz), the Pentium 4's can pull away from AMD easily then. I just am happy with my overclocked Athlon. Runs cool and is fast and stable

"When there's a will, there's a way."

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Quetzacoatl on 07/06/02 10:55 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

jclw

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I do agree with a new(ish) system there is no point to overclocking to play games, but if you're doing extensive number crunching and you had a chance to do it 20% faster, wouldn't you jump at that chance?

Another way to look at it: I drove ~1800km today (Halifax -> Toronto). If I drove the whole way at 100km/h it would have taken about 18 hours. I decided to "overspeed", and managed to average about 125km/h (which let me shave four hours off the total trip time).

- JW

Quetzacoatl

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2002
Overclocking allows you to play games at higher frames per second, and at higher resolutions, you need as much power as possible, especially if using 32 bits.

10GHZ

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2002
since we are on the topic , i have a question about ocing my cpu.
i havn't unlocked my xp1.6 yet.. but i planning 2 do it in the next couple of days.
so my questions is that.. the xp1.6 is running at 133x10.5=1399mhz rite?
so can i make it say 150x9.3 also=1399mhz ? althought this setup produce the same mhz, what about performance wise? will this actually be faster?

i also understand that if i'm increasing the fsb, the pci slots gets overclocked as well, so if i set my fsb to 150, will i damage my pci slots and other pci components?

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
lol
yes, but u can only use dividers of 0.5
i.e. 9.5 10 10.5 etc

if you have a KT333 however the 166fsb is easily obtainable...

so 8.5x166.6 = 1416. a nice combo.

So I fixed my BIG PC problem by pressing the reset button. I'm not a moron am i? :lol:

Quetzacoatl

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2002
The problem with overclocking is with every raise of the FSB, you generally also increase the PCI and AGP speeds from the stock 33Mhz, unless your motherboard allows you to lock the ratio or have special 1/5 and 1/6 dividers. 150Mhz FSB isn't that high, and your PCI cards will probably be in spec easily. My 1800+ (1533 stock) runs steadily at 166Mhz FSB and 10 multiplier.

10GHZ

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2002
ic ic.... but i dont' think i can make 166 fbs with my MSI K7T266 Pro2 Ru. the highest setting is 164 , how stupid is that, and i'm only using pc2100, i'll get some pc2400 later on . the mobo isn't such a good overclocker either , next time i'll get the Epox. thanx for the help guys

wavynavy

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2002
It's for bragging rights or souping up something that isn't up to the current latest and greatest. As someone else analogized with cars...when I was not able to buy the fastest and newest, my friends and I just rebuilt our engines and drive-trains to not only keep up, but beat the latest models.

In electronics and computers, however, this is like chasing your tail. Whatever you try, be it buying the latest, or overclocking, you will soon be left in the dust.I personally don't think that is very important, particularly if everything on my system is up to my standards, but that is just me.

OGIGA

Distinguished
May 11, 2002
I was expecting everybody to say it was something like a hobbie. Bragging rights: I guess that counts too. For me, it's like "Look! I'm getting stuff I didn't pay for!"

buddry

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2002
My answer: Because I can. So I can see how much I can squeeze out of my system.

That is a nice <b><font color=green>Garbage Can</font color=green></b> you have there!

diabloskh

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2002
No offense but the majority of those games are far more taxing on your video card than your processor. And depending on how much you overclocked I highly doubt you noticed a direct difference. Maybe the memory tweaks did change things, because intel boards are known for having terrible default settings in the bios. How much did you overclock your P3. Because if you know hardware from my point of view as a computer engineer you can understand exactly what those numbers mean.

Remember your systems speed is primarily based on it's clock cycle and the bandwidth between I/O and the processor. Sadly why Mac's sometimes kill PCs. It's not there processor, it's their motherboard.

AMD realised this and if you look into their new hyper transfer modes you'll see that for a change the processor manufacturer is working with the motherboard companies and you will see a great improvement in speed, because the amount of data moved in one clock cycle will be much greater.

dam dude you must have money up the anal hole!

My P4 2ghz O/C at 2.4 will last me for at least a few years. Only upgrade i'd consider is prescott if i need it.

<side tangent note: At 2.54ghz i can't run seti. After a few minutes it reboots. I had the voltage at 1.675 too! brought it down to 2.4 and i can lower the voltage all the way 1.55. i've been running seti for about 24 hours and no reboots so it looks stable at 2.4 This is definitly cpu limited. Oh well *shrugs* my computer works and thats all i care about>

And once i upgrade to the radeon R300 i don't think i'll have any problems running any 3d rendering programs or video encoding stuff for a long time.

<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?id=9933" target="_new"> My Rig </A>

I'm running a P3 1.26 @1583 166fsb memory at 3/2/2/7/9 with forced AGP4x and forced 4/way interleave.

Video is a G4 4200 @285/530 . There is only one other P3 to break 10000 in 3dm2k1se so far. Maybe a few more will with the P3 1.4 overclocked.

I aint signing nothing!!!

diabloskh

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2002
I love it when people prove my point. Do you honestly think it was that little processor jump you made or do you think it has something to do with a GeForce 4 Video Card that I doubt many people have in their PIII.