Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Advice on Best Desktop <$700 ?

Last response: in Computer Brands
Share
November 6, 2004 5:26:44 PM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

I'm about due for a new desktop computer. I'm not into computer
games; I use my PC mostly for web surfing and word processing.

I've been thinking about the Dell 4600 or an HP. I've heard Dells
integrate alot of stuff on the motherboard, and other components are
difficult to access because there's not much room between them. Is
this true of the 4600 too? Are HP machines any better to work on?

More about : advice desktop 700

Anonymous
a b α HP
November 7, 2004 2:14:27 AM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

At that price point, no matter whose name is on the machine, the hardware
inside will be more alike than different.
If you want an Athlon/Sempron system, Dell isn't an option; HP is. Do you
want bad tech support (Dell) or horrendous tech support (HP/Compaq)?

For that price range, don't rule out eMachines/Gateway - yes, the same
Gateway much maligned over the years, which now trails only Apple in
support - and is far and away better than either Dell or HP.





"Josh" <joshhemming@fastmail.fm> wrote in message
news:D 9dbe38d.0411061426.542f9164@posting.google.com...
> I'm about due for a new desktop computer. I'm not into computer
> games; I use my PC mostly for web surfing and word processing.
>
> I've been thinking about the Dell 4600 or an HP. I've heard Dells
> integrate alot of stuff on the motherboard, and other components are
> difficult to access because there's not much room between them. Is
> this true of the 4600 too? Are HP machines any better to work on?
Anonymous
a b α HP
November 7, 2004 2:48:20 AM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

> joshhemming@fastmail.fm (Josh)

>I'm about due for a new desktop computer. I'm not into computer
>games; I use my PC mostly for web surfing and word processing.

>I've been thinking about the Dell 4600 or an HP.

Good choice with the 4600. Aren't they up to the 4700's by now? If you can wait
until after Christmas you should be able to get what you want for less than
$700. I'm not sure you could do that today.

>I've heard Dells
>integrate alot of stuff on the motherboard, and other components are
>difficult to access because there's not much room between them. Is
>this true of the 4600 too?

I've got a 4550 and a 4600. Both are extremely easy to open and easy to work
on. I've got separate video cards and sound cards on both of them. I've heard
it is very simple to add or change hard drives, CD-ROM, DVD, though I've never
done it. Besides these components what other ones would you need ready access
to (or what components do you mean when you say they are too close together?)

>Are HP machines any better to work on?

I don't know but I can't imagine how they could be any better than Dell. I can
have my case opened in less than a minute.
--
"When you argue with a fool be sure he is not similarly occupied."

See how the pros get their power!
http://www.powrwrap.com/press.htm
Anonymous
a b α HP
November 7, 2004 4:21:14 AM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

Save $200. Dimension 4700 P4 520 2.8Ghz Desktop 256MB DDR2-400/40GB Serial
ATA HD, 15in Dell LCD, 48x CD, Free Dell 720 Color Printer, Ethernet, 6
months ISP, Word Perfect, XP Home SP2, 2yr warranty $599 after $100 rebate,
shipped free. Tax is charged. Ends 11/10

Start here, Customize it on left config.

Good upgrade:
P4-3Ghz/800Mhz bus CPU Upgrade for only +$20

Also available: Outrageous Dimension 8400 P4 540 3.2Ghz 512MB DDR2/40GB
Serial ATA desktop with 17in LCD $799 after $100 rebate

"Josh" <joshhemming@fastmail.fm> wrote in message
news:D 9dbe38d.0411061426.542f9164@posting.google.com...
> I'm about due for a new desktop computer. I'm not into computer
> games; I use my PC mostly for web surfing and word processing.
>
> I've been thinking about the Dell 4600 or an HP. I've heard Dells
> integrate alot of stuff on the motherboard, and other components are
> difficult to access because there's not much room between them. Is
> this true of the 4600 too? Are HP machines any better to work on?
!