Sign in with
Your question

Overclockers Unite!!(I need help)

Last response: in CPUs
July 7, 2002 8:37:32 PM

Well, I'm pretty sure I'm gonna be buying some computer parts. I haven't left on my "vacation" yet, but I wanna firm up my component list before I do anything stupid.(I might get these things on my vacation if I can find some good prices)

Ok here's what it is I wanna a P4 system that I'm gonna be overclocking.

P4 1.8A 512K L2 cache
ABIT BD7II i845E Motherboard
256/512MB PC2700 DDR333 RAM
40GB Maxtor 7200RPM HDD
case and 350W Enermax PSU
Sony 52X CD-ROM
MSI GeForce4 Ti4200 128MB

I think that's it. It's about $1000 some Canadian, and this is kinda my test rig. (I've never built my own comp before)

Now my question is, how do you guys overclock. I don't want to burn this comp, cause I'll lose confidence forever. :frown: I mean do you take it as far as the FSB will go til it doesn't POST, or do you set a goal and when you get there, do you stop? Is there any chance of burning the CPU after one lock-up? Thanks a lot.

Also how does the system look? It's not gonna be a powermonger, but just something that'll get me by til Doom]|[. I already have a keyboard, mouse, floppy drive, sound card, network card, monitor, and speakers. I might wait for RV250 to see also, but anyways.

Thanks in advance for the help!!

:smile: Falling down stairs saves time :smile:

More about : overclockers unite

a b à CPUs
July 7, 2002 9:07:50 PM

First thing, try overclocking it to 133MHz FSB, this is a standard setting for that chipset where nothing but the CPU is overclocked. If it post at standard voltage, great! If not, try rasing the voltage to 1.65v. It should boot easily at that voltage. Now check your temps in BIOS. If it's under roughly 55C you good to go for pushing it further. Push it till it craps out, then back it down to where it runs stable. You won't hurt that CPU, you'll get a system lock first.
Memory should be at 1:1 with bus speed if you want to go much past 133. If you want it to stay at 133 (2400MHz), you'll be fine with a higher ratio. I would see how far you can go at the 1:1 ratio first, if you can't get much past 133 with the CPU, raise the memory ratio.

<font color=blue>At least half of all problems are caused by an insufficient power supply!</font color=blue>
July 7, 2002 10:08:12 PM

So you think that I should push it as far as it'll go? And also, should that be the highest it'll go under 1.65V? I shouldn't go any higher then. Thanks for your tip!

Anyone else have the same tip or a different one? I'd just like to know if this is the best way of testing. (Isn't this called "destructive testing"?) Also I'd like to know how many people <b>have</b> burnt out CPUs in the process of overclocking. I'm kinda paranoid right now.

Related resources
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
July 7, 2002 10:54:18 PM

IMO its a good choice. its worth the money.
you can increase your FSB to 133 & reach 2.4Ghz without issue most of the time (80%). because of your good DDR, you can even raise it up to 150Mhz (but it will be more difficult to succeed a 160-166Mhz FSB overclocking).
you willn't risk anything to test this OC'ing. (you willn't fry your processor :smile: ). nevertheless if you intend to overclock then buy a good HSF as well.

Quote:
I mean do you take it as far as the FSB will go til it doesn't POST, or do you set a goal and when you get there, do you stop?

i suggest you to increase your FSB to 133Mhz then to test your comp with some benchmarks in order to validate its stability. secondly you can increase it to 140 then 150 & see what happen.

Quote:
Is there any chance of burning the CPU after one lock-up?

no there is no chance to burn it because of a lock-up. :smile:

Quote:
Also how does the system look? It's not gonna be a powermonger, but just something that'll get me by til Doom]|[. I already have a keyboard, mouse, floppy drive, sound card, network card, monitor, and speakers. I might wait for RV250 to see also, but anyways.

didn't understand?!?

<i> :smile: I like THG Interactive, Inc.</i>
July 7, 2002 11:04:36 PM

First I'd like to say, you're a great help, LabDog, when you're not spamming and I thank you for the very informative post. :smile:

Quote:
test your comp with some benchmarks in order to validate its stability.

I've heard of a program called toast or something like that? Would that be a good program to test? And where do I get it? I have 3D MArk 2K1 and GLExess to test the video card.

Quote:
no there is no chance to burn it because of a lock-up. :smile:

Ok, I though when it locks up, the CPU like "died" temporarily, so if that happened, bad could arrive. You know what I mean though! :smile:

Quote:
didn't understand?!?

Just wondering how it is and telling you what components I have already. This is just gonna be a system to get me by til DoomIII. Also, I was just thinking that I may wait to see how the RV250 (video card from ATi) will do against the Ti4200 to decide what to buy. Just that! Thanks!

a b à CPUs
July 7, 2002 11:17:35 PM

The P4 protects itself from dangerously high temperatures, first by throttling down, then by turning off. Some guys use voltages as high as 1.85v, but I think you'll run into temperature caused instability first.

<font color=blue>At least half of all problems are caused by an insufficient power supply!</font color=blue>
July 7, 2002 11:40:19 PM

Thanks for the snappy replies. I'm gonna read that article. Thanks!

July 8, 2002 2:06:41 AM

What someone said a few days ago is true, a CPU cannot under logical circumstances burn due to overclocking. Why? Because you push the temps, but the max threshold, say we took an AthlonXP, is 90ºC, and I know of no current desktop CPU that when overclocked reaches 90ºC, especially a P4.
It can lock up however because the CPU's stability depends, LHG had a CPU that locked at 60ºC, while others have some that last to 85ºC and run fully stable.

So unless someone can prove that OCing fries chips under extreme OCing, and not just normal 5-50% OCing, please link me to any. And as you and all of us know, to burn one, you simply take off the fan and enjoy raw egg cooking! Or you put the P4 throttle to less than 10% actual CPU speed on overheats, take off the IHS and do the same!

--
:smile: Intel and AMD sitting under a tree, P-R-O-C-E-S-S-I-N-G! :smile:
July 8, 2002 1:27:00 PM

So from general consensus, the best way to overclock is to take it as far as it'll go stable. Also everyone seems to think that overclocking will NOT burn out the chip. Well thanks a lot people! I'll know what to do now.... :smile:

!