10GHZ

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2002
i think it was the MPU4004, well it's not exactly a central processing unit(CPU), but rather a micro processing unitMPU). it was also the world's 1st micro processor.

vetplus40

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2001
I'm thinking that the 8088 actually came before the 8080.I seem to remember some oddity with the numbering sequence.

If ya don't ask..How ya gonna know.

LED

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2002
zx80 was an 8080 clone w/ some more instructions. Built by ex-Intel employees.....2.5mhz.

"8088 actually came before the 8080"

It was 8008, then the 8080, but the question was about first PC CPU........8080 was used in Altair 8800, the first PC.

I sold my sig for $50.

G

8080 1974, 8088 1978.

<b>Intel Corporation</b> - Encyclopædia Britannica

American manufacturer of semiconductor computer circuits. Besides microprocessors, the company makes microcontrollers (single-chip computers), memory chips, computer modules and boards, network and conferencing products, and parallel supercomputers. Its headquarters are in Santa Clara, California.

The company was founded in 1968 by Robert Noyce and Gordon Moore, who had invented the integrated circuit while working at Fairchild Semiconductor. They formed their own company, N M Electronics, in order to manufacture large-scale integrated (LSI) circuits. The two men were soon joined by Andrew Grove, and they changed the company's name to Intel (from “integrated electronics”).

The LSI circuits that Intel began making late in 1968 were semiconductor memories, which were then 10 times more expensive than magnetic core memories (the industry standard at the time). The company achieved its first breakthrough in 1970 with the 1103, a one-kilobyte dynamic random-access memory (DRAM) that was the first chip with the capacity to store a significant amount of information. In 1971 Intel introduced the 4004, a chip containing 2,300 transistors that was the world's first microprocessor. (A microprocessor is a chip that contains all the arithmetic, logic, and control circuitry necessary to perform as the central processing unit [CPU] of a computer.) With these products, Intel's semiconductor chips began to replace magnetic cores as the memories of computers.

Intel's 8080 (introduced 1974) was an eight-bit microprocessor—i.e., it processed information in groups of eight bits (binary digits) at a time. The world's first general-purpose microprocessor, the 8080 provided some of the first microcomputers used in cash registers, automatic teller machines, and a wide range of consumer products. IBM chose to use Intel's 8088 microprocessor (introduced 1978) in its first personal computer (PC), and because IBM's PC design was widely accepted, the 8088 and subsequent Intel microprocessors became a standard for all PC-type machines. In the following years Intel produced a series of faster, more powerful microprocessors. By the end of the 20th century Intel's top microprocessor, the Pentium 4, contained about 42 million transistors and a CPU that operated at up to 1.7 gigahertz. (Two arithmetic logic units each operated at double the CPU rate.) Although the company faced growing competition during the 1990s, its microprocessors were installed in more than 80 percent of new PCs.
first Intel Years, did you remember?

<i> :smile: I like THG Interactive, Inc.</i>

scamtrOn

Illustrious
Nov 20, 2001
what about 47hz? do any of you know about that?

<font color=blue><b>Respect this man: <font color=red>Fredi</font color=red>
He is the one who beholds the power to "sig changing"

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
The first micro computer that I ever saw was an Altair. I think it had an 8008A procecessor. That was in 1976. You had to toggle in the bootstrap. The kid that owned it eventually obtained a driver for a paper tape reader after which he could program the computer more easily. Well, easier than toggling binary.

I think the Altair had 4KB of memory. The micro computer plus memory cost him something like $2500 in 1976! Oh, and it was a kit computer. A few hundred parts and lots of soldering.

<b>I have so many cookies I now have a FAT problem!</b>

LED

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2002
8008 was pre altair I think? 8080 was in the altair8800, it had 20 more instructions than the 8008.

"The kid that owned it eventually obtained a driver for a paper tape reader"
Teletype?

Funny how Bill gates even wrote Basic for the MITS Altair.....Like him or not, he was right there at the start of it all.

I sold my sig for $50.

scamtrOn

Illustrious
Nov 20, 2001
LOL

no, 0.0047mhz. it wasn't an IBM. it was an experimental processor mad to do simple calculations for the DOD, but it didn,t work.

<font color=blue><b>Respect this man: <font color=red>Fredi</font color=red>
He is the one who beholds the power to "sig changing"

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Darn, askjeeves.com doesn't provide the direct link.

Anyway, if you search at askjeeves for MITS Altair you'll get the background of the Altair 8800. It would take either processor, 8008 or 8080.

There is some interesting stuff like the faulty dynamic RAM boards. Seems the CPU sent the refresh signal but if the CPU was tied up then the memory would not be refreshed and the contents lost. That's really "dynamic"! This was known pretty early and third-party static memory boards were available. This is what my friend had, I'm pretty sure. It made the computer very expensive.

As for the paper tape reader, you're right. It was an ASR teletype. He keyed in the programs on tape and loaded them when needed.

<b>I have so many cookies I now have a FAT problem!</b>