Sign in with
Your question

Mackinley benchmark Almost 1400 FP

Last response: in CPUs
July 8, 2002 3:55:24 AM

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=4225
http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=4266

Fastest FP
2 second integer much better that the last place of merced.

cheap, cheap. Think cheap, and you'll always be cheap.AMD version of semi conducteur industrie
July 8, 2002 11:51:31 AM

will still be weeker then EV7 both on Specint and SpecFP.
ClawHammer/Opteron will take the SpecInt crown with projected ~1200 score for a 2Ghz ClawHammer. and thus with further speed grades will be the best server chips (which dont care about FPU) and the best Workstation Price/Prformance chips (which usally are about price/preformance) for a long time... prolly not even taken by madison.

with the growing need for 64bit adressing and with SUN and others (Dell? SGI?0 behind AMD's X86-64 with no Yamhill project Hammer is likly to take over a major part of the Xeon market.

This post is best viewed with common sense enabled<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by IIB on 07/08/02 02:55 PM.</EM></FONT></P>
July 8, 2002 1:33:47 PM

No only Power Pc4 come near itanium 2 in spec benchmark.
Hammer is over hype as i know it still run at 800 mghz

cheap, cheap. Think cheap, and you'll always be cheap.AMD version of semi conducteur industrie
Related resources
July 8, 2002 1:55:54 PM

AMD's leaked roadmap shows ClawHammer at 2GHZ by this year, at PR3400 while the Opteron will start at 1.5GHZ for PR3400.

--
:smile: Intel and AMD sitting under a tree, P-R-O-C-E-S-S-I-N-G! :smile:
July 8, 2002 2:05:12 PM

heheh you mean the Hammer Hardware relesed on <b>march</b> to microsoft VIA and others works at 800mhz.
Texas already stated a couple of months ago the IDF presentation Hammer worked at 900Mhz (first silicon). and sence Hammer speed doubled itself.

This post is best viewed with common sense enabled
July 8, 2002 2:17:32 PM

Quote:
Texas already stated a couple of months ago the IDF presentation Hammer worked at 900Mhz (first silicon). and sence Hammer speed doubled itself.

Let's have links to reputable sites, not hearsay and rumors. Hmm, can't find any? So sorry...

Ritesh
July 8, 2002 2:43:14 PM

no reputabke site is relesing the freqency of Microprocessor at the stage of devlopment.
and Texas_teche has connections inside AMD. he has proven so.

This post is best viewed with common sense enabled<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by IIB on 07/08/02 05:47 PM.</EM></FONT></P>
July 8, 2002 3:20:55 PM

Your common sense is as reliable that your chipset.

I made 3 prediction in last 6 month

Hammer running at 800 mghz i was right (just dig for prove)
Nw will be king for all Q1 Q2 maybe Q3 in fact it was all 2002.Hammer to hit only in 2003 the inquirer say not before christmas that few week away from 2003.

July 8, 2002 3:32:44 PM

and that proves me wrong how?

July 8, 2002 3:39:43 PM

I don't understand your signature, cheap cheap, always think cheap and you will be cheap. Is that mocking AMD. Linux is free, which is very cheap and it hasn't stopped IBM and two major Japanese computer companies from dropping over 2 billion dollars in Linux development. Tell me what good is the Intel chip right now to the consumer? The AMD supports 32 bit and 64 bit processing. Intel has made no such claim. What good is it to me to have a processor that can not run with most current OS's. I say AMD thinks cheap because big brother Intel can't figure out how to make a quality product at a low price, and AMD can.

Personally I like my money and don't want to spend more of it than I have to on an inferior product. AMD is not released because unlike Intel they are actually working with the chipset as well as the processor as apposed to what Intel does. Release a processor that doesn't have an even remotely decent mobo to run it on.
July 8, 2002 3:50:04 PM

Quote:

that last folk reminded me of somthing else I wanted to say.
Opteron: Better integer preformance with <b>half</b> the trasisitor count. prolly somthing less then <b>half</b> the die size. prolly as result somthing like <b>thierd</b> the price. with excpected ~<b>half</b> the heat of the 130W Itnaic2. with <b>better</b> scalbilty on MP configs acheved even tought opteron has somthing like <b>Half</b> the Cache, due to Opterons ccNUMA (cahce coherent non uniform memory architecture Multi processing) which is suprior to Itnaic2 old simtric multi processing.

not to shavy I'd say.

This post is best viewed with common sense enabled<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by IIB on 07/08/02 06:55 PM.</EM></FONT></P>
July 8, 2002 4:56:46 PM

1 hammer will be again Madison nocona presscott
2 hammer will run in 32 bit most of the time.
3 0.09 micron will be use in itanium at the same time that hammer 2004 or 2003 Q4
4 Ever hear of pinacle chipset.
5 XEON can use more that 4 GB of memory

Does windows X87-64 will be ready who make the compiler who make the chipset Does a OEM have commit itself to X87-64 even IBM start to move on IA-64.

July 8, 2002 5:17:48 PM

Quote:

2 hammer will run in 32 bit most of the time.

that will be up to the clint to decide - if they are based on Xeons - and starting to feel the need for 64bit adressing. Hammer is the only valid high-preforming choise.

Quote:

3 0.09 micron will be use in itanium at the same time that hammer 2004 or 2003 Q4

you wish.

Quote:

4 Ever hear of pinacle chipset.

ccNUMA is all about getting rid off the chipset bootelneck. Hammer is scaleble through its <b>integrated</b> interconects same way it is done by EV7 (which its main enginers *ahhm Dirk Mayer ahhm* now work for AMD). Hammer has no external complementry logic (except for the southbridge and AGP). and thus achice its non uniform memory architecture - where system bandwith scales UP with more processors.

Quote:

5 XEON can use more that 4 GB of memory

hehe - the extentions alowing it makes 64bit adressing 10 to 100 times SLOWER then FLAT 64bit adressing fo a REAL 64bit CPU. XEON is not a valid choice for the ones intrested in high preforming 64bit adressing.

This post is best viewed with common sense enabled<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by IIB on 07/08/02 08:55 PM.</EM></FONT></P>
July 8, 2002 9:28:14 PM

Intel is making another paper launch with Itanium 2. The chip is supposedly ready, but there's no chipsets ready for it until around October. So guess what? Clawhammer and Itan2 will hit the market about the same time. Indeed, Itan2 may not be made available to retail channels until Opteron hits the street. This should make for some interesting months from October through April.

Mark-

<font color=blue>When all else fails, throw your computer out the window!!!</font color=blue>
July 9, 2002 1:39:27 AM

I8870 is ready it ZX1 from HP/Q that is not ready

July 9, 2002 1:53:29 AM

Now you have copy past all the information from anadtech.

---that will be up to the clint to decide - if they are based on Xeons - and starting to feel the need for 64bit adressing. Hammer is the only valid high-preforming choise.---

That at lease 3 year away

0.09 micron will be done at intel in 2003 1 half plus delay itanium it 1 year behind and 2003 Q3 to 2004 Q1 (accordding to the inquirer).

SRI of hammer is pretty good no 1 can denied that.
K8 and all K8 use the same excution core that from the K7 kind of old.Cache design: more bandwith more of it less latency that hammer or any 1 else.
It L3 have a cache hit of 80% so the request from FSB is way less important.Anyway itanium dont compete with hammer

Do you believe that HAMMER will compete in the HIGH-END SERVER market with IBM SUN INTEL HP.

July 9, 2002 5:25:49 AM

Quote:

K8 and all K8 use the same excution core that from the K7 kind of old

K-7 is a 3 issue super scalar core which is able to prvide a through put of 9 uops per cycle. Pentium 4 is can only decode 1 complex x86 instruction at the time and Issue only 2 uops per cycle from its trace cache.
The core of the K-7 was never the problem. Much as the core of the EV6 was never the problem - and it is the same core used in EV7. (simmilrty not suprising.. hmmm Drik Mayer hmmm).
anyway http://www.chip-architect.com/news/2002_06_24_Hammers_T..." target="_blank">Hans de vries[/utl] shows that the this is not the same core - the Out Of Order execution has been refined.

Quote:

It L3 have a cache hit of 80% so the request from FSB is way less important.

hehe. the L3 cache has latncy of around 11 cycles right? Dram has latncy of 100 cycles. so if it will cache miss once evry five times - the Dram latncy will still have a high impact on preformance.

Quote:

Do you believe that HAMMER will compete in the HIGH-END SERVER market with IBM SUN INTEL HP.

Hammer has all a chip needs to be high end. it's system architecture is very much like EV7. and EV7 is the highest of the highest ends. if SUN can make money out of selling Hammer High end - it will. and SUN still owns the majorty of the 64bit market.

This post is best viewed with common sense enabled<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by iib on 07/09/02 08:28 AM.</EM></FONT></P>
!