numlock not on at start?

Dimension XPST800r, PIII.

I've noticed on my sister's system (which was once mine and it worked
then) - the numlock is noton when windows starts.

It is set to On in the BIOS and the light is on during boot, but goes
out when we get to XP welcome screen and stays off until pressed to come
on.

What am I missing?

TIA
--
Cynthia
I don't read Hotmail - To mail me: cynthiag at canadiensfan dot com

XP saves the state of numlock during shutdown and restores it when rebooted.

"Bill Joy" schrieb:

> "Cynthia G" <cynthiag31DONTREAD@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > Dimension XPST800r, PIII.
> >
> > I've noticed on my sister's system (which was once mine and it worked
> > then) - the numlock is noton when windows starts.
> >
> > It is set to On in the BIOS and the light is on during boot, but goes out
> > when we get to XP welcome screen and stays off until pressed to come on.
> >
> > What am I missing?
>
> XP saves the state of numlock during shutdown and restores it when rebooted.

Thats not completely right.

XP saves the state *for a user* when he logs off or shutdown the
computer. This saved state is restored, when the user login into XP.
As long as the XP-login screen is shown, the state of the numlock is
off! Just after login the last state is restored.

(E.g. what should XP do as long as the login-screen is shown, if there
are 2 user accounts on the machine, one user has enabled and the other
disabled num lock...).

I think there is a registry key, which enabled the numlock state on
login screen. Save this as "numlock.reg" and doubleklick on it:

----- numlock.reg -----
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Control Panel\Keyboard]
"InitialKeyboardIndicators"="2
-----------------------

Regards,
Manuel

Manuel Fischer wrote:
> "Bill Joy" schrieb:
>
>> "Cynthia G" <cynthiag31DONTREAD@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>> Dimension XPST800r, PIII.
>>>
>>> I've noticed on my sister's system (which was once mine and it
>>> worked
>>> then) - the numlock is noton when windows starts.
>>>
>>> It is set to On in the BIOS and the light is on during boot, but
>>> goes out
>>> when we get to XP welcome screen and stays off until pressed to come
>>> on.
>>>
>>> What am I missing?
>>
>> XP saves the state of numlock during shutdown and restores it when
>> rebooted.
>
> Thats not completely right.
>
> XP saves the state *for a user* when he logs off or shutdown the
> computer. This saved state is restored, when the user login into XP.
> As long as the XP-login screen is shown, the state of the numlock is
> off! Just after login the last state is restored.
>
> (E.g. what should XP do as long as the login-screen is shown, if there
> are 2 user accounts on the machine, one user has enabled and the other
> disabled num lock...).
>
> I think there is a registry key, which enabled the numlock state on
> login screen. Save this as "numlock.reg" and doubleklick on it:
>
> ----- numlock.reg -----
> Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
>
> [HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Control Panel\Keyboard]
> "InitialKeyboardIndicators"="2
> -----------------------
>
> Regards,
> Manuel

Thank you. I found instructions on Kelly's Korner website (can't
believe I didn't look there first). Since I've nver had the numlock off
on any of my systems, I thought this was peculiar to this one - never
occurred to me it might be a common issue.
--
Cynthia
I don't read Hotmail - To mail me: cynthiag at canadiensfan dot com

"Cynthia G" <cynthiag31DONTREAD@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Thank you. I found instructions on Kelly's Korner website (can't
>believe I didn't look there first). Since I've nver had the numlock off
>on any of my systems, I thought this was peculiar to this one - never
>occurred to me it might be a common issue.

Erm. There's "peculiar" and there's "peculiar". For those of us
for whom the AT keyboard was a new-fangled invention, numlock
*on* is peculiar. Many of us never got into the habit of using
the "T" cursor keys and the movement key-set that the AT keyboard
inserted between the asdfjkl; "typewriter" keyboard and the god
[aka IBM] mandated multi-fuction cursor/number keys. For us,
numlock on is abominable, and we have spent the time needed to
set numlock off as the boot-up state in the BIOS on every
80286-Pentiumwhatever machine we have ever bought/been assigned
to on our jobs.

Even in my declining years, it is always a psychic shock when
have to use someone else's computer [most often either a
bookkeeper/accounting machine or an engineer's machine] and find
myself seeing numbers when I hit page down when I open a
document. "That @_$&*U#_$ idiot has the numlock on."

ObWinkie: ;->
--
OJ III