Removing Athlon XP CPU

MJedi

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2001
Hello. How hard or easy is it to remove an Athlon XP CPU from the socket? I want to upgrade it from my current 1700+. I'm concerned that the thermal compound that came with the heatsink will damage the CPU when I remove it. I bought the CPU retail. Thanks.

it depends what heat sink you have. Most i noticed however you need 2 small flat head screw drivers. I don't recommend using your thumb.

Place one flat head against the metal hook like thing on the clip and press down hard and another screw driver where it is latched. Now you gotta jimmy it to get the heatsink off. That usually works works. Now if you're thumb can benchpress 250 pounds you might be able to use your thumb to hold the clip down while you jimmy the clip loose. :)

I don't know of any heatsink where you just pull the clip down and it just comes right off. Not so. Usuaully requiers one or two flat head screw drivers. And they need to be small enough to fit in the hook or where the clip is latched to jimmy it loose.

Pain in the butt if you ask me.

I like intels method a whole lot better. stupidly throw the heatsink on the processor and take this plastic thing and close it in and lift the levers and it's in. I like simple :) AMD should follow or improve on Intels method.

<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?id=9933" target="_new"> My Rig </A>

siliconjon

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2002
Yeah, what they said. You may have a stubborn Hsink, as many of them came with this silly heat puddy that almost welds itself to the cpu...if you put the Hsink on yer new one, take that crap off (the puddy), and replace it with some thermal paste. You'll get better cooling results.

Though I wonder what the optimal temperature operating range is for the AMD cpu's...after all, with semiconductors, the warmer they are, the less resistance they offer, hence the faster the current will flow...but there's always the colapse that occurs when the temp causes a wonderful chain reaction that results in a zzzttttt....pffft

:eek:

<A HREF="http://www.digit-life.com/articles/pentium4athlonxpthermalmanagement/" target="_new">http://www.digit-life.com/articles/pentium4athlonxpthermalmanagement/</A>

<font color=red>01010011010</font color=red>

Hoolio

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2002
I think the easiest way to remove a heatsink with the wax that melts everytime the pc is on. It is meant to fill microscopic gaps in the heatsink (like artic silver).

The wax melts each time the system is on, so turn on your system for a while and then shut it down and try to remove the heatsink. The wax should still be warm so the heatsink will be easier to remove. You will only have to undo the clips on the sides. goto the artic silver website and read the guide on how to use artic alumina. There are some good tips about how to remove a heatsink and what to do if you want to reuse such a heatsink.

SammyBoy

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2001
Wait... that doesn't sound right. The only thing I can think of is that the warmer the tempature, and therefore, the more "active" the electrons. That just means they vibrate more, maybe go to the next electron level, etc. Beyond that, I don't think that warmer=better conduction is correct. Though, I s'pose I could be wrong. That just throws me, since most superconductors are super-chilled. Doing that decreases resistence, not increases.

-SammyBoy

jankphil

Distinguished
May 17, 2002
well the thermal compound shouldn't be a problem, if it's the white goop that comes with the fan, it'll still be white goop when you pull it off, same with that black crap that comes on most fans now adays. the way i found out how to get the fan off is to get a flat head screwdriver, place it in the little latch near the cpu. Push down slightly on the screwdriver and pull the handle of the screwdriver toward the fan. It takes some practice, but once you do it you can usually take a fan off easily. I wouldn't be worried about removing the fan. The hard part is replacing the fan, If your not carefull you could put a nice dent into your motherboard or even destroy it. Word of advice, don't use a magnetic screwdriver. ;)

siliconjon

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2002
Them boogers are quite complex...there probably isn't a simple answer for that. The way semiconductor materials work, is heat reduces resistance (and past a certain point, a colapse since too much current will destroy the circuitry), but when they get so complex and minute, the game changes a bit, as the logic only operates correctly up to a certain amperage and clock...but I really should research it more before jumping too far into such an argument.

<font color=red>01010011010</font color=red>