Diskpart not working?

marc_moose

Honorable
Feb 22, 2013
Im trying to format my USB so that I can put win7 onto it in order to install fresh windows on a new PC. There are numerous videos and guides that tell me to use diskpart in order to format the USB. However, when I open CMD with administrator and type 'diskpart' it encounters an error; 'The service cannot be started , either because it is disabled or because it has no enabled devices associated with it. See the system event log for more information.'
If I open CMD normally and type diskpart (none administrator) it opens another CMD window for diskpart but immediately closes it, literally in a tenth of a second.
Can anyone help me with this? Can I make diskpart work somehow, or can I format the USB in another way (e.g. right click and format) that will allow it to let me install Win7 booting from the USB.

thanks

RealBeast

Titan
Use the MS USB install tool and instructions from HERE. The USB stick needs to be 4GB or larger.

Diskpart needs to be run from an elevated command prompt, and if not you may have a UAC problem running it depending on your user setting level.

marc_moose

Honorable
Feb 22, 2013
i have the MS USB install tool, but simply cannot open the diskpart, As I said it lets me open it but then it literally flashes the window open then closes it straight after :/

marc_moose

Honorable
Feb 22, 2013
Could I format it on a laptop which has Vista, then transfer it back to this win 7 computer, put win7 files on and make it work that way?

RealBeast

Titan
Yes, but your command prompt should work. If you are opening it from a shortcut, either open it from the actual executable called cmd in Windows\system32 with a right click run as admin, or create a new shortcut on the desktop by right click on desktop and select new, then shortcut and type cmd in the window and then next. Then right click run as admin.

marc_moose

Honorable
Feb 22, 2013
I've managed to format the USB on an old laptop running vista. Would it be possible to simply remove the USB now it's fully formatted, plug it into my win7 pc and drag the files on to it as usual? Or would removing it corrupt the format in anyway?

RealBeast

Titan
You can remove it from the Vista machine and attach to the Windows 7 or just do the whole process on the Vista machine, it won't corrupt it as long as it is not writing files. You can't just just drag and drop the files to make an installer USB disk though as you need to make it bootable, use the MS tool.

TRENDING THREADS