remember... P4, P4X333 & DDR,,, & now P4X400!!

G

<A HREF="http://www.tech-report.com/reviews/2002q2/via-p4x333/index.x?pg=1" target="_new">P4X333 Chipset Article #1</A>.
<A HREF="http://www17.tomshardware.com/mainboard/02q2/020514/index.html" target="_new">P4X333 Chipset Article #2</A>.
<A HREF="http://www.hexus.co.uk/review.php?review=383&page=1" target="_new">P4X333 Motherboard</A>.

<i> :smile: I like THG Interactive, Inc.</i>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
And it shows the i850E thoroughly thrashing it, with the SiS giving it a light spanking, not to mention that the chipset violates patent laws, and is made by a company that uses marketing tactics that violate US law, and has a long history of not supporting its products. So why should we buy this chipset that looses all the benchmarks except the one we've never heard of? Is that like downloading Metalica on Kaza, not because I like the music, but just to proove I can?

<font color=blue>At least half of all problems are caused by an insufficient power supply!</font color=blue>

IIB

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2001
COZ IT IS CHEAP... like duh ;)
I see the P4x333 won the majorty of the benchmarks...

This post is best viewed with common sense enabled<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by IIB on 07/09/02 03:33 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

G

LoL.

here the reviews about this P4X333 chipset & its related motherboard:

<A HREF="http://www.tech-report.com/reviews/2002q2/via-p4x333/index.x?pg=1" target="_new">P4X333 Chipset Article #1</A> from The Tech Report.
<A HREF="http://www17.tomshardware.com/mainboard/02q2/020514/index.html" target="_new">P4X333 Chipset Article #2</A> from TomsHardware.
<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/chipsets/showdoc.html?i=1623&p=8" target="_new">P4X333 Chipset Article #3</A> from AnandTech.
<A HREF="http://www.hexus.co.uk/review.php?review=383&page=1" target="_new">P4X333 Chipset Article #3</A> from Hexus.Net UK :smile: .
<A HREF="http://www.vr-zone.com/reviews/VIA/P4PB/" target="_new">P4X333 Chipset Article #4</A> from VR-Zone.

& the <A HREF="http://www.via.com.tw/en/apollo/p4x333.jsp" target="_new">P4X333 chipset specs</A> as <A HREF="http://www.viavpsd.com/product/P4PB400_spec.jsp?motherboardId=41" target="_new">The P4X400 Motherboard!!</A> from VIA.

moreover i would like to add that they haven't a licence because of the Intel TRUST which has of course done everything to squeeze a hard competitor which being to take over it in the chipsets market. their efficiency is in fact obvious because they are specialized from a long in DDR memory then Intel is Rambus related.

plz. don't mixed everything. High Technology, Marketing & whatsoever. This chipset & that mb are the best platform right now for a P4 with DDR memory inside. it's written on any test from any review on the topic. :lol:

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Review #1 they lost most of the benchmarks to the i850E and even the 645DX

Review #2 they weren't even compared to the i850E or the 645DX

Review #3 they won about half the application benchmarks against the 645DX, but the i850E wasn't even tested. And who is Hexus.Net, VIA's UK distributor?

Review #4 the 645DX and i850E both beat it in ALL TEST.

So what's the point? The 645DX is CHEAPER than the P4X333, is LEGAL, and is made by an HONEST company.

Or were you using the i845 as your only frame of reference? It certainly looks like the SiS 645DX is the best chipset for the P4 with DDR from most of those reviews.

<font color=blue>At least half of all problems are caused by an insufficient power supply!</font color=blue>

juin

Distinguished
May 19, 2001
I must add that i dont have hear horror storie like with via chipset.The article iside VIA at anadtech as prove to the how via is serious mobo are pile up on each others next to is Pepsie and with post-it the say all broken.

cheap, cheap. Think cheap, and you'll always be cheap.AMD version of semi conducteur industrie

juin

Distinguished
May 19, 2001
the number 1 reason you buy a intel CPU is to have a Intel chipset.

cheap, cheap. Think cheap, and you'll always be cheap.AMD version of semi conducteur industrie

G

sorry but i don't much follow you?

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Obviously some people love this company, the same types of people that fall into insidious cults, the people who would rather buy stollen goods off the street corner to try to "beat the system", the same kind of people who incourage gang mentality, the same kinds of people who are always looking for a revolution to support, no matter how bad the ideals of that revolution. These people will support VIA even with an inferior product in an effort to seek harm against Intel. These are the same kinds of people who spread rumors of all sorts of malicious intent, and rely on Yellow Journalism as their news source. To them, everything is a conspiracy.

juin

Distinguished
May 19, 2001
Linux -MS

Linux claim better stability (at lease the linux fan) sorry but WIN 2K is trouble free for me.It a political reason they see Bill gate as satan and must stop it to conquer the world.

Intel amd

As storie

Nvidia ati

When ati have release it 8500 many was saying that nvidia is dead ATI is the new king.But ATI is not a underdog so they are not in the same categorie.

Intel via

Everyone think here that intel was wrong with there lincense fee for there FSB.They have win the anti-trust and more i dont have read the detail.

David vs goliath

Everyone like david who is the underdog i am not like that i took the best with my engineer eye (to the limit of my knowlege)

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Intel vs VIA is more like the U.S. Government vs. Ted Kazinski, the fact that Ted was less powerfull than the U.S. Government didn't seem to gather him much support. David and Goliath need not apply to this situation unless Goliath would have been the good guy. Being the underdog doesn't make you right.

juin

Distinguished
May 19, 2001
Goliath would have been the good guy. Being the underdog doesn't make you right.

Maybe not but it help a lot.Big corporation have bad reputation like EXON true are not.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
And Hitler rose to power on that same "Root for the underdog" mentality. The <i>true</i> underdog in this fight, so to speak, is SiS.

juin

Distinguished
May 19, 2001
SIS use A3 stepping very often they just been lucky this year maybe next they will srew up but most will forgot.
VIA have trouble with 1/5 chipset 1/2 driver compare to intel.I have grow the number a bit, maybe

bront

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2001
Crash, I will say, that it's nice to see that they finaly redesigned the PCI bus, and hopefully that will eliminate any remaining stability issues and bandwidth issues.

VIA has been making a huge effort to make a better product than in years past, and you have to give them credit for that.

English is phun.

diabloskh

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2002
Has anyone noticed in the scores that the Athlon seems to win out on all the less publicly known tests. Why is this? Is it possible that the other tests are biased in their code towards an intel chipset. I think I will do a little code browsing later tonight. Oh and VIA is like a gamble. You can either get a system and get good bios versions and it runs beautifully or sometimes you go bankrupt and wait for a good via bios to come out. But I like my AMD systems, one is a k6-2 500mhz that my mom uses for office work and I play Q3 on occassionally, and my system is an 1.2 ghz scsi raid configuration. I know the processor is falling behind the times at 1.2 ghz but running scsi really peps up my system.

bront

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2001
It's likely optimised for the P4, especialy when Intel donates money to several of the benchmarking products. Doesn't mean they're fixed, but they could be streamlined for the P4 (You can code for that).

English is phun.

diabloskh

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2002
Ummm...you just compared two computer companies, to a guy that affected a few hundred peoples lives with terror and a government that has killed 15000 people in the last month. Are you trying to say that both Intel and VIA are evil. That doesn't leave us any options.

Quetzacoatl

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2002
Well, because RDR currently offers more memory bandwidth with DC 16-bit and SC 23-bit. DDR single channel doesn't provide enough memory bandwidth to max out the Pentium 4's bandwidth of 4.2 Gb/s. DC DDR for the Pentium 4 won't be out till late this year, probably with the p4x666 or Intel's Granitebay chipset. Both have their advantages, but RDR is running out of time.

"When there's a will, there's a way."

Oh, big oops, meant to say SC (single channel) 32-bit...my bad!<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Quetzacoatl on 07/09/02 10:33 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

bront

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2001
SC 23-bit
Ooh, sign me up for the 23 bit CPU to go with that mem ;)

Seriously, RDRam has several nice new features and it at it's infancy, while SDRam is begining to show it's age. DDRII might breath some life back into it however.

English is phun.

Quetzacoatl

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2002
The newer 6 layer RDR modules are slowly creeping down in price, even PC-1066 is starting to show up a bit more. Still, remember way back when a stick of PC-800 RDR was like over $1200 for 128MB? Yeah, a few years ago...the classical Pentium 4 1.5Ghz willamette...*shudders in digust*...so much for cutting edge Intel

"When there's a will, there's a way."