Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Windows 7 Going into Repair 50% of Boots

Last response: in Windows 7
a b D Laptop
a b $ Windows 7
March 6, 2013 5:18:36 PM

A friend has a Dell laptop (Inspiron 1545) with Windows 7 that half of the time boots without a problem, but on about half the boot attempts it detects a problem and goes into recovery, and 30 minutes later boots OK. I haven't got the laptop but will have it soon. Is there a known cause of this problem? My first thought is to take the HDD out and back it up, then scan it for viruses as an external HDD to my system, then, assuming it is clean, put it back into the laptop and go from there.

Any ideas where I would start? It's been a while since I've booted up a Windows 7 install disc, but I think there's a repair process I can try, or perhaps a System Restore would work? Thanks for any help anyone can provide.

More about : windows repair boots

a b D Laptop
a b $ Windows 7
March 6, 2013 5:40:50 PM

Because of the regularity of re occurrence I think it's a bad HDD. I think it would be unusual for a piece of malwear to do something so conspicuous to tip you off to it's presence but who knows. I would try scanning it before removing the HDD. Of course the gold standard would be if you had a known good HDD you could replace the old one with and load W7 into it.
m
l
a b D Laptop
a b $ Windows 7
March 6, 2013 5:43:13 PM

I would run a scan disk.
m
l
Related resources
a b D Laptop
a b $ Windows 7
March 6, 2013 5:43:33 PM

The other possibility is that it's a driver that's not playing nicely. Try a system repair, and take a look at all the drivers.
m
l

Best solution

March 6, 2013 6:03:44 PM

mbreslin1954 said:
A friend has a Dell laptop (Inspiron 1545) with Windows 7 that half of the time boots without a problem, but on about half the boot attempts it detects a problem and goes into recovery, and 30 minutes later boots OK. I haven't got the laptop but will have it soon. Is there a known cause of this problem? My first thought is to take the HDD out and back it up, then scan it for viruses as an external HDD to my system, then, assuming it is clean, put it back into the laptop and go from there.

Any ideas where I would start? It's been a while since I've booted up a Windows 7 install disc, but I think there's a repair process I can try, or perhaps a System Restore would work? Thanks for any help anyone can provide.

Most Dells will allow you to run built-in diagnostics by pressing a key during startup when you first see the Dell logo screen. Usually F12. I would start there, making sure to test the hard drive. The symptoms you describe is most common in systems where the hard drive is about to give up the ghost.
a b D Laptop
a b $ Windows 7
March 6, 2013 8:50:03 PM

Best answer selected by mbreslin1954.
m
l
a b D Laptop
a b $ Windows 7
March 6, 2013 8:51:00 PM

Thanks Ram1009 and bananaman8910, the built-in Dell diagnostics identified the hard drive as being bad, replete with official error code! Thanks again!
m
l
March 6, 2013 10:47:29 PM

Does this happen when you shut down the laptop properly?

I am just guessing here, but it might be running out of battery while asleep and causing it to run start up repair as it has not 'shut down properly'.
m
l
a b D Laptop
a b $ Windows 7
March 7, 2013 12:19:04 AM

No, the Dell diagnostics clearly came up with a bad hard disk, error code 2000-0142. It beeped at me with the error flashing continuously until I shut it down. Thanks anyway!
m
l
!