PrimaCoRd

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2002
Me and my friend are making a new gaming rig for him and here are the specs
320 watt power supply
asus a7v333
athlon xp2200+
radeon 8500, thats all that really matters for this

anyways when i start up the computer with only those connected, nothing shows up on the screen. i rechecked to see if the motherboard was grounded and yes it correctly is. since its an a7v333 it doesn't beep but tells me stuff instead. it told me that it Failed CPU Test. i doubt that the cpu is installed wrong because the guy at the store did it. i am thinking maybe the power supply is at fault. what do you guys think?

LED

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2002
Did you ever try to change the bios?.....it might be corrupted. Flash the bios w/ the newest version by floppy. You can do that by setting the board to jumper mode, and set all dip switches accordingly. Then boot to DOS w/ the BIOS file on a floppy. But before any of that, clear the CMOS and try to boot....that may fix it.

I sold my sig for $50.

LED

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2002
And when you say "grounded" what do you mean? That board SHOULDNT be grounded. In fact grounding that motherboard will give you the error message you are recieving. Make sure there is no metal touching conductive surfaces on the board......screws, standoffs....etc.

I sold my sig for $50.

Hoolio

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2002
Give the PSU connector a check, I have had problems because the +3.3V supply on the PSU MB cdonnector was not pushed into the plasic connector properly, so the CPU was unpowered.

slickstaa

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2002
check and make sure that the core of the cpu isn't cracked.
It can be fairly easy to do and those sound like classic symptoms to me.
<font color=red>good luck!! </font color=red>

<font color=blue> "If you dont have it, that's why you need it!" </font color=blue>

CMRvet

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2001
320 watt power supply
asus a7v333
athlon xp2200+
radeon 8500, thats all that really matters for this

anyways when i start up the computer with <b>only those </b>connected, nothing shows up on the screen
Did you make the test without RAM memory installed or you just forgot to mention about it?

If so, try the PSU in another system first. (I had the same problem last week, just a new PSU and everything is working now)

<b>(<font color=yellow>as good as it looks</font color=yellow>)</b>

Brooker

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2002
When you say the screen stays balnk do you mean you don't get anyhting not even post, but the fan starts up. If this is the case and have you tried to boot from a floppy, it could the bios is dead. If you do get a post message and you can get into the bios then try any graphics card that you know works. Just trial and error from there.

TRENDING THREADS