compaq server and CPU's

I have two compaq DL 360's each of which have only one processor, I've looked at the price of buying CPUs from compaq ouch. Anyway I plan on harvesting the one CPU (it is the same sever) which would leave me needing to get 2 more CPU's. The motherboard can take upto a p111 933 what I need to know can I put a standard p111 933 in or to get dual up is there a dual pro cpu like in the athlon. I really don't want to pay 560 a cpu from compaq when I can get the thing elsewhere for about $120.

Any help gratefully accepted.
4 answers Last reply
More about compaq server
  1. You need two PIII-S CPU's. Most PIII's meet the -S spec for dual CPU's. You should be able to support the 1000EB if you can support the 933, because the multiplier is built in on all PIII's.

<font color=blue>At least half of all problems are caused by an insufficient power supply!</font color=blue>
  2. <A HREF="http://www.pricewatch.com" target="_new">www.pricewatch.com</A>

click CPU and find your speed

You are limited to what your mind can perceive.
  3. Many thanks for the help, interesting about the 1 gig as Compaq were adament that the max was 933, even if they had limited this frequency in there bios; is it true to suppose that the 1 gig chip would just operate at 933, I ask this as 1 gig chips are easier to find than the 933s.
  4. No, a 1GHz processor would operate at 1GHz, because it has a 7.5x multiplier and runs at 133MHz bus speed, the same bus speed as the 933 (which uses a 7x multiplier). The multiplier is locked on the CPU. The only way it wouldn't work is if the BIOS is purposely bugged not to support it. The only other issue is to make sure you get SMP capable processors, which most are.

<font color=blue>At least half of all problems are caused by an insufficient power supply!</font color=blue>
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Compaq Servers