[campaign] Rogue?

Last response: in Video Games
July 5, 2005 4:34:55 PM

(a) Do we need another Rogue (NPC) in the party?
(b) Will Laszlo let us have one?

I was thinking of someone along the following lines:

Str 8 0
Dex 18 16
Con 12 4
Int 15 6 +1 (4th level)
Wis 14 6
Cha 8 0
32

Then make him/her of a race with a +2 to Dex (Several elves; halfling; maybe
an LA 0 race from the monster manual) or +2 int (primarily for Search and
Disable Device; Grey Elf).

Fort 1+(con)
Ref 4+(dex)
Will 1+(wis)

Skills 8+2

Appraise
Disable Device
Escape Artist
Hide
Listen
Move silently
Open Lock
Sleight of Hand
Spot

or possibly substitute Tumble, Knowlege (local), or Balance for Sleight of
Hand.

Equipment would include Masterwork thieves' tools (+2 to Open Lock and Disable
Device); are magical versions possible, and if so, how expensive?

More about : campaign rogue

Anonymous
July 5, 2005 4:34:56 PM

David Alex Lamb wrote:
> (a) Do we need another Rogue (NPC) in the party?
> (b) Will Laszlo let us have one?

No NPCs in the party pre-adventure. You guys want an NPC, recruit one.
There will be _plenty_ of opportunities to do so.

However, you won't get to create him (or even see his character sheet).
You want a specific character build, you're going to have to make a PC.
:)

Also, be prepared for the fact that you guys are _special_; recruited
NPCs will usually have much worse ability scores than you (25 point buy
or elite array for most).

Laszlo
Anonymous
July 5, 2005 4:34:56 PM

David Alex Lamb wrote:
> In article <1120568533.942632.36110@g49g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
> <laszlo_spamhole@freemail.hu> wrote:
> >No NPCs in the party pre-adventure. You guys want an NPC, recruit one.
> >There will be _plenty_ of opportunities to do so.
>
> For now we don't officially know we need one, so this will have to wait.
>
> >However, you won't get to create him (or even see his character sheet).
> >You want a specific character build, you're going to have to make a PC.
> >:)
>
> Yeah, but that has this really hard first step "1. Recruit a new player".
> Unless we get to run multiple PCs, but most campaigns I know don't do that.

No. As a matter of fact, though, we're already pushing the limit of the
"ideal" number of PCs. I'd really like it if there were 4 or 5 of you,
no more. With 6 or more players, things really start slowing down, and
it becomes more difficult for me to help make things fun and personally
compelling for everyone.

So far, there's you (David Alex Lamb), Justisaur, tussock, Billy Yank,
and Decaying Atheist. I know Werebat is considering joining, and I
wouldn't be surprised if others ended up interested, as well.

So we'll see. For now, I'd strongly suggest just the five of you. Later
on, who knows.

Laszlo
July 5, 2005 4:34:56 PM

What about a Rogue w/ 18 in Dex & Int, with those 10 skills +
Knowledge(local) 3 & Profession(bartending)1 ?
Anonymous
July 5, 2005 6:08:54 PM

In article <1120568533.942632.36110@g49g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
<laszlo_spamhole@freemail.hu> wrote:
>No NPCs in the party pre-adventure. You guys want an NPC, recruit one.
>There will be _plenty_ of opportunities to do so.

For now we don't officially know we need one, so this will have to wait.

>However, you won't get to create him (or even see his character sheet).
>You want a specific character build, you're going to have to make a PC.
>:)

Yeah, but that has this really hard first step "1. Recruit a new player".
Unless we get to run multiple PCs, but most campaigns I know don't do that.
July 6, 2005 8:51:58 AM

David Alex Lamb wrote:
> (a) Do we need another Rogue (NPC) in the party?

I have no idea what we have in the party now. My Rog/Brb can cover
one more skill by bumping another couple points into Int if things are
tight, but I really need to see what skills the base 4 (5?) PCs have got
covered first.
Hell, I don't think everyone's even fixed on class selection yet.

PS. Put the [Campain] thing at the end of the thread subject if you
want groups.google to stop messing with it.

--
tussock

Aspie at work, sorry in advance.
Anonymous
July 10, 2005 12:27:53 PM

David Alex Lamb wrote:
> (a) Do we need another Rogue (NPC) in the party?
> (b) Will Laszlo let us have one?

Laszlo will obviously let you *hire* NPCs. The only question
is loyalty (and availability, but if your PCs are 4th level,
a hireling ought to be 3rd or 4th level, and low-level
Rogues are common in the D&D world).

> I was thinking of someone along the following lines:
>
> Str 8 0
> Dex 18 16
> Con 12 4
> Int 15 6 +1 (4th level)
> Wis 14 6
> Cha 8 0
> 32

I was thinking roleplayed interviews (made complicated by
the fact that d20 is a level-based system - and class-based
too (what if a Ranger shows up for the job interview? How
can you make sure that he is a proper Rogue and not a
Ranger????)), and a character sheet hidden behind the GM screen.

But I'm not Laszlo.

> Then make him/her of a race with a +2 to Dex (Several elves; halfling; maybe
> an LA 0 race from the monster manual) or +2 int (primarily for Search and
> Disable Device; Grey Elf).
[...]

However seeking a Rogue hireling who is either Elf or
Halfling strikes me as reasonable, although some of the
disqualified NPCs might complain about species'ism.

--
Peter Knutsen
sagatafl.org