my scripts dont seem to work

tdean

Distinguished
May 4, 2001
we have an nt server and a 2k server with 98 and 2k clients. i "thought" i set up the logon scripts right, but i guess not. i would like their folders to automatically be mapped when they logon. im doing the netuse command... where do i put them after? the 98 clients arent mapping at all... they map to the "students" share... not all the way to their own. anyone know if this can be done?

....the crows seemed to be calling him, thought caw....

tdean

Distinguished
May 4, 2001
hi jlanka.. thanks for your help again. im not sure what you mena by "interactively", but heres the scenario. theres no error, the scripts just dont seem to do anything... kinda lik eim putting them in the wrong folder or something. i have them in the sysvol folder, sub folder scripts. basically, i want the script to run when people log on. i have added it to their profile. heres one:
net use u: \\ndafs\faculty\%username%
net use p: \\notredame\apps

the ndafs is the 2k server and we have some apps on notredame that they need access to. this script doesnt work at all for the win98 users. it seems to be working for the 2k users though. am i doing this right?

jlanka

Splendid
Mar 16, 2001
by interactively, I mean just try to run them from a DOS prompt. Report back the results from all flavors of machine.

<i>It's always the one thing you never suspected.</i>

tdean

Distinguished
May 4, 2001
ok, well i dont want to sound like a real idiot here, but how do i do that? should i put the batch file on a floppy or type the path to the location on the server.

tdean

Distinguished
May 4, 2001
heres one from a floppy from a win98 client. i'll do the other in the morning.
C:\WINDOWS>a:

A:\>tdean.bat

A:\>net use l: \\ndafs\faculty\

Error 50: You attempted an operation that cannot be performed from your
computer or that is not supported on the specified server. Make sure you are
using the correct server for the command or task that you want to perform. If
the problem persists, contact your network administrator.

A:\>net use z: \\ndafs\faculty\campus ministry

Error 50: You attempted an operation that cannot be performed from your
computer or that is not supported on the specified server. Make sure you are
using the correct server for the command or task that you want to perform. If
the problem persists, contact your network administrator.

....the crows seemed to be calling him, thought caw....<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by tdean on 03/05/03 03:24 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

jlanka

Splendid
Mar 16, 2001
are you using active directory? If so, check out this <A HREF="http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;en-us;q259630" target="_new">KB article</A> or if not, maybe <A HREF="http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;en-us;q134595" target="_new">this one </A> will be of help. Just a shot

<i>It's always the one thing you never suspected.</i>

tdean

Distinguished
May 4, 2001
i am using ad on the 2k sevrer. i have an nt server set up as wins for the win98 clients. i will check out those articles.. thank you.

tdean

Distinguished
May 4, 2001
hmmm... does that first article suggest that i should put a unc path in the script for win 98 clients?