Asus Shows Teases Eee Keyboard Again at CeBit

Status
Not open for further replies.

jhansonxi

Distinguished
May 11, 2007
I would rather throw out the average $5 keyboard than clean it. At $50 I would vacuum it once or twice before doing so. At $400 I would be rather worried about spills but I guess that could be said for most portables.

I can't really see it being used in a home-theater scenario. If I had a PC DVR it would have a large amount of storage and be running all the time; probably a server in a closet. While the Eee Keyboard could be used as a client I would rather just use a Mini-ITX box next to the display and control it with a RF remote or from a laptop.

There might be some practical uses in industry but otherwise it's just for gadget freaks.

mdillenbeck

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2008
I, on the other hand, can see a use for this. I'd put one in my guest room with a monitor as a web browsing PC, and maybe one in the kitchen (great for looking up recipes).

My Eee PC can handle hulu and youtube most of the time, so it could also be used to stream compressed video streams - a plus.

However, it is too underpowered to become my PVR. For that, I'd have to stick to a stronger machine with dedicated hardware.

Overall, I think it is a good idea - it creates a niche in the market.

Will I buy one right away? Not right now - my budget is tight and I am waiting to see the final specs on the T91.

anarchy4sale

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2008
I could easily see this as being used to something hooked up for guest spending the night, just hook it up to the HDTV and let em check their mail. I dunno, I dont like people using my main computer.

zodiacfml

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2008
the device will be competing with netbooks and cheap laptops.
the only advantage against those this if the user insists on a standard size keyboard and huge monitor for simple web browsing stuff.

iron-e

Distinguished
May 2, 2008
This would be perfect for my living room. I have an lcd hdtv on the wall. It would be nice to occasionally be able to sit down with a simple device and check email, surf the web, or look at pics with the family with out having to go into the office or hide a pc and wireless keyboard in the living room.

$600 is getting a bit pricy for that kind of functionality and specs, but I'd snatch it up in a hearbeat for $400 with the wirelss hdmi.

sublifer

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2008
this is an interesting idea for the htpc... it'd be nice to be able to swap out your DVD's of BR-D's from the couch instead of getting up

joebob2000

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2006
Is there a real advantage to having all the processing go on in your lap? I don't see how this could hope to displace more traditional high end remotes or wireless keyboards. Unless it can decode 1080p video it won't hold a candle to a purpose built HTPC, and who wants to spend $600 on an oversize "remote control".

Status
Not open for further replies.