Computer Randomly Restarts After Power Outage/Surge

lcf7c

Honorable
Mar 6, 2013
Hey all,

I've been searching for a solution to this all morning. I've found similar issues, but I wanted to give my specifics.

We had a snow storm roll through here last night and it was a relatively heavy, wet snow. I woke up this morning to tree branches falling and what sounded like a couple transformers overloading. The power surged in my apartment a few times until we finally lost power completely.

At the time of these surges, my computer was in sleep mode and connected to a surge protector. Upon the restoration of power, I noticed that my computer started up much more sluggishly than usual. Things seemed to even out and finally get back to normal. At some point I started to play a game and the computer restarted itself after about 15 minutes. The issue did not persist. A few hours later I was playing a different game for a longer period with the issue seemingly having gone away. However, again the computer randomly restarted itself.

I looked at Event Viewer and I found these two identical events:

- System

- Provider

[ Name] Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power
[ Guid] {331C3B3A-2005-44C2-AC5E-77220C37D6B4}

EventID 41

Version 2

Level 1

Task 63

Opcode 0

Keywords 0x8000000000000002

- TimeCreated

[ SystemTime] 2013-03-06T18:39:38.726009200Z

EventRecordID 9770

Correlation

- Execution

[ ProcessID] 4
[ ThreadID] 8

Channel System

Computer

- Security

[ UserID]

- EventData

BugcheckCode 0
BugcheckParameter1 0x0
BugcheckParameter2 0x0
BugcheckParameter3 0x0
BugcheckParameter4 0x0
SleepInProgress false
PowerButtonTimestamp 0

This PC is a new build, approximately a month old. There is one other instance of this exact error, but apparently that one was during sleep mode and I did not even notice until I viewed the event log. I have been using the PC with no problems until this weather apparently blew the power to my apartment.

PC specs:
Intel i5-3570K CPU
Intel DH77EB Mobo
NVDIA GeForce 9800 GTX+ GPU
400W PSU
8GB DDR3 Corsair Vengeance RAM running at 1333MHZ
Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit

Ran Memory Checker and it didn't find any issues.

Could my PSU have been damaged by the surges? Or my surge protector to which I have plugged in my computer?

Could my PSU have been damaged by the surges? Or my surge protector to which I have plugged in my computer?

I am pretty sure the psu is damaged, since you didn't put any brand on it: it's probably a cheap one.

But it might of also damaged other thing in the process.

1st thing run a chkdsk /f/r to look for errors on the drive (cmd)

2nd download hard disk sentinel to look at the hd condition.

if everything is ok on that side, you could test another psu.

Also look for electical damage on the mobo.

groundrat

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2012
Surge suppressors are not enough to keep a computer from being damaged because, although they protect from most surges, they do nothing to protect from brown out.

Get an UPS.

And do everything that Dextermat said.

lcf7c

Honorable
Mar 6, 2013
Thanks for the replies. I should add that this only happened twice and both times I was in a game. Significant run time outside of a game and it hasn't happened again.

I ran chkdsk and HDD Sentinel and both of those checked out fine. What would electrical damage on the motherboard look like? Would it be readily apparent?

The PSU is one that was included with the case that I bought for this build. It is Rosewill brand for an ATX mobo, 12V. It was able to handle all of my components up until this point, so if there is a problem it is due to recent damage from this apparent brown out.

Thanks again for the replies, I'll keep the situation posted if further symptoms arise.