Is ot ok to put an XP

blah

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
1600+ into Abit KT7A mobo (KT133A chipset).
do not want to order one and then find out it is no go...
As I know mobo can take up to 1400 MHZ, so theoretically should be fine, but need some super-duper experienced, extra intelligent input.

..this is very useful and helpful place for information...

blah

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
one of them money (do not want to spend 200+ on new board and DDR RAM, and the chip is only $66 on Newegg), the other I am waiting and saving for 3 Gig P4 anyway, so while on the go would be nice to have a little speed boost for little money. I would just put Athlon 1400 into it, but thought maybe XP+ would work fine, it is a little faster and "smarter" at the same clock anyway.

baldurga

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2002
Well, well, well, have you think that maybe ABIT has this information?

I suggest next time you first look at the website of the manufacturer. Here is your response:

http://www.abit.com.tw/abitweb/webjsp/english/faq_letter.jsp?pDate=2002/01/10&pQUESTION=Does+ABIT+KG7+/+KT7A+/+KT7E+mainboard+support+AMD+Athlon+XP+processors?

Or go to ABIT, products, KT7A and then its FAQ. It's there. Ok, I will put you even easier. Extract from the answer:

"ABIT KT7A / KT7A-RAID V1.3 mainboard is hardware compatible (ready) and can support AMD Athlon XP processor via BIOS update"

Make sure is V1.3, because older versions are not compatible.

DIY: read, buy, test, learn, reward yourself!

blah

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
How would I know what V1.x my mobo is, thank you for your help anyway, I'll try XP.

blah

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Never mind, in System Information it sais : "BIOS Version - v1.0 ~ v1.2", so there is no go for XP, heh, that was easy, sigh.

blah

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
It's all good, but the question remains the same: "will it be ok to put XP 1600+ into the mobo as it has the same 1400 MHZ frequency as an Athlon (pre XP) which board supports easily (v1.3 supports higher MHZ which I do not need), will board see the difference in microstructure of CPUs not MHZ?"

You see what I am asking?

baldurga

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2002
Ok, let me see if I understand you.

Your question is not about if the mobo support the frecuency (this answer is yes, right?), but if it will see the differences in core, isn't it?

I'm not an expert in this field, but it seems to me that the BIOS flash will allow to recognize the XP and to "configure" accordingly. Probably, flashing the BIOS is just part of the puzzle, because some improvements has to be implemented in the mobo in order to run perfectly and "configure" itself. I suppose that's the reason versions prior to 1.3, even if you flash it, won't work.

DIY: read, buy, test, learn, reward yourself!

baldurga

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2002