Price this ring

Spinner

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2002

Please suggest a price for the following ring under 3.5 ruleset (it's from
an old 2nd ed. module):

"Ring of Protection":
with Defelection +3 to AC
Resistance +4 to saves vs illusions and enchantments only

Spinner

Spinner wrote:
> Please suggest a price for the following ring under 3.5 ruleset (it's from
> an old 2nd ed. module):
>
> "Ring of Protection":
> with Defelection +3 to AC
> Resistance +4 to saves vs illusions and enchantments only

Well that's 2 abilities in one item, and the 2nd isn't normally in a
ring. A ring of protection +3 is 18k. Now the hard part, the 2nd
ability, it's resistance, so it's not going to stack with cloaks of the
same, but We'll start with that pricing, a cloak of resistance +4 is
16k, however this is versus 2 specific schools of magic, so that leaves
a heck of a lot out. I'd say maybe 1/4th the cost, so say 4k. Now
according the dmg, you double the most expensive part's cost, and add
50% on additional dissimilar parts, so that'd be 36k +6k= 42k.

Now that seems a bit outrageous, it's not that useful, it doesn't
really take the place of a cloak of resistance and a ring of
protection. I'd leave the 18k alone, and just add the 2nd part at
+50%, so call it 24k, that seems about right.

- Justisaur

This is a Ring of Protection +3 except it gives +4 Resistance vs
illusions & enchantments?
I'd price that as 2,000 gp above a standard Ring +3
but is that fair?

Spinner wrote:
> Please suggest a price for the following ring under 3.5 ruleset (it's from
> an old 2nd ed. module):
>
> "Ring of Protection":
> with Defelection +3 to AC
> Resistance +4 to saves vs illusions and enchantments only
>
> Spinner

+3 Deflection to AC: 3 x 3 x 2000 = 18000

+4 Resistance to Saves: 4 x 4 x 1000 = 16000
It's only illusions and enchantments but that's still a lot of the
spells that you normally have to save against. Maybe half the price? So
that's 8000, but then add 50% for a second ability on a slotted item -
so 12000.

Total = 30000.

It's possible I'm being a bit mean on only halfing the price of the
resistance ability though.

> "Ring of Protection":
> with Defelection +3 to AC
> Resistance +4 to saves vs illusions and enchantments only

Over in Psionics they have this item:

Crystal Mask of Mindarmor
A crystal mask of mindarmor grants the wearer a +4 insight bonus on all
Will saving throws.

Price 10,667 gp.

That's +4 squared times 2K for an insight bonus, and then divided by
three, presumably since it only applies to 1/3 of the saving throws.

I'd be inclined to treat the resistance as a +4 to Will saves, either
just for the purposes of pricing, or possibly as a change to the item.

This would make it worth 5333 gp, or 8000 gp as the 2nd power of an
item.

The total price comes to 26000gp. A bit more expensive than a Cloak of
Resistance +5, but a bit cheaper than a helm of telepathy.

Most of the other responses seem to be around this ballpark too.

Cheers,
Roger Carbol

In article <3ivql7FngbkhU1@individual.net>, bprentic@uwo.ca says...

> "Ring of Protection":
> with Defelection +3 to AC
> Resistance +4 to saves vs illusions and enchantments only

Deflection +3 is 18000 gp.

Resistance +4 is 16000 gp. Say half for limited circumstance, although
you could perhaps lower it further since it's only two schools, but even
more importantly since a character using this ring is likely to get a +1
or +2 resistance item (one cannot really afford to go around with +4 vs.
illusion and enchantment and +0 vs. everything else), so the net benefit
will probably be less than +4. So 6000 gp (16000 x0.5 x0.75)? Multiply
by 1.5 for a secondary effect for 9000 gp.

So 27000 gp.

However, I'd probably prefer some kind of non-resistance bonus to saves
(probably insight or sacred, depending on desired flavour) and price it
without that additional reduction, so 18k + 16k * 0.5 * 1.5 = 30000 gp.

--
Jasin Zujovic
jzujovic@inet.hr

Spinner wrote:

> Please suggest a price for the following ring under 3.5 ruleset (it's from
> an old 2nd ed. module):
>
> "Ring of Protection":
> with Defelection +3 to AC
> Resistance +4 to saves vs illusions and enchantments only

I'll bid 3 Gp for it!

Spinner

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2002

>> Please suggest a price for the following ring under 3.5 ruleset (it's
>> from
>> an old 2nd ed. module):
>>
>> "Ring of Protection":
>> with Defelection +3 to AC
>> Resistance +4 to saves vs illusions and enchantments only
>>

> Well that's 2 abilities in one item, and the 2nd isn't normally in a
> ring. A ring of protection +3 is 18k. Now the hard part, the 2nd
> ability, it's resistance, so it's not going to stack with cloaks of the
> same, but We'll start with that pricing, a cloak of resistance +4 is
> 16k, however this is versus 2 specific schools of magic, so that leaves
> a heck of a lot out. I'd say maybe 1/4th the cost, so say 4k. Now
> according the dmg, you double the most expensive part's cost, and add
> 50% on additional dissimilar parts, so that'd be 36k +6k= 42k.

I think that might be a bit off (you aware of the errata)? I believe you
just leave the most expensive alone and add 50% onto the second (as you did
below).

> Now that seems a bit outrageous, it's not that useful, it doesn't
> really take the place of a cloak of resistance and a ring of
> protection. I'd leave the 18k alone, and just add the 2nd part at
> +50%, so call it 24k, that seems about right.

Exactly how I priced it.

Spinner

TRENDING THREADS