Removing XP from dual boot

hade123

Distinguished
May 7, 2010
Hey guys, I have winxp & 7 installed on 2 hdd's, w7 detected xp on the 2nd disk and set up dual boot. I've been using 7 for a few days now and I don't really need xp anymore. Can I just format the xp partition to remove xp or should I remove the xp entry from the boot manager as well?

Jonmor68

Distinguished
Unless you realy need the extra space I suggest you wait a couple of weeks to make sure all your old programs and any old hardware are working and you have no further use for XP.
If you are sure all is well, change the boot entry, disconnect your XP drive and boot in with the W7 dvd and run the repair startup files utility.
Once the bootup files are restored to your W7 drive, you can reconnect the XP drive and format it and get rid of XP.

rollojarvis

Distinguished
May 30, 2010
be very careful, this is what i have just done, and now i cant boot into anything at all, XP and 7 use different boot entries, and depending on how you set it up, you might not be able to boot at all if you format your XP drive.... well, thats what happened with me anyway, although i did have 2 partitions on the same drive, it might be different if you have two drives.

JessicaD

Distinguished
May 4, 2009

If you remove Windows XP from boot, you will need to reconfigure your bootmgr to ensure that your computer will continue to boot into Windows 7.

In which order did you install your OS's?

Jessica
Microsoft Windows Client Team

Jonmor68

Distinguished

That's why I told him to disconnect the XP drive first and then run startup repair.

JessicaD

Distinguished
May 4, 2009

He had already said Start Up repair did not work -- if it doesn't work from your suggestion either, he has few possible solutions left.

Jonmor68

Distinguished
We are repying to hade123.
Where does it say that, here is his post:
"Hey guys, I have winxp & 7 installed on 2 hdd's, w7 detected xp on the 2nd disk and set up dual boot. I've been using 7 for a few days now and I don't really need xp anymore. Can I just format the xp partition to remove xp or should I remove the xp entry from the boot manager as well?"

He just wants to remove XP which is on a seperate drive, no mention of trying anything.

JessicaD

Distinguished
May 4, 2009
Was XP installed first? The problem here is that Windows Vista / 7 uses a bootloader while XP uses a boot.ini file. We just need to make sure that your boot config is not dependent on a boot.ini file if you are going to remove XP.

Can you disconnect the XP drive and try to boot?