Laptop for programming

Status
Not open for further replies.

salmonfin

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2011
1. What is your budget?

£1200

2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?

15"

3. What screen resolution do you want?

1900x1200, preferably.

4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?

Portable as I will be taking it into college.

5. How much battery life do you need?

Not too much of an issue, but, 4-5 hours ideally.

6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?

I would really only be playing games like LoL, TF2, CS:S and maybe some WoW eventually. Medium to high settings, if possible.

7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo/Video editing, Etc.)

The laptop will mostly be used for programming. Java, Android SDK, Apple SDK etc.

8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need?

750GB+

9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links.

10. How long do you want to keep your laptop?

For the duration of my course so at least 3 years.

11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ?

DVD ROM

12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.

Not a Dell. I use them a lot and generally just don't like them.

13. What country do you live in?

England

14. Please tell us any additional information if needed.

I have been considering a MacBook Pro 15" 2.2Ghz version. With student discount I can get this for £1550 direct, I've heard people tell me they're a lot better for presentations (which I will also have to do) due to the software they come with and are ideal for the Apple SDK which I will be using too.

Thanks! I appreciate any responses.

well if you'll be using apple sdk then def can't go wrong on an apple platform for testing, but as you can see yourself it's quite far above your budget.

I'd double check if all those dev suites can run on linux, because typically that's the preferred development OS.

Anyhow, for that much money you can get a great gaming laptop.

Take a look at Asus, Sager/Clevo, MSI, Toshiba-Qosmio series.

I'm not 100% sure on prices in england but I believe they are reasonably close to what we have here in US

Status
Not open for further replies.