1. What is your budget? From $1,000 - $2,000 USD. (Realize it is a large gap and most answers will probably be towards the higher end but I am flexible for the right laptop).
2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering? Anywhere from 14" - 18"; size & appearance are not important.
3. What screen resolution do you want? 720 or 1080
4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop? Desktop replacement.
5. How much battery life do you need? Unimportant.
6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. WoW, D3, BF3 (possibly), SWTOR; preferably on high or medium
7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? Gaming only (have another laptop for other activities)
8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need? Barely use 1/4 of my 250gb HD I have atm so whatever the minimum capacity is these days (500?) should be more than sufficient.
9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links. Open to whatever.
10. How long do you want to keep your laptop? Ideally 3 years.
11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ? DVD Rom is sufficient.
12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons. Previously had a Dell XPS M1730 that worked great... on the rare occasion that it worked at all. I'm fed up with the computer and the warranty is now expired so moving on. Open to Dell/Alienware (grudgingly so) but wouldn't mind another company.
13. What country do you live in? USA
14. Please tell us any additional information if needed. Gaming, gaming, gaming. Ideally for WoW & D3 atm and hopefully current enough to last awhile down the road. Mainly looking for reliability as I did not have that with the XPS M1730 after investing a significant chunk of $. Also, have been considering a desktop instead (realize that price would probably be half of what a laptop is) but I do enjoy having some portability around the house/deck so torn.
Just a quick note for those kind enough to assist me, while I am considering a desktop instead of the laptop I am probably not comfortable enough to build my own. If anyone can steer me in the right direction for good gaming laptops (or desktops) I would appreciate it. Also, please ask any questions of me that may help in your recommendation and that I failed to cover. Thanks!
I would basicly suggest a ASUS or Toshiba laptop. THose are the 2 brands that have the least fail ratio.
Asus ahs very good cooling system (something that most manufacturers fail at) in his gaming laptops.
I would suggest, that if generally possible, get Aluminium-build laptops, for durability.
With the price you are talking about, you can get almost any laptop that is not "past the point of reason" expensive.
As far as i know, Newegg is in US the best place to buy hardware from.
Ill give you some options, but i strongly recomend you look the site carefully.
Now, while i personally like MSI, ive had some problems with a laptop from them (had becouse someone stole it and i dont have the problem anymore lol ).
Id say, if you can afford it, an asus is generally the better option.