Windows 7 flickers in transitions

Solution
I copied this from the AMDforum:
"The only thing that has changed has been the card (and subsequently the drivers) and neither ATI or XFX will respond to the hundreds of customer complaints of this problem.

Don 't take my word for it, look around at these forums, and check out the other board manufacturers too. These are all reference boards so ATI *had* to know about the problem beforehand. There are complaints about flicker with the 5xxx on every computer forum I've visited (i.e. more than ten)."
http://forums.amd.com/game/messageview.cfm?catid=260&threadid=126657
so it looks like there maybe a vido card problem, anyway good luck

fattymole123

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2009
Hey guys,

I need a bit of help, everytime windows has the 'fade to black' and 'fade from black' windows 7 screen transition such as in the log off and log on screen and the shut down and boot up screen, it flickers like I am getting very poor fps (frames per second). Also while playing the game Oblivion, while looking down at the ground while running in one of the cities, I get invisible rolls up the screen like when someone films a computer screen - only transparent (no obvious lines)

My Rig:

i7 930
P6T Deluxe V2
6gb G.skill 1600mhz ram
Gigabyte 5870
BenQ g222hdl LED monitor

I don't believe it is to do with the video card because I have swapped it to another brand due to another reason and it appears to do the same thing.

I have installed all the latest drivers, using the windows update.

Any advice/ideas?

Thanks heaps everyone :)

JessicaD

Distinguished
May 4, 2009

Graphics problems are almost always related to the card / drivers. Have you attempted to use the Manufacturer's drivers and not Windows Update?

Jessica
Microsoft Windows Client Team

fattymole123

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2009
Hello Jessica,

I have gone to the ATI Website and dowloaded the latest drivers for my ATI graphics card.

The problem is still existent however. Do you hae any advice or suggestions?

Dom

JessicaD

Distinguished
May 4, 2009

What type of monitor do you have and what are the specs?

- Jessica
Microsoft Windows Client Team

number13

Distinguished
May 20, 2008
I doubt it's the monitor, especialy if the problem is consistant with one set of circumstances but not everything, video card drivers would be my guess, if you swapped an ATI card with a ATI card, you are only changing hardware and the drivers would be the same

fattymole123

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2009
Thanks for the replys,

I have a BenQ G2222HDL monitor, which is the LED LCD type.

I has a max refresh rate of 60hz (suprises me, i thought they would all go to 75hz now)

So i run it at 60hz on 1920 x 1080 resolution in landscape on 32 bit colour.

@number 13 - a driver issue would make sense to me however, on the disc drivers and the updated drivers the issue occurs, and i have researchedd google with absolutely nothing in this region apart from it being an issues in windows 7 rc. Which makes me wonder, why do I appear to be the only one with this issue?

I will ring the place I purchased the computer parts from again and demand why this is occuring.

number13

Distinguished
May 20, 2008
I copied this from the AMDforum:
"The only thing that has changed has been the card (and subsequently the drivers) and neither ATI or XFX will respond to the hundreds of customer complaints of this problem.

Don 't take my word for it, look around at these forums, and check out the other board manufacturers too. These are all reference boards so ATI *had* to know about the problem beforehand. There are complaints about flicker with the 5xxx on every computer forum I've visited (i.e. more than ten)."
http://forums.amd.com/game/messageview.cfm?catid=260&threadid=126657
so it looks like there maybe a vido card problem, anyway good luck

Solution

fattymole123

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2009
You are an absolute life saver, Numebr 13. That is great, I'm not alone! I think I will be changing to an Asus non-reference 5870 with voltage tweak or, I get a simpler card thats not ATI. Nonetheless I appreciate your help so much as well as all others that have contributed to this forum.

Thanks all! Have a great day! :)